Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 05:32   #1

Exclamation Linux based Navigation Software for the eepc and XO laptop

We have Navigation software for Linux available for the ASUS eepc laptop and the OLPC XO laptop. The software also runs on other Linux based systems.

There are currently 2 versions of our SeaFarer Navigation software, a full featured free edition and a retail version. Both versions come with tide support.

In the very near future we will have GRIB weather overlay.

We also have available a Linux based sonar called SeaView. SeaView is a pc based fish finder that allows you to also record your runs for later playback.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Barco Software LLC
Barco Software, LLC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sfscreen4.png
Views:	1338
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	2728   Click image for larger version

Name:	sv-trc.png
Views:	822
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2729  

Barco Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 13:15   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
This is great! I'll be installing a Linux-based PC on the boat to be a media PC (MythTV). If Seafarer works as promised, I'll ditch the copy of XP on my laptop as well.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 12:56   #3

How about a Linux program to run like Airmail. To use the Pactor modem for Winlink and Sailmail??

I just put a copy of XP on my new Eee PC for ONLY that use.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 07:59   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I tried to install the seafarer_free_edition-1.5.2-1.i386.rpm on my XO computer but it asks for some dependencies which I'm having trouble finding:
libexpat.so.1
libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)
libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2)

Can you point me to where I can get these please.

Thnks
Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 08:12   #5

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
How about a Linux program to run like Airmail. To use the Pactor modem for Winlink and Sailmail??
Yes, yes! I am craving this too - otherwise it's WINE on the embedded Linux boat-control system or Bootcamp/Parallels on the Mac. I hate "me too" posts on forums, but couldn't resist...

SeaView looks interesting, btw!

Steve
Old 28-02-2008, 11:34   #6

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
And to think....

And to think the guy from GPSNavX (the MacENC people) told me they've seen virtually no demand for a Linux version...

I'm surprised, since the worldwide Linux desktop market is estimated to be about as big as the Mac market. Numbers are way under-reported. You can probably estimate by the number of systems accessing the various distribution repositories for updates. You certainly can't use sales numbers!

It's nice to see that SeaFarerLX supports BSB 3 (and soon 4/5!). That way I'll be able to use my existing Maptech charts. Barco - any timeframe?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:11   #7

Boat: Dufour 35
Thumbs up

Great to see you here "Barco Software"! I installed Seafarer 1.5.2 some time ago on Kubuntu 7:10. No problem.
Congratulations to releasing Linux versions of your programs. Way to go for the future.

As for XO dependencies: Generally with a rpm based Linux, check for example rpmfind - linux news and resources or similar sites to find which packet contains the necessary dependencies. Note that don't know the specifics for XO.
On my Kubuntu two dependencies are mentioned as necessary for installation:
libc6 (>=2.3.2.dsl-21)
libstdc++5(>=1:3.3.4-1)

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 14:03   #8

Boat: Own make, Gypsy (catamaran), 28 ft, Milonga
Wonderful how fast I find an answer on my question!!! I'm only a member since half an our, looking exactly for this.
In the "Meets and Greets" thread I did write: "Now I'm looking for navigation tools that should be light, easy, economic (Amps and money) and I'm now discovering the world of Linux and open source software, hoping I won't drown in this new flow... "
I have been asking around in The Netherlands for Linux Maritime Navigation Software and everybody thought it didn't exist. And here it is!!
I wanted to be sure, since I am planning to switch from MsWindows to Linux and using a light Laptop like Asus eee.
Frans Bertels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Bertels View Post
Wonderful how fast I find an answer on my question!!! I'm only a member since half an our, looking exactly for this.
In the "Meets and Greets" thread I did write: "Now I'm looking for navigation tools that should be light, easy, economic (Amps and money) and I'm now discovering the world of Linux and open source software, hoping I won't drown in this new flow... "
I have been asking around in The Netherlands for Linux Maritime Navigation Software and everybody thought it didn't exist. And here it is!!
I wanted to be sure, since I am planning to switch from MsWindows to Linux and using a light Laptop like Asus eee.
Every now and then i look around for some Linux navigation programs on the net. Here you go for some stuff that I found:

Grib file viewer:
Viperfish

Gps Drive, mainly for land navigation:GpsDrive - a free car (bike, ship, plane) navigation system
Could possibly be adapted for maritime use.

Links for those interested in celestial navigation: The sky in your computer - Software for Linux

Lots of interesting programs on Xaxero, WxFax etc.
Xaxero SkyEye Weather Fax, Satellite Weather and offshore communications

SeeMyDEnc Data Viewer, for S-57 charts etc:
sevencs.com

Tides at JTides: * JTides Home Page
Look for more java programs on the net, basically they all work on Linux.

Xtide the best free tidal program. Run from the command line, as an Xwindows program or as a webservice: XTide: Harmonic tide clock and tide predictor

If you have a webserver( for example Apache) running on your local computer, you can run any JavaScript - based program. You will find quite a few relevant pages if you search!
As an example, if you are into astro-navigation, look here:
A Short Guide to Celestial Navigation

What about all you other linux users reading this; Any more interesting programs out there, that I have missed??
Old 03-03-2008, 05:37   #10

Boat: Own make, Gypsy (catamaran), 28 ft, Milonga
Tanks Cagney, I'll continue my exploration. Gribfiles and tidal programmes for example will be very usefull for the future. Celestial navigation is now at the moment a littlebit further away for me but nevertheless very interesting and usefull: First things first; Linux, a light board computer, and sailing....!
Frans Bertels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 14:08   #11

Does anyone have a contact number or email for Barco? There's no contact info on the site. I've been trying to create an account so I can download the software and use their forum but it seems like there's a hangup in their system and no way to let them know.

Also, does anyone have any experience using Seafarer Lx with an AIS reciever? I just bought an eeepc and am hoping I can use a Milltech SR161 with the standard Xandros operating system.

Thanks,

Nick
ssnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 14:38   #12

I had no problem login in on Barco Software LLC Community Site a few minutes ago.
Just try again!!

From their site:
Mailing address
Barco Software, LLC
PO Box 158
La Crosse, WI 54601 USA
Sales: barco.info@barcosoft.com
Support: barco.help@barcosoft.com

Old 14-03-2008, 22:43   #13

Has anyone tried this software?

I went to the Barco website and downloaded the software for linux. It would not install on my linux computer. I happen to be a linux professional with years of experience. For support, Barco provides a forum. There seem to be only a couple of users at most on any of the forums. They express confusion. They get no help. The post that starts this thread talks about the XO laptop, which might be ideal for cruisers because it is robust, water resistant, very low power and cheap. On the site there is no information about the XO laptop. I happen to own an XO myself and would love to find a nav package for it. Alas, Barco Seafarer appears to be nothing but vapor.
alanwesthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 03:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwesthagen View Post
I went to the Barco website and downloaded the software for linux. It would not install on my linux computer. I happen to be a linux professional with years of experience. For support, Barco provides a forum. There seem to be only a couple of users at most on any of the forums. They express confusion. They get no help. The post that starts this thread talks about the XO laptop, which might be ideal for cruisers because it is robust, water resistant, very low power and cheap. On the site there is no information about the XO laptop. I happen to own an XO myself and would love to find a nav package for it. Alas, Barco Seafarer appears to be nothing but vapor.
I have just upgraded from Seafarer 1.5.2 to 1.9.0 on my Kubuntu 7.10, using Barcos free-version Debian packages. It installed cleanly, with the exception that it did not include a qt sqlite driver as a dependency, but this was obvious from some error messages.
There is also a rpm package for the 1.5.2 version.
So why exactly couldn't you install Seafarer? Did you actually attempt it on the XO or some other linux-box?
If I had an XO i would download the deb-package, extract it and copy the directory-structure to the XO, check that all dependencies where installed and then try it!! Have a go at it. Should be OK for a "professional".

I have not tested Seafarer with a gps etc, what I can say is that
it loads normal, display charts and generally seems to work.
It definitely deserves further testing and consideration.

"Barco Software" started this thread stating among other things: "If you have any questions please let us know."

Time for you "Barco Software" to answer those questions, or was your post just a one time advertising??

Old 15-03-2008, 05:58   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
As I said previously I tried to install the seafarer_free_edition-1.5.2-1.i386.rpm and had to get a bunch of dependencies and when I installed those they asked for others and so on. I finally gave up... went back to SeaClear...I'm not a professional.

I wrote my own AIS/GPS simulator to test these programs out without having to be on the boat. Surprising the things you find when you can see actual targets and get CPA/TCPA alarms. I found one problem with SeaClear is that is doesn't have sound on the XO when running under wine.

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, navigation