Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 08:56   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Lightning strike! Now what?

Pay particular attention to the thru-hull transducers. Lightning frequently likes to exit via them, especially the depth sounder one. This leaves the transducer seriously compromised and could sink your boat.
bobfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:29   #17

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

DreamCatcher has been struck 3x- twice minor damage( no claims) and once major in 2007 wiping out virtually all electronics. Agree with others first thing to do is get adjuster there to document what is & isn't working. Everything was perfect before strike-RIGHT. Find yard that you trust to then let them do their own survey and compare the results. Yard preferably will let you decide what you want them to fix and what you will do yourself and discount your final bill. Be sure insurance estimate allows for extra things found during the actual repairs as well as replacement for items that authorized dealers say can not be cost effectively repaired. Put off final settlement as long as possible because electronic things will keep dying relatively soon after the strike, In my case 5 LED lights on electric panel died originally and 5 more within 2 months. Cheap to replace but but need to remove whole vertical row to change one. Radar died 1 week after received final check. Depending on details of your policy strike can be a blessing or curse. I ended up with all new electronics(except) radar for 10 year old stuff with virtually no out of pocket expenses except for basic deductible. Fried laptop counted toward deductible but despite being used for navigation considered "household item". At that time living in FL. & had Allstate and believe was the largest boat they were covering. Rates never changed but switched to other company when resumed full time cruising in 2011.
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:52   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm sorry it happened; what a bummer of a way to start ownership. Yes, the adjustor has to come first. Anything you do before that survey will just complicate the settlement - pretend that the boat belongs to the insurance company for now, despite the urge to start repairs of your own. Then, settlement in hand, decide what you will do and what a pro will do; if you're handed a check, or an allowance per item, you may be able to save some money by doing part of the job yourself. Even if pros do it, look over their shoulders - this is a golden opportunity to learn about the inside of your boat. You might ask the adjuster if you can move the boat to a more convenient location for the work.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:04   #19

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
The wiring inside of the mast is probably toasted as well, unstep the mast is another thing to consider ....
Mine was.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:09   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Doing a 2 keel to masthead replacement of lightning damage on a 45 ft cat at the moment. IF THE INSURANCE CO. PLACES ANY LIMITATIONS ON ANY SUSPECT EQUIPMENT, GET IN WRITING THAT FUTURE FAILING WILL BE RESPECTED BY THEM. Argue replacing to "as was", means replacing to full working condition. That depreciation clause and time frame is not your doing, and ask them if they can find you good 10 yr old gear to install ?
Old 24-07-2016, 10:10   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfromcanada View Post
Pay particular attention to the thru-hull transducers. Lightning frequently likes to exit via them, especially the depth sounder one. This leaves the transducer seriously compromised and could sink your boat.
Mine did and didn't put it to together with the strike till 2 years later. Good point.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:15   #22

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
If you have insurance, call them first. They'll tell you how to proceed.
YES YES YES. IF YOU GO OFF AND START DOING THINGS ON YOUR OWN, THE INSURANCE MAY NOT COVER IT.

INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE PROFESSIONAL ADJUSTERS WHO COME OUT AND ASSESS DAMAGE.

ARE YOU INSURED????
charleshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:22   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
My new (to me) boat got struck by lightning at the dock this past week. When I went down to the boat on Friday I found pieces of the VHF antenna on the deck, and then started finding various systems were damaged. Radar/chart plotter won't power up, same with backup plotter, A/C is working erratically, masthead lights are dead, starboard nav light is out, ElectroScan head is not working, etc. Other things seems OK - depth sounder, wind speed/direction, both VHFs (even the one connected to the blown away antenna!), battery charger (I think).

Since I'm new to the boat I don't know the systems yet, so properly evaluating them is going to them is going to be a challenge. Any suggestions on how to go through everything to figure out what is ok, what can be repaired, and what just needs to be tossed and replaced? And how best to deal with the insurance company to get a fair shake from them?

I'm thinking of hiring a professional marine electrics/electronics guy to help step me through evaluating the systems, rather than just have them do it for me, then at least I'll learn something in the process. Any suggestions on someone in either the Fort Lauderdale or Fort Myers areas that you would recommend?

Shitty way to start out with a new boat that I've owned for one week, but it's hard to control Mother Nature

-David
David that sucks big time I must say.It reminds me of the day coming back from a tuna fishing trip off Cape Of Good Hope and being followed by a storm cell with lightning hitting the water numerous times just a mile away or so close you could see the steam rise from the sea.We managed to outrun it in the good bit of extra wind it was carrying .
Scary stuff so I suppose you have to thank your lucky stars you were not aboard when the lightning struck and that your keel is still whole .What is the hull made of ?
Better luck during the next twenty years never mind a week and happy days to you on the sea.
Regards David Dade
Old 24-07-2016, 10:25   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshagen View Post
YES YES YES. IF YOU GO OFF AND START DOING THINGS ON YOUR OWN, THE INSURANCE MAY NOT COVER IT.

INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE PROFESSIONAL ADJUSTERS WHO COME OUT AND ASSESS DAMAGE.

ARE YOU INSURED????
Yes, I am insured, exactly a week to the day before I discovered the damage. I also have the pre-purchase survey to show what was working prior to the strike. As eager as I am to just "get it done", cooler heads are prevailing, and I'm waiting on anything else until I've spoken with the insurance company tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone, for all the good advice!

David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
David that sucks big time I must say.It reminds me of the day coming back from a tuna fishing trip off Cape Of Good Hope and being followed by a storm cell with lightning hitting the water numerous times just a mile away or so close you could see the steam rise from the sea.We managed to outrun it in the good bit of extra wind it was carrying .
Scary stuff so I suppose you have to thank your lucky stars you were not aboard when the lightning struck and that your keel is still whole .What is the hull made of ?
Better luck during the next twenty years never mind a week and happy days to you on the sea.
Regards David Dade
Cape of Good Hope? That's where I learned to sail!! Originally from Simonstown, my dad was in the SA Navy and we used to go out on their Centurions in False Bay. I'm a long way from there now, but Cape Town will always be home

Boat is fiberglass, and has a dynaplate bonding system that may have helped prevent worse damage. Guess I'll only know for sure once it's properly surveyed...

-David
Old 24-07-2016, 11:24   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I hope the insurance covers the electronics. Make sure there are not HI Pot shorts in your wiring before letting the insurance co. off the hook.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:30   #27

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Do Not do anything until your insurance has sent an adjuster and you have the go ahead. I was struck by lightening 3 years ago and the adjuster had the boat hauled and searched for pinholes in the bottom ( I had none but just to be safe he looked) He took one look at the electrical/electronics and ordered it to all be replaced. I was able to choose who did the work and they paid him directly and reimbursed me for my expenses on the haulout, dockage at the nearest marina etc. I had no deductible to pay as it was covered by the comprehensive part of the policy. I made it a condition of the job that I was consulted on everything put in. I used the services of a local boat builder (Gozzard Yachts - Builder of high priced custom boats) and had no objection from the insurance company.
BTW I was able to upgrade some items such as the autohelm in consultation with the adjuster and I just paid the difference. I was even allowed to change from Raymarine to Garmin as was my choice and it cost me nothing extra
As a ret'd Marine Electronic Tech (Canada) with many instances of being asked (hired) by customers who suffered lightening,fire & other insured damage & then dealing with insurance adjusters- Steve O is giving the correct advice.
Your responsibility,as owner,is to immediately advise your ins. co. & to do or arrange to have done,what is reasonable to prevent more damage-after you get the ins. co. permission. By preventing more damage-I mean to the overall vessel-such as getting a pump aboard if vessel were sinking at dock,etc. Note the word reasonable-read as "make an honest effort" but do not endanger yourself or others.

Also,as one of those shifty E.Techs who are gonna make some $$ off your bad luck,I recommend the following:

The ins. co. will pay for everything that is reqd to put your vessel & all eqpt. back into "as it was" condition.(Most likely-better because everything is new)
The (shifty?) supplier of the eqpt. & labor will provide & cover future warranty -only if supplier does the work or gives you written permission to do the work
The supplier should be the "surveyor" of the eqpt. He will not want to warranty an existing piece of eqpt. just because it appears to work now. I had some instances of eqpt. go faulty after it had been back in service a bit-hidden damage- when I first started & it cost me.
The ins. co. will ask that you accept & sign off on repairs.They are generally not interested in "warranty" after claim settlement

You will have the choice,within reason,of the new eqpt.- like for like is the general ins.co. rule.

If you wish to be aboard & learn a little while work is being done,it is your boat. Be reasonable with the tech/supplier & don't hold them up.They have quoted the job & have reasonable expectation of doing it in their estimated hours.
Believe it or not-some of us know what we are doing & are even human
Your main job is to find a tech. like me!!

Cheers/ Len
Old 24-07-2016, 12:04   #28

Len, great advice, thank you! I'm trying to see the silver lining in this all. Fortunately I have a very recent survey of the vessel, which was provided to the insurance company as part of the conditions of coverage. There were no significant issues with the electrics or electronics in the survey report, which should give me a good starting position with the insurer. I'll know the electrics and electronics intimately by the time this is all completed, and that knowledge will be invaluable in the future.

David
Old 24-07-2016, 12:52   #29

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Already emailed them to start that process, and will call them Monday morning. My biggest concern after reading through the policy is the depreciation they can apply to the items that need replacement. Just take the radar/chart plotter for example - it may be new to me, but it was installed in the boat in 2006. According to the policy wording they can depreciate electronics at 10% per year - does that mean after 10 years they can claim it's worth nothing, and the replacement cost is on me?

-David
You can search for a similar equipment of the same age on ebay. If it can be found it may serve as a proof of market price and base of value of your equipment for remuneration by the ins. comp. Next stage - either you buy the used equipment on ebay or pay the difference for new.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 14:09   #30

If you got epirbs have them checked out, ours got fried from a lightening strike, along with the alternator, all solenoids, almost anything that required electricity, and the biggest joy was finding various insulated wires suddenly without insulation. Learned that from having a series of shorts. So at least check out all wiring to make real sure the insulation is intact. Any through hulls made of non metal should also be checked, if not gotten rid of and replaced with bronze.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning