Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 15:57   #676

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Will let you know about IslandTimePC.
Just purchased their kit yesterday.
Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:22   #677
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Before purchasing, consider the following:
Are they using outdoor rated cable?
Are their products conformal coated?
Do they include connector protection compounds?
Will you need to cut and splice the cable and need a junction box? Is that included?
Are they available year round when support is needed?
Do their products cover a broad range of installation options?
Are there options available to expand their system's capabilities?
Are all of their components or accessories outdoor rated?
Have they attempted to make the use of their products easier through software or documentation?
How much learning will you be required to use the product?
What's the warranty?
Do they offer firmware upgrades? From where? For free?
What reviews have they received?

Cheers,
Mike

mlahrkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:35   #678

That's funny. I just spotted the reference to Flying Pig on Bobs site. I helped Skip rip out a lot of old gear on the Pig in prep for the refit. That was back before the time of Ubiquiti so I set him up with an Engenius system. I was to busy working on Rutu to help when the Engenius died I sent him to Bob who set him up with a Bullet.

To Fuss: if you are using a ubiquiti product as they say, "Tain't nuttin' to it." The Ubiquiti wiki has some excellent instructions but Leo Lindstrand put together a great beginner's Guide http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/Nano_Quick_Set-up.pdf
It says for the Nanostation but it works for for almost any AirOS device. Might be a little dated and not have all the current info but it is a quick cookbook way to set up a mobile client written so an 80 year old retired RV driver can understand.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:32   #679
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
John,

Can I suggest a "shake it out of the box" solution - it still requires you to install it, and you pay a small premium for it. However, I can tell you that Bob at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC has a decent solution, for a decent price, and his support is just outstanding. We have had one of his units for about 2 years now, and it works just great.
huh? afaik he sells the same Ubiquity radios with the same software... the manuals I linked earlier are as simple as any other.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 05:40   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
huh? afaik he sells the same Ubiquity radios with the same software... the manuals I linked earlier are as simple as any other.

cheers,
Nick.

The value added is in the support, and in minor mods.

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 07:46   #681

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
The value added is in the support, and in minor mods.
Ah yes support, of course. But the only mod will be the logo shown in the software interface of the radio (I have never seen any modifications made using the software development kit and modification of the hardware is prohibited by FCC etc. and I'm sure it's not done).

cheers,
Nick.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:20   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Ah yes support, of course. But the only mod will be the logo shown in the software interface of the radio (I have never seen any modifications made using the software development kit and modification of the hardware is prohibited by FCC etc. and I'm sure it's not done).

cheers,
Nick.
Take a close look the photos of the bullet on Bob's site. The bullet is a fine product but it has it's weak points.

George
Old 18-02-2011, 11:18   #683

The AirOS software interface is probably the easiest to use for even a novice and still gives you all the options so you can tweak it when you need to and very good docs when you need them. I can't begrudge him the price at $225. The bare parts cost about $150 and he does provide a cable that eliminates the need for a POE injector but there is nothing special about that antenna. At $70 the 8dbi Terrawave T24080 omni is much higher quality. A little longer but gives more ERP than the 6dbi he provides. I do like the optional replacement he machined up for the Bullet base cap that mates to a standard 1" marine mounting base. Makes a very neat installation but with such a solid mounting if anything snags the antenna the case of the Bullet is going to be the weak point. I prefer a little flexibility in the system.
Old 18-02-2011, 12:50   #684
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashmore View Post
The AirOS software interface is probably the easiest to use for even a novice
I'll have to disagree with this statement. I will agree that it is an easy interface - for a network engineer. Just check a few post back.

Quote:
A little longer but gives more ERP than the 6dbi he provides
They're already running at maximum legal power (36dBm EIRP). Putting an 8dBi on will require a reduction in output power which effectively negates any advantage the larger antenna may offer. And your pattern will be narrower. Where's the benefit?

Regarding the snagging: The longer the antenna, the less the force required to break something. Any system should be put in the best out-of-harm's-way place for max reception - the masthead (my opinion).

Anyway, it's all good. The important thing is to be a good netizen and not stick 12-15dBi antennas on fully pumped up Bullet2HPs.

BTW: No comments or opinions were directed toward any specific vendor or product. Everything's just generalities.

Cheers,
Mike
mlahrkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 21:11   #685

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Comic Relief?

So here it is....
What would the pluses and minuses be if I installed my WiFi antenna (don't have one yet) on top of my radar dome which is on a gimbaled mount of my mast?

Be nice...... or not

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 03:35   #686

How to set up a new Bullet in 5 minutes.

Here is all there is to setting the Bullet up from scratch fresh out of the box and all anyone can do for you in advance.

1) On your laptop go to Start>Settings>Control Panel> Network Connections
2) Right Click your wired adapter and select properties then Internet Protocol and click Properties.
3) Select "Use the Following Address" and set the address to 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway ti 192.168.1.20
4) Select "Use the Following DNS Server and set it to 192.168.1.20
5) Click OK back to the desktop, plug the Bullet into your ethernet jack and start your browser.
6), Navigate to 192.168.1.20 and log in to the Bullet.
7) On the Network tab set the Network Mode to Router, WLAN IP Address to DHCP.
8) On the lower half of the screen set the LAN IP Address to 192.168.20.20, Mask to 255.255.255.0, Enable NAT, Enable, DHCP, set a start and end range of addresses you want the Bullet to assign and click "Change".
9) On the LINK tab, set the Wireless Mode to Station, set the power to 36 minus your antenna's gain and click "Change" then "Apply".
10) Close your browser and repeat steps 1 and 2 to reset the address and DNS Server to Automatic.

Now any time you pull into an anchorage and want wifi browse to 192.168.20.20 and log on. On the LINK tab click the SELECT button and the Bullet shows you all the signals in the area. Pick the one you want and click "Change" then "Apply".

There are many more things you can do with AirOS that you probably will never need but when someone "simplifies" it and presets everything you are for ever locked out of optimizing your individual configuration.

Now, as to the 8dBi antenna. The Bullet 2HP can output a maximum of 29dBm. Add the 8dBi antenna and you are 1DB over the US limit. BUT on the LINK tab there is a little slider you can use to set the maximum power. Drop it just a notch and you are nice and legal but if you are anchored out in some lonely bay and the only signal is just a little to weak it is nice to have a dB or two in reserve.
Old 19-02-2011, 05:42   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
So here it is....
What would the pluses and minuses be if I installed my WiFi antenna (don't have one yet) on top of my radar dome which is on a gimbaled mount of my mast?

Be nice...... or not

Extemp.
If you are talking about an Ethernet device the one big problem I see would be the conductors in the cat V cable breaking from work hardening as the antenna swings back and forth. I USB type device would be better suited. I wouldn't do it anyway but it's your boat eh?

George
Old 19-02-2011, 05:50   #688

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is all there is to setting the Bullet up from scratch fresh out of the box and all anyone can do for you in advance.
Let me edit that super post to make it even simpler (and NanoStation is the same so I use the word "radio" instead) I added Mac instruction where different from Windows:

1) On your laptop go to Start>Settings>Control Panel> Network Connections. (Mac: System Settings>Network)

2) Right Click your wired adapter and select properties then Internet Protocol and click Properties. (Mac: Ethernet, Configure IPv4: Manually)

3) Select "Use the Following Address" and set the address to 192.168.1.1, net mask 255.255.255.0.

4) Click OK back to the desktop, plug the radio into your Ethernet jack and start your browser. (Mac: choose Apply, plug in radio, start browser)

5) Navigate to 192.168.1.20 and log in to the radio.

6) On the Network tab set the Network Mode to Router, WLAN IP Address to DHCP.

7) On the lower half of the screen set the LAN IP Address to 192.168.20.20, Mask to 255.255.255.0, Enable NAT, Enable, DHCP, set a start and end range of addresses you want the radio to assign (192.168.20.50 - 192.168.20.250) and click "Change".

8) On the LINK tab, set the Wireless Mode to Station, set the power to 36 minus your antenna's gain and click "Change" then "Apply".

9) Close your browser and repeat steps 1 and 2 to reset the address and DNS Server to Automatic. (Mac: choose "Using DHCP")

Now any time you pull into an anchorage and want wifi browse to 192.168.20.20 and log on. On the LINK tab click the SELECT button and the radio shows you all the signals in the area. Pick the one you want and click "Change" then "Apply".

Info: It is not needed to define a default gateway and nameserver for the initial radio configuration.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 19-02-2011, 20:10   #689

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
If you are talking about an Ethernet device the one big problem I see would be the conductors in the cat V cable breaking from work hardening as the antenna swings back and forth. I USB type device would be better suited. I wouldn't do it anyway but it's your boat eh?

George
Well, I buy that for sure, but frankly I thought there may be more reasons as to why not.
Just trying to brainstorm possible locations for different things.
Anyway.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 02:36   #690

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can get Ethernet cable with twisted conductors (all the patch cables are like that) to avoid the work-hardening/breaking problems.

cheers,
Nick.