Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2016, 18:31   #91

Boat: Morgan 462
Re: Lightning strike! Now what?

Update 9/16/2016:
Its finally done! Got the call at lunchtime today, other than a couple of bulbs for the mizzen spreader lights, the repairs are complete. I should have the paper works to finalize the insurance claim on Monday, and as soon as I have the funds I can pay the yard and sail away!! Can't wait :-)

-David

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 12:26   #92

Congrats!

Old 18-09-2016, 16:15   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Congratulations! Do share with the forum what you have learned about dealing with insurance, the yard, and the like. Most of us have not been in your situation, and you can turn the tables and help prepare us for when we are in your shoes.
Old 18-09-2016, 17:33   #94

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Congratulations! Do share with the forum what you have learned about dealing with insurance, the yard, and the like. Most of us have not been in your situation, and you can turn the tables and help prepare us for when we are in your shoes.
Fortunately the insurance adjuster I've been dealing has been very fair so far, and I can't complain. While I still have to deal with a $5000 deductible and depreciation, he has been more than reasonable. He took the written estimates I was given by the boat yard and replied with a "schedule of claim" that noted the amount covered for each line item. Labor is covered in full, and parts and replacement equipment are depreciated at the appropriate rate (e.g. 10% per year for electronics, 12% per year for batteries, etc). He could have been much more aggressive with the depreciation, and his restraint has been most gratifying. One catch is that, since the bank that gave us the loan is named as a loss-payee, he has to write the check in both names. He then has to send it to me, I have to endorse it, send it to the bank who will deposit it and then send me a check. I can then deposit this check, and then have the funds to pay the yard. Kinda a pain to have to go around and around, but it's not the end of the world.

As to the yard, I've been pretty happy with them too. There was very little scope creep, and anything extra was discussed first. I could have used a little better communication as to status updates etc, and I've had to follow up pretty regularly to know where things stand. But the project manager is a decent guy, and overall I'm happy. Of course I have not seen the final bill yet ;-).

I think in everything, communication is the key. Since my boat is 2 hours drive away, I could not be there as often as I'd like, certainly not during the week when the yard was actually open. They did allow me access to the boat on the weekends to do some jobs unrelated to the work they were doing, and I respected their rules as to what was appropriate for me to do in their yard - after all, it's not a self-service yard where you can do whatever you want.

If anyone has some specific questions I'll be happy to give what insights I can...

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 17:34   #95

I'm sure David will have great info. I also had a major strike end of April that hit my 2000 Hunter 380. I just received a quote Friday (4.5 months later). I'm happy that David is back in the water. I have been documenting my "travels" and will post when I have a happy resolution.

Tags
lightning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: