Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 16:22   #466

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I can easily connect with the Port Ludlow Marina's signal when I'm anchored in Mats Mats Bay. That's 2 1/2 miles away and over a 200' hill.

So far, wherever I've been I've not had any problem getting multiple unencrypted signals with my 12 db masthead mounted antenna with a Ubiquiti M2 HP and (feeding via Ethernet cabling in the mast) Netgear LAN which is located belowdecks. The whole thing cost about $ 175 and it draws about a half amp at 12 volts.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 17:49   #467

I am based in Brisbane Australia, planning a trip up the Queensland coast on route to malaysia/phillipines.
I have a wireless modem for the laptop computer but the range is nothing great, and I would like greater coverage. (2-5 miles)

I am not that great when it comes to electronics so i thought I would buy one of Bob Stewarts systems.

Question; will that work in Australia and can the system also be used with a mobile phone.

A local electronics company is trying to sell me an Ericsson W30/35 which is a fixed wireless terminal for WCDMA/HSPA networks however it is Around $1,000.
Any comments
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 18:28   #468

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS
I have used 5 mi wifi for two years and am pleased with the performance. I am installing it on a new baot on the first spreader and hope for a little better range. Its always an offset if you use more cable vs loss of signal. My only complaint is the inability to communicate with the company. Its easy to order parts, but they don't answer e-mail. All in all, a good unit. It's superior to RV which I deep sixed.
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:17   #469

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I am based in Brisbane Australia, planning a trip up the Queensland coast on route to malaysia/phillipines.
Good on ya Beau

Have been up in Kota Kinabalu recently speaking to some oz yachties at Sutera Harbour (what a great place) and Mobile phone coverage is extensive and insanely cheap (like 20 minute phone call to oz for around 3myr, we used a Tune Talk - The Cheapest Mobile Prepaid Service in Malaysia | Now we're talking! sim card)

These guys were telling me that they use their mobile phone as a modem and up through the Philippines even the most remote islands had good coverage as its cheaper to put in towers than phone lines.

Have fun
Old 02-07-2010, 19:26   #470

Quote:
It's superior to RV which I deep sixed.
What do you mean my RV
Old 02-07-2010, 20:05   #471

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Beau, I know it can be done for substantially less than $1000.

For me the Wirie works fine ( I have a 24v boat), but if you are 12v, you can get the bullet 2hp based system. Low $200's (US) is all you need to spend.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I'm using the EUB 362 with a 9db rubber ducky as well with good results. I'm too lazy to haul it up high so I just hang it upside down from my speedo on the overhead.
I just have to say that when I first read this, I thought of swimwear - very odd picture!
gar37bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54   #473

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
I purchased the 5 mi wi fi and it works great! my issue is that it does not work with Mac and cannot be controlled through a router (i.e. hads to be connected to PC to select WIFI netowrk, etc. Soince we use a Mac we had to return but if you are a single PCuser it was freat. Hope that helps,

RR
rhrrhrrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:39   #474

Remote Wireless telephone system

I am looking for a way of extending the range of my laptop so i can get the internet further out, so I can communicate get weather forecasts etc.

I thought a sat phone/modem was the answer, but I was told by a dealer that a sat phone is OK for calls but not very efficient at transferring Data (very expensive)

He suggested I buy this
The price is USD$ 900.00. including an Antenna
How does this setup compare with the low cost 5mile wiif systems and Bob Stewart bullet based system.

Any comments/ experience.

Ericsson W30/35
Wireless Telephone System:

Up to 100km range with high gain antennae on Next G
Up to full 35km range for GSM communications

This wireless telephone system is for internet, broadband and voice through one box!

Boats can offer wireless internet and cordless phones to crew and customers on board without running wires. Calls can be received on a "ships telephone" number.
Technical Specifications:

- Can be connected directly to 12 volts.
- 12 volt adapter available.
- Tri-band WCDMA 850/1900/2100
- Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA, Category 11 and 12, up to 3.6 mbps (upgradeable to 7.2kbps at a later date)
WCDMA, up to 384 kbps
EDGE, multi-slot class 10 (4 + 1), (3 + 2) up to 237 kbps
GPRS, multi-slot class 10 (4 + 1), (3 + 2) up to 86.2 kbps
Two RJ11 ports, max 600m, up to 3 devices can be connected in parallel
Analog Fax Connectivity (T.38 fax of IP)
Two USB 2.0 ports (Print Server and Mass Storage)
Wireless LAN Access Point IEEE 802.11 b/g
Four ports Ethernet Switch (RJ45)
Protocols - Routing, NAT, ALG, DHCP and DNS Server
Security - Internet Security: Firewall, Packet filtering etc.
-Wireless Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2
-SW auto update
-Remote Management capability

Old 26-07-2010, 17:48   #475

60 miles for line of site communications? How tall is your mast? heh heh

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 18:16   #476
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Up to 100km range with high gain antennae on Next G
Up to full 35km range for GSM communications"

"Up to" should be your clue. Remember that you are not just using radios, you are using the proprietary communications system of your cellular carrier. They set their own rules as to how signals will be processed.

In the US, the carriers typically have programmed their towers to refuse any connection to a phone that is more than 32 miles (51 kilos) away from a tower. This is based on the teim delay in the signal and programmed into the tower software, it doesn't matter how powerful your signal is, it will be refused. You can try to ask your own carrier about similar limits, but here in the US they won't discuss anything technical with a customer, and the typical service rep will deny any knowledge of any limits. (We call it "lying".)

Note also that a "high gain antenna" means a highly directional antenna, you have to be rock solid and spend some time aligning it perfectly with the other location to make that connection work.

But in theory, if you are putting out enough power, and your carrier allows it, sure, a 3G cellular phone can make a 35km data connection. In theory. I don't know what they call "Next G" but if that means "WiMax", which is 4G in the US, that's got even greater range--again in theory.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 18:24   #477

HSDPA, Category 11 and 12, up to 3.6 mbps (upgradeable to 7.2kbps at a later date)

An upgrade for the mathematically challenged. heh heh

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 20:37   #478

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-m View Post
The spec sheet for Ubiquiti Bullets states an operating voltage "up to 24v". Some sellers of this product supply a 24v supply.

Can some-one confirm that the Bullet works just as well at 12v, without any loss of performance?
Before installing mine, I tested its performance with a variable power supply.
It was equally as good from 24 all the way down to about 8 volts measured AT THE BULLET.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 00:35   #479

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I am looking for a way of extending the range of my laptop so i can get the internet further out, so I can communicate get weather forecasts etc.

I thought a sat phone/modem was the answer, but I was told by a dealer that a sat phone is OK for calls but not very efficient at transferring Data (very expensive)

He suggested I buy this
The price is USD$ 900.00. including an Antenna
How does this setup compare with the low cost 5mile wiif systems and Bob Stewart bullet based system.

Any comments/ experience.

Ericsson W30/35
Wireless Telephone System:

Up to 100km range with high gain antennae on Next G
Up to full 35km range for GSM communications

This wireless telephone system is for internet, broadband and voice through one box!

Boats can offer wireless internet and cordless phones to crew and customers on board without running wires. Calls can be received on a "ships telephone" number.
Technical Specifications:

- Can be connected directly to 12 volts.
- 12 volt adapter available.
- Tri-band WCDMA 850/1900/2100
- Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
WCDMA, up to 384 kbps
EDGE, multi-slot class 10 (4 + 1), (3 + 2) up to 237 kbps
GPRS, multi-slot class 10 (4 + 1), (3 + 2) up to 86.2 kbps
Two RJ11 ports, max 600m, up to 3 devices can be connected in parallel
Analog Fax Connectivity (T.38 fax of IP)
Two USB 2.0 ports (Print Server and Mass Storage)
Wireless LAN Access Point IEEE 802.11 b/g
Four ports Ethernet Switch (RJ45)
Protocols - Routing, NAT, ALG, DHCP and DNS Server
Security - Internet Security: Firewall, Packet filtering etc.
-Wireless Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2
-SW auto update
-Remote Management capability

A cheaper and -- according to my IT people just as good fixed GSM terminal is the Option Globesurfer.

We have one of these for long range GSM voice plus 3G data, and besides that we have a Ubiquiti Bullet for long range Wifi. Both with heavy-duty outdoor antennae.

Neither system is fully installed yet -- I haven't mounted the antennae yet; still waffling whether to put them up the mast or not.

The Option Globesurfer really works excellently well -- your laptop logs onto it just like your wifi terminal at home, and it will automatically make a connection. Even without the external antenna it has much longer range and faster data connections than a regular GSM phone.

Ditto with the Bullet, with the antenna so far lying on the coachroof.

But I seriously doubt you will get any kind of 35km range with any of these devices. The GSM antenna ought probably not to be at the masthead in any case because:

a. Losses in the cable
b. I have been told that the GSM towers can calculate how far away you are from the timing delay, and will cut you off if you are more than 10 or 15km away, even if you have a good connection. Defeating the purpose of having the antenna mounted way high up.

The Bullet can be as high as you like, because the antenna is mounted directly to the terminal; the cable is Ethernet with practically no loss. But I'm sure there's much benefit to having it 75 feet above the water. I'm thinking maybe the second spreaders, or else an antenna pole on the transom.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 02:02   #480

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Keep in mind guys transmit power is not always the answer.

Just want to point out that a 1W transmit power with x feet of LMR cable adding up to 3dB in loss, is NOT the same as a POE unit with 500mW.

While, with the same antenna, the effective isotropic radiated power (EIRP) will be the same, the receive signal strength will be at least 3db less. Since the weak end of such a system is the received power (a typical wifi base station has 25mW output with crappy antennas) the POE unit begins to see major performance benefits over the higher powered unit with LMR cable.

Sorry just clearing that up
Quite right..a few things

The Alfa AWUS036H is now upgraded from 500 mW to 1 Watt. They have a newer 2 watt version AWUS036NH. Initially, one would think the newer version is better. however, this is untrue. it uses a different chipset and testing has shown it inferior.

The Wirie: AWUS036NH Test Results
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote