Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 13:33   #1

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200
List of all available options for wind instruments?

Hello,
I own an Ericson 38-200 and have to replace all of my instruments due to a lightning strike.

The boat had the basic raymarine i50/60 tri-data wind, depth, and speed instruments and I may just go back with them, but want to know my options.

So far I have seen packages from

Raymarine i50/60
Garmin Gwind
B&G
Nasa Clipper
Stowe

Any other options? I want simple, robust, reliable, and cheap. I do not care about nmea2000 and full synchronization of all systems. I do not care about advanced features: I would rather improve my skills. The boat will be equipped with a CPT autopilot and use Open CPN for charts. In the future I may add a radar and AIS transponder.

I would appreciate any leads as I am willing to look off the beaten path for instruments.
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 14:43   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: List of all available options for wind instruments?

I certainly don't know all available options for wind transducers, and simple, robust, reliable, and cheap don't usually go together. You say you don't care about N2K, but you should think more about it, it may be the most economical way to go. My boat didn't have a wind sensor and I ended up getting a B&G 508 sensor with 20M of N2K cable for $500.00. This gives you the wind sensor AND your N2K backbone that runs down the mast. Then all you need to do is attach other sensors/transducers with Tees and drop cables. For the display you can get a multi-function display that will take the place of a bunch of dedicated 4" displays, give you a chart plotter, autopilot control and allow you to add radar at a later time. I got a remanufactured BG Zeus 2 9" from Defender for $750 (still available). Most 4" displays are $400-500 each. Also, if you want to add AIS later it will also plug into the N2K backbone.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:53   #3

I am not opposed to nmea 2000, I just don't want to pay a premium for features I will never use.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:16   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 47

How do you plan on hooking it in to your future system? If you decide to get radar and view it on a mfd it is a lot easier to use NMEA 2000 vs buying multiplexers, etc for the old standard or converters for seatalk. I just bought a B&G to get around playing the conversion game. Having said that I did get a lot of mileage out of an old ray marine unit by adding an ITC-5 converter and hooking it into my old seatalk network.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:33   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

For just the wind sensor, take a look at Autonnic Research. It's the lowest priced option for a full fledge sensor I was able to find. The NMEA 2000 one is about $300 from the UK, but you can get a 0183 sensor and run the thinner cable down the mast to a N2k converter if you want (they have both). I've only had mine installed for a few weeks, but it has been great.

https://www.autonnic.com/sensors

Matt
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm3i View Post
I am not opposed to nmea 2000, I just don't want to pay a premium for features I will never use.
I was like you once. Then I got wind instruments with features that I never thought I would use and was shocked at how useful they were lol.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:11   #7

Boat: C&C 38

I got a DigitalYacht WindSense and am quite happy with it. I like seeing wind data on iPad or phone from anywhere on the boat. Seemed to be lowest cost instrument as no display needed. Completely reliable, also puts out 0183. It seems WiFi instruments might be a good choice to build on for future. Masthead sensor is well made.

Ron
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:16   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Well the ultrasonic sensors are simple, reliable, and robust. Unfortunately not so cheap. The Calypso portable looks good though and is competitive on price.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:27   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Frankly.. There is no better deal right now than the B&G T41 Triton deal on Defender (Boat show special).
Wind, Depth, Speed, GPS, Position, Course, Heading, Sea Temp and everything you need to connect it all $999.. This is the same kit I paid $1500 for just 2 years go.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...782&id=4510353

You might be able to "cobble" something together that is cheaper, but I just don't think its worth it. You will probably end up near %75 of this cost and who knows what you will get.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

Speaking of wind sensors, can anyone give me a reasonable explanation for the garmin "race" sensor being about $700 more than the standard one?
It has exactly the same specs but it is on a 1 metre rod.
Really? $700 for a piece of tubing?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Something to think about, there are some good systems (I have looked at Garmin) with wireless wind sensors. Running cable to the masthead is not only a pain but a significant source of problem down the road so may be worth the extra to go for a wireless option.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

NASA clipper tells what is does on the tin , cheap and reliably great customer service and parts available also cheap
I am afraid it is the same old story of technology getting amazing with their fancy screens and telling you how much wind the local whale is giving of as it passes you
what did we do 10 years ago sailing, we think we need it, we use it , we swear by it and vow never to be without it , then we lose it or it breaks and think what was all the fuss about as we remember what we did before it !!
something like a phone people swear by as well !!
and what do you mean your RADAR AIS DRS AUTOPILOT, WIND , TOILET LEVEL, ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM, GPS ,WATER LEVEL, DIESEL LEVEL , YOUR NEXT MEDICATION DOSAGE, AND THE DOGS DINNER BELL will not be displayed on your 9 inch 2000 dollar
screen with nmea 2000 protocol which should be all color coordinated , but hey you bought a Garmin good luck linking it with your Raymarine
AH much better ty.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55   #13

Boat: O'Day 40

Wireless is attractive but won't work on tall masts.

If my mast were shorter I'd be tempted but I'm not sure wireless will be less trouble long term than wired.
Old 07-10-2018, 14:28   #14

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! There are some very good suggestions in this thread, especially the B&G package.

Does anyone know of any nmea 2000 standalone displays?
Old 07-10-2018, 14:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Wireless is attractive but won't work on tall masts.

If my mast were shorter I'd be tempted but I'm not sure wireless will be less trouble long term than wired.
Yep, our mast is 55' tall.

Tags
men, rum, wind