Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 06:16   #871

Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you want the ultimate omni solution,
ciao!
Nick.
You need to stop! heh heh

George
Old 18-07-2011, 06:19   #872
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You're going to have to show me the math or independent empirical testing because I don't believe it. Array or not, one can't passively make energy out of thin air. "Gain" in an antenna, regardless of the number of elements, comes from the pattern, putting more energy in desired directions and less in undesired ones. The total energy is not increased. The math and the real world are very clear.

Wow! Can't say how glad I am to hear someone else state the correct information.

Being a commercial vendor, it is hard for me to put my .02 in without being "attacked", but I have to say that I agree with, and will back up that Auspicious is 100% correct. Those numbers are not real.

You can't have a 15/14dBi omni-directional antenna with a 25 degree spread, physically (and scientifically) impossible.
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:37   #873

Boat: Cabo Rico

OK... 59 pages on this subject and I have limited time.

I am interested in dramatically improving my wi-fi reception on the boat. Can someone summarize what the most common and best options are for sailors. I keep hearing "5-mile wifi" and am, of course, skeptical.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:02   #874

I don't know if this unit has been mention in this thread or not because of the high number of post, I didn't have time to read them all.
After trying 3-4 different wi-fi amps I ended up with a Wave WiFi.
Welcome to Wave Wifi, the #1 Name in Marine Wifi, Yacht Wifi, Marina Wifi & Wireless Internet

It works great.

I had it installed in Stuart, Fl several years ago. Before it was installed, I was getting 2 "Hotspots" on my Computer at the Whitcar Marina.
After it was installed, I was getting 16 different HotSpots.
I cruise most of the year in the Bahamas and like to use my MagicJack Phone. Most of the Marinas have Wifi, but a lot of the time my friends have to take their laptops to the front door of the marina to get a good signal. I set in my boat 100 yards away and usually get enough bandwidth to use the MJ.

Also, I got the model with the built in wireless Network and can use several Computers, iPads, Amazon Kindle, etc, at the same time.
I wouldn't be without it, in fact just traded boats and having it moved to the new boat.
Hatowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:06   #875

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I'm not using this yet but will one day (or similar).
http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/m261vp.html?___SID=U
It is proper HD, has Built-in WiFi 802.11n and puts out 400 nits.

Regards,
Extemp.
Thanks--- Extemporaneous! A very good reason.

After reading my posted question along with your post, I thought back to the early 1980s when I purchased my first computer. I had specific needs for the computer but I remember commenting to others at the time " Yes, the computer is great for engineering but I don't see how it can help the average person" WOW--- LOOK AT US TODAY!!!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:07   #876

Boat: Beneteau 50

You only need one direction at a given time. The next step for those wanting higher gain, is to use multiple sector antennas that are automatically switched to use the one currently pointing to the distant marina. Anyone know of products available for that? I'm thinking narrow slices of beamwidth to provide

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:40   #877

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
You only need one direction at a given time. The next step for those wanting higher gain, is to use multiple sector antennas that are automatically switched to use the one currently pointing to the distant marina. Anyone know of products available for that? I'm thinking narrow slices of beamwidth to provide

Regards,
Brad
... greater gain.

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:18   #878

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
If you download the spec-sheet you get to see the diagrams too.
Are the spec sheets working for you? They keep breaking my Acrobat reader. I'll keep trying ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
Wow! Can't say how glad I am to hear someone else state the correct information.
Thanks. I will say that just because the numbers are wrong doesn't mean some of the solutions don't work. It just means some manufacturers and retailers are less honest about their numbers than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am interested in dramatically improving my wi-fi reception on the boat.
Improving over what?

If you are using your inbuilt wifi on a laptop and want a portable solution the Alfa USB range extenders are fine. If you want a higher performance but permanent solution fixed to your boat than the Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP is still the way to go. You'll need to choose a separate antenna; I like the Air802 12 dBi omnis but there are lots of other good choices.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:23   #879

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatowner View Post
After trying 3-4 different wi-fi amps I ended up with a Wave WiFi.
Welcome to Wave Wifi, the #1 Name in Marine Wifi, Yacht Wifi, Marina Wifi & Wireless Internet
It looks like the Wave is just another repackaged Bullet, much like those offered by IslandTimePC and WifiForBoats. Doesn't make it bad, just allows you to cost shop and select based on other factors like included antenna and mounting options.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 09:00   #880

Quote:
It looks like the Wave is just another repackaged Bullet, much like those offered by IslandTimePC and WifiForBoats. Doesn't make it bad, just allows you to cost shop and select based on other factors like included antenna and mounting options.
Indeed, and I'd add "Technical Support" to that. I'm not familiar with the others but Tech Support with Island Time is tops shelf.

George
Old 18-07-2011, 09:21   #881

Quote:
It may be, but I know mine works and the support is superb. I've had to call them several times and I always got a human on the phone that answered my question.
I purchased mine thru GeoSat solutions 1-800-831-9818. I have no financial interest in their Company. Just like their product and service
Hatowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:33   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
OK... 59 pages on this subject and I have limited time.

I am interested in dramatically improving my wi-fi reception on the boat. Can someone summarize what the most common and best options are for sailors. I keep hearing "5-mile wifi" and am, of course, skeptical.
Go with the Wirie, any idiot, meaning me, can make it work without knowing what a POE is.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:57   #883
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Wave: yes, I wrote before that people who are going to need help with this stuff are better off buying it from a company that offers that support. Island Time, Wifi-for-boats and Wave are all selling the same hardware and add their support to get you going. When you order a Bullet from a distributor he is not going to explain you how to set it up (but you pay less $$$)

Wirie: no, that is not something I can recommend... this is just an Alpha USB adapter in a pelican case, incl. coax jumpers again. I see no logic in installing USB drivers again and dealing with length of USB cables when the Ethernet based products are here.

Auspicious: no problem here but using a MacBook so that's no surprise

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 13:16   #884
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:

Wirie: no, that is not something I can recommend... this is just an Alpha USB adapter in a pelican case, incl. coax jumpers again. I see no logic in installing USB drivers again and dealing with length of USB cables when the Ethernet based products are here.

As full disclosure, I am the owner of the company that sells The Wirie.

In our opinion, USB based systems are by far the easiest to set up and use for the general consumer. They fully integrate into many operating systems so no additional learning curve is present. You can be biased towards them, that's fine, but for people who don't want to understand all the words that have been typed over the past 3 days, The Wirie is a very simple and very good solution, as many unaffiliated person's have attested to. As far as performance The Wirie vs. Bullet based system, please read the Practical Sailor article for an unbiased review of performance (punchline: they both work equally as well).

Also, The WirieAP has no drivers, no coax, no usb cable, no poe cables, no Ethernet cables, no big technical terms, just 100% wireless WiFi. Just a simple 12V cable to install, with no technical know-how needed and you get a full on-board network to share the internet connection, or anything else. This ought to satisfy all the anti-USB folks, and even the anti-Ethernet folks since it doesn't use that either.
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 13:36   #885

The Wirie works; I never could get the Bullet to work. The USB connection is no big deal compared to the frustrating hours I spent trying to make the Bullet work. We have the AP but haven't been on the boat to try it. I am sure it will work too.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote