Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2007, 17:33   #1

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
Licensing for SSB

I obtained an older, but functioning, ICOM 600 SSB which came with my sailboat. It seems to work fine but I realize it needs to be licensed.

I have gone on the FCC website and could not find any specific information on licensing a SSB.

Can anyone send me the thread to where I can find the right place to obtain a license application? Or am I looking at the wrong place.

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:09   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Call the FCC, toll-free, ask for the licensing division, they will explain it all to you. Their web sites can be overwhelming.

The vessel needs a license for the installation, and at least one licensed operator has to be on the boat, so you're dealing with two licenses to get just the one "installation" plus one licensed operator.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 03:47   #3

FCC - Ship Radio Stations
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 06:54   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Iit also says on that page (posted on link above) that they stopped requiring licenses in 1996 for boats that are going to be operated domesticly and within 100 miles of shore.

Do I Need a Ship Radio Station License?

On October 26, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket No. 96-82, FCC 96-421 (text, WordPerfect), eliminating the individual licensing requirement for voluntary ships operating domestically which are not required by law to carry a radio. The paragraphs below describe how the rules affect the maritime public.
WHO NEEDS A SHIP STATION LICENSE?
You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The terms "voluntary" and "domestic" are defined below. Although a license is no longer required for these ships, you may still obtain a license (and call sign) by following the procedures outlined in Section IV.
WHICH SHIPS ARE VOLUNTARY?
The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. In any event, the term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
  • Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea;
  • Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.;
  • Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways;
  • Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways;
  • Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and,
  • Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio.
WHAT IS DOMESTIC OPERATION? Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit as described in Section III.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 07:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
vonotto, notice there that it refers specifically to VHF and the thread has been discussing SSB. HelloSailor's advice is correct.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 08:09   #6

The link I gave takes you directly to the section on how to apply for the license's which is what the OP wanted.

Eric

VONOTTO

You should have read the next paragraph :-)

WHAT RADIO EQUIPMENT MAY I USE? You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC. On April 17, 1996, the U.S. Coast Guard suspended enforcement activities concerning FCC Radio Station Licenses carried aboard voluntary ships
Old 20-08-2007, 08:35   #7

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
I read the whole thing but did not see he said he just had SSB......excuse me
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 11:04   #8

It doesn't matter. If you have a marine SSB, then you must have a station license. That license then covers all your transmitting equipment including VHF, whether you are required to have one or not.

Eric

Your input is welcome of course. You just misinterpreted the rules, which is easy to do anytime your on the FCC web site :-)
Old 20-08-2007, 17:50   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Here is a link to a thread about getting the license online. I was able to do it with no problem. It only took a half hour.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...online+license

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 05:11   #10

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
thanks Charlie for finding the old thread on SSB registration. No wonder there is so much cost to run the government. They must have a couple hundred people just putting the FCC website together. It is huge and not easy to navigate. What a surprise!

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote