Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Live TV on iPad?

Is there a reasonably inexpensive way to watch live TV on an iPad? (I don't really have room for a dedicated TV - watching an occasional program on the iPad seems ideal). I can get OTA HD with an inexpensive antenna, but I can't figure out how to get the signal from the antenna to the iPad.

There are a few products (like the HDHomeRun) that pipe live TV to a network, which the iPad can then access via WiFi, but I don't really want to get into a full scale WiFi network on the boat just for that.

On the other hand, my plotter (Garmin 741xs) has WiFi capability (my iPod connects that way). Could the plotter serve as some sort of WiFi router? If I did install a WiFi network, is there other functionality I could use it for?

Other suggestions?
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:20   #2

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Re: Live TV on iPad?

So if I understand you, your question is, Is there a way to watch analog TV on your ipad?IOW, you don't have cable or wifi? I don't think that's possible because you'd need to run a TV tuner app on your ipad, which isn't capable of executing that type of file. Also, many companies are eliminating analog signals in favor of digital. You should also figure out how long you can access OTA signals in your area.

You'd likely be better off just buying something like Amazon Prime or Hulu+, to watch what you want when you want to. But without wifi, you'd be limited to downloading your shows when you have a good connection for later viewing.
Old 01-12-2013, 13:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I can watch streaming tv on my ipad via 3G, you could set up a slingplayer and watch that from your ipad (again it needs 3G).

I think there is a dongle that lets you watch broadcast tv on your ipad, but I can't remember what it's called. But I think you need an antenna to plug the dongle into.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I can watch streaming tv on my ipad via 3G, you could set up a slingplayer and watch that from your ipad (again it needs 3G).

I think there is a dongle that lets you watch broadcast tv on your ipad, but I can't remember what it's called. But I think you need an antenna to plug the dongle into.
Doesn't slingplayer require you to first have a cable subscription and cable box?
Old 01-12-2013, 14:38   #5

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
+1 on the Slingbox. Yes, you need some form of tuner, i.e. sat., cable or over the air tuner. Pay a friend or relative the monthly cost of a receiver in a guest room or office , I think Direct TV is $5/month. $15 for the iPad app, a data plan and your set. If only one of us is watching, we use the iPad, 2 or more, we usually hook it up to the onboard TV with a Lightning/HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. If you can get a reasonable Wifi connection, your watching for free, 3G costs you about 1gig of data for 4 hours of SD streaming. If you enjoy TV, I understand to some it's like having the devil aboard, it's a great alternative to the cost of and onboard sat. dish.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:04   #6

I should have been more clear - I'm trying to do this without an internet connection - no streaming. Streaming video chews up my data plan way too fast for casual use.

HD digital signals are broadcast over the air in many areas (including mine), and can be received with a simple antenna (either purchased for less than $50 or homemade for next to nothing). A tuner is also required, such as would be inside a TV. But since a iPad doesn't have a tuner, an external one is required, as well as a way to connect the tuner to the iPad (ideally by WiFi).

However, I haven't been able to find a tuner with built in WiFi. The HDHomeRun would be well suited, but since it's not WiFi enabled, I would need to connect a WiFi router as well. I suppose I could do all that, but I'd need to figure out how to power everything from 12 volts, stowage, waterproofing, etc., and if I go to that trouble, it would be nice to use the WiFi network for something besides TV. Not sure what, though.
Old 01-12-2013, 15:22   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

With the price of cheap 12 volt HD LED TV's nowadays (well at least here in OZ, think Kodan) its actually cheaper to get one of these with a decent TV antenna than go the wifi route.

Otherwise you can go with an Elgato Eye TV unit. They make various types, even ones for making a wifi hotspot for your mobile devices.

We have a Elgato USB tuner that fits our MacBookAir, and a cheap 12volt 3G/4G modem/router with wifi that allows the iPad, iPhone to receive the TV using their free app.

Please note none of the Elgato EyeTV units work any good with the supplied antennas. You will still have to add an Antenna ... even just a good set of Rabbit Ears will work OK if you arent swinging around too much. The supplied antennas do nothing in my experience.

HTH

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
With the price of cheap 12 volt HD LED TV's nowadays (well at least here in OZ, think Kodan) its actually cheaper to get one of these with a decent TV antenna than go the wifi route. Otherwise you can go with an Elgato Eye TV unit. They make various types, even ones for making a wifi hotspot for your mobile devices. We have a Elgato USB tuner that fits our MacBookAir, and a cheap 12volt 3G/4G modem/router with wifi that allows the iPad, iPhone to receive the TV using their free app. Please note none of the Elgato EyeTV units work any good with the supplied antennas. You will still have to add an Antenna ... even just a good set of Rabbit Ears will work OK if you arent swinging around too much. The supplied antennas do nothing in my experience. HTH Dave
I didn't think of the USB WiFi sticks - much less hassle than a router and wires. I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-12-2013, 15:38   #9

I don't think Elgato's are available in the U.S., and if they were, I don't think they'd work because the signal frequency is different. Even digital signals will require some type of tuner, hardware your ipad doesn't have. Without cable, wifi, or a tuner, your best bet is likely to buy Hulu+, Amazon Prime, iTunes season passes, or something like that. Download on free wifi when you can; then watch at your leisure.
Old 01-12-2013, 15:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
I don't think Elgato's are available in the U.S., and if they were, I don't think they'd work because the signal frequency is different. Even digital signals will require some type of tuner, hardware your ipad doesn't have. Without cable, wifi, or a tuner, your best bet is likely to buy Hulu+, Amazon Prime, iTunes season passes, or something like that. Download on free wifi when you can; then watch at your leisure.
The tuner is built into the Elgato devices. That's what they are.

Also, from the Elgato website:

"Elgato offers industry-leading TV and video solutions for the Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad and Android devices. With an extensive selection of TV tuners and its award-winning EyeTV software, Elgato offers a complete range of solutions to watch and record TV and HDTV. Elgato’s video products enable high-quality video recording and conversion for consumers and professionals alike. Furthermore, Elgato offers the world’s first truly portable high-speed drive featuring Thunderbolt technology. Elgato is privately held with offices in Munich, Germany and San Francisco, California."

Dave
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 01-12-2013, 15:48   #11

Quote:
The tuner is built into the Elgato devices. That's what they are.

Also, from the Elgato website:

"Elgato offers industry-leading TV and video solutions for the Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad and Android devices. With an extensive selection of TV tuners and its award-winning EyeTV software, Elgato offers a complete range of solutions to watch and record TV and HDTV. Elgato’s video products enable high-quality video recording and conversion for consumers and professionals alike. Furthermore, Elgato offers the world’s first truly portable high-speed drive featuring Thunderbolt technology. Elgato is privately held with offices in Munich, Germany and San Francisco, California."

Dave
That's great! They weren't available in the U.S. as recently as a year ago. I'd watched from afar as they went on sale in Europe. Glad to know they can be used here now.
Old 01-12-2013, 15:52   #12

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Just checked their coverage map and it showed coverage in Seattle, WA., Portland, OR., San Francisco, CA. & Los Angeles, CA.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:53   #13

Quote:
That's great! They weren't available in the U.S. as recently as a year ago. I'd watched from afar as they went on sale in Europe. Glad to know they can be used here now.
Don't know if they work in the US, though seems strange that they have an office there if they didn't.

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 01-12-2013, 15:58   #14

Quote:
Don't know if they work in the US, though seems strange that they have an office there if they didn't.

Dave
According to the coverage map, Dyle has access to most major U.S. markets. Dyle has been around for a while, so I guess the two companies signed a contract recently. This seems like a really inexpensive solution, if you're happy with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Univision, and Telemundo.
Old 01-12-2013, 16:12   #15

Quote:
According to the coverage map, Dyle has access to most major U.S. markets. Dyle has been around for a while, so I guess the two companies signed a contract recently. This seems like a really inexpensive solution, if you're happy with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Univision, and Telemundo.
Hmmm ... found this CNet review .. not at all very positive!

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au