Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 12:25   #586

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Since I was very involved in this thread early on with our self built Engenious system, I thought it might be time to jump back in. The Engenious system has served us well for a couple of years now, but it has started to hiccup on us. I suspect that it is because it has run constantly for over two years and we have just worn it out. Our new system is the Bullet 2HP with the same Engenious antenna we used with the old system. It is working well and we plan to add to it and maybe someone that has the set up already could help. We have just purchased the Cradlepoint router to connect to the Bullet so we have access anywhere on the boat with any computer. Has anyone connected the Bullet to a router to run this way? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 07:07   #587

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Richard,

Nice job on the Bullet Setup Document. My only comments are that when setting the static IP on the computer it is unnecessary to enter a "Default gateway" and "preferred DNS server" address.

Setting the static IP and then going back to automatic DHCP can be avoided completely by using ubiquitis "Discovery Utility" which can be found on their Support page.

All you have to do is plug in your Bullet, wait about 90 seconds for the Bullet to boot and your computer to give itself a self-assigned IP (169.254.xxx.xxx). Bring up the discovery utility, right click on the bullet IP, select "details", highlite the self-assigned IP and click the "WebUI" button.

The discovery utility is also useful if you want to set your Bullet as a bridge rather than a router. It will tell you what IP has been assigned to the Bullet and you can use this IP in your browser to connect to the Bullet.
Thanks Bob, points noted. Useful info about the bridge mode as well.

I had a look at the Discovery utility but noted it was a Java app, so needs JRE installed on PC.

I'm wondering for anyone starting with Bullet for the first time if it wouldn't be easier to just reconfigure PC LAN adapter for static IP initially.

Final version of instructions here as pdf file too big to attach.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 07:24   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We have just purchased the Cradlepoint router to connect to the Bullet so we have access anywhere on the boat with any computer. Has anyone connected the Bullet to a router to run this way? Chuck
I connected my Bullet set up as in post above (DHCP enabled) to my TP_Link WiFi router set as Access Point with Dynamic IP enabled on Network side.

Worked first time. Make sure you connect to LAN not WAN port though.

BTW have my Samsung TV with WiFi adapter connected to same WiFi network to allow media sharing from my laptop.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 16-09-2010, 11:17   #589
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula;
I connected my Bullet set up as in post above (DHCP enabled) to my TP_Link WiFi router set as Access Point with Dynamic IP enabled on Network side.

Worked first time. Make sure you connect to LAN not WAN port though.
I prefer to connect the Bullet to the WAN port. It will work this way without any changes to the factory defaults on most routers. If Chuck is using the popular CradlePoint CTR350 then he has to use the WAN port since the 350 doesn't have a wired LAN port.
Old 19-09-2010, 01:58   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The n-specification will be useless in cruising application for many years to come. By the time commercial (and even private) AP's have widespread n capabilities, there will be newer/better hardware to take advantage of them.

The Bullet M2HP has worse performance on the b and g bands (which are the bands you will find in use while cruising) than the Bullet 2HP.
The 802.11n issue is already acknowledged, however there are already several 802.11n AP's around the east & west Caribbean, admittedly mainly private, that I have connected to. The number of such can only increase.

Quote:
I stayed away from addressing the cost of DIY (which is the way I did it) because the customer and technical support associated with buying a commercial system is valuable to most people. But you are correct on the cost difference (although you forgot shipping costs, which add up for multiple items).

Mark
I didn't mention shipping costs as they are relevant to most people irrespective. Buying from the single commercial source I suggested may be cheaper though given their mail order turnover.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 19-09-2010, 03:28   #591

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
glycol no im not joking it will kill it and it stops wood rot also. I strayed the antifreeze concentrate on some moldy rotten would 2 months ago and all the molds gone it will take longer to prove the wood rot has.

I cant think were I first read it yet but if I find it again Ill put up the link.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:40   #592

May you please post in the right thread

If in doubt RTFM
Old 19-09-2010, 10:16   #593
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cole-
"The n-specification will be useless in cruising application for many years to come. "
Maybe, maybe not. Do you remember the trnasition from 11.b to 11.g ? It took maybe 3-5 years, but eventually all the b gear got branded as obsolete and all the new systems were shipping with g. Now, you won't fund any "b only" routers on the market and "g no n" is the old goods going on clearance.
You'll see the same thing happening now, and I'd guess we are about 3 years into that 5 year process. "draft n" was around long enough to kickstart it, and all the commodity level laptops are shipping with full n support. That places that have old routers installed will probably not replace them, so n will phase in with new hot spots first, then the older ones will catch up. If for no other reason than their own customers saying "What, you don't support this yet?" and shaming them into it as the price of replacing a router keeps coming down.
The new ones can be found for as little as $50-75, including dual frequencies, a/b/g/n support, better security (NAT and SPI), and the ability to provide a secured network for the owners as well as a second open "guest" network--firewalled apart into two LANs.
By all means, don't expect "n" support right now, but you can bet it will be there before the computer (or radio) you buy today has gone belly-up. The old "g" bullets and all may still be the better bargain, but their days are numbered.

Waterway-
"The Engenious ... has run constantly for over two years and we have just worn it out. " Uh-uh! Simply not possible, or extremely unlikely. ICs and solid-state electronics have an expected service life from 100-1000 years in continuous operation. Two years is just a warm up.<G> It could be a very early failure from defective components, but more likely it is a very repairable problem, like a cold solder joint, hairline crack in the solder joints, or moisture penetration. Cold solder joints are the bane of the cheapest-possible-source electronics industry. The moisture could just be a "clean and polish" problem, or it might be something has been rotted out, you'd have to go exploring.
But "worn out" ?? Hell no, that would be like wearing out a rock. Most unlikely in that short a period of time. Odds are a little time inside the case with a Mark I Eyeball will turn up a simple problem for a quick fix.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:45   #594

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Hello,

I guess it depends on where you cruise. From the Bahamas through the Caribbean, I believe it will be a long time before n-spec wifi is common. I agree with your analysis on the adoption of n in the industry. All my computers came with n on them 3 years ago. N-spec home routers are common on the shelves.

I will take the bet that by the time n-spec AP hardware is widespread down here that the radio you buy will be superseded by better performing equipment.

In particular to the bullet; my point was that it is better to buy the g-only 2HP and take advantage of its better performance than to buy the M2HP and hope for AP's to upgrade their equipment soon.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 13:16   #595

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
I prefer to connect the Bullet to the WAN port. It will work this way without any changes to the factory defaults on most routers. If Chuck is using the popular CradlePoint CTR350 then he has to use the WAN port since the 350 doesn't have a wired LAN port.
Bob, I am actually using the MBR900. Thanks. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 01:45   #596

Boat: Nordic 40 - Alpha Wave
After reading through 40 pages of posts, I feel like I've just finished a graduate course in wifi communications. Many thanks to the community for creating such a great resource.

I have been using a Ruckus Metroflex 2211 to improve reception in the marina (weak signal and tons of multipath), but am about to leave for the islands and am considering a Ubiquiti bullet solution.

The most convenient place for mounting is on my aft radar mast, which already houses a small Furuno radar, a "TriLens" luneberg lens radar reflector, the backup VHF antenna, and a GPS. The radar and radar reflector are stacked, with the other mounting points rising beside them from the base. If I mount the Ubiquiti unit there, the Bullet will be exposed to radar emissions at close range, and the bottom of the antenna will be level with the top few inches of the radar reflector.

My question is this: Will these conditions: 1) risk damage to the Bullet electronics, or 2) adversely affect performance?

I'd be grateful for any insights on this. The only other realistic choices would be to hoist the unit up the flag halyard to the first spreaders (inconvenient and some risk of damage to unit), or to clamp it onto the bimini frame on the opposite side of the boat (lower height, possibly shading planned solar panels).

Thanks in advance.
sv.alpha.wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 02:16   #597

The user of this installation reported that Radar when transmitting (not surprisingly) adversely affected WiFi performance. Its seems not to have destroyed Bullet & probably wouldn't but why deliberately put it in front of a highly focused radio pulse?

Having the antenna 10 feet or more above the water should give adequate Fresnel clearance.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 21-09-2010, 04:51   #598
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I'd be grateful for any insights on this. The only other realistic choices would be to hoist the unit up the flag halyard to the first spreaders (inconvenient and some risk of damage to unit), or to clamp it onto the bimini frame on the opposite side of the boat (lower height, possibly shading planned solar panels).
I've been hoisting my Bullet up the flag halyard for a year now. I have enough cable to actually install it on the spreader, or even on the top of the mast, but I have not done so. Why you ask? Because conditions keep changing. I fear that if I mount it permanently, I will not be able to position it at the optimal place for that anchorage. For example, if hauled up the flag halyard on the STB side, and the signal is off to port, the mast is in the way, so sometimes I move it to port, or hang it from the lazyjacks, halfway back from the mast. Sometimes the signal is coming from a beach bar at water level, and I think having it too high up makes it miss the signal and go right over the top, so then I lower the bullet. I've played around moving it, and then checking the signal strength, and there is no 100% best location on my boat. Except I really have not gone 60' up to the top of the mast, so I might try that next. So my advice to you is to be flexible, to try out a few locations before doing anything permanent, and with experience, trial & error, the best location will become obvious.

~ Susan
Old 21-09-2010, 06:59   #599

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Ours is mounted on the radar arch on a short extension of aluminum tube which puts it above the plane of the radar and clear of any obstructions.

In Richard's picture, it seems that mounting the Bullet just a couple of inches higher would put it out of the radar beam path entirely. If there is concern about induction on the Cat5 cable, ours runs through the path of the radar beam with no effect on the radio at all.

Susan, with an 8dB antenna at the top of the mast, you probably won't miss too many beach bar wifi's unless you are anchored right on top of them. At 60' up and with an 8dB antenna vertical beam spread of 16*, your beam will hit a wifi spot located on the shore 427' away (distance = 60'xTan82*). In practice, it will be less because the access point's antenna will probably be mounted higher than ground level and also have a beam spread that will shorten the effective distance. I often wish ours was mounted up there, but am too lazy to pull the mast and run cabling. A radar arch mounting seems the perfect compromise - higher up, clear 360* onboard sight lines. Do you have an arch?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 07:37   #600
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula;
The user of this installation reported that Radar when transmitting (not surprisingly) adversely affected WiFi performance. Its seems not to have destroyed Bullet & probably wouldn't but why deliberately put it in front of a highly focused radio pulse?
The user reported that the radar image had snow when the Bullet was operating. This installation has been up for over a year and a half without any damage to the Bullet.