Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 12:25   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
LED lighting

I want to replace the lighting (interior) on my boat with led for all usual reasons but I am thrown off by the cost.
Does anyone know why there would be such a premium for new fixtures. It seems as if there is more going on than just the bulb.
I have 20 fixtures so the cost is substantial
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 12:45   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: LED lighting

Why not just re-use the fixtures you have? You can find LED bulbs to fit at marinebeam
Old 26-09-2015, 12:52   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I thought the same thing about 3 years ago. My existing fixtures were $260.00 new with LED bulbs. I ended up buying adapters so I could use LED bulbs. I don't remember the cost but it was way cheaper, mine used single element automotive type bulbs, the adapter changes it over to a G4 base and there is several choices for G4 led on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 15:48   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

A minor/significant point on LED selection...

Most/many 'marine' LEDs have voltage regulation built into the bulbs in order to deal with a boat's '12 volt' system, which we all know can reach well over 14 volts.

LEDs from most other sources usually lack this feature, especially those from less expensive sources.

That is not to say they won't work. Indeed they will probably work fine. However, you can expect shorter lifetimes, so 1) buy spares and/or 2) don't use them in critical applications or hard to replace locations.

And, yes, I have had very good results with cheaper LEDs.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 02:30   #5

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I thought the same thing about 3 years ago. My existing fixtures were $260.00 new with LED bulbs. I ended up buying adapters so I could use LED bulbs. I don't remember the cost but it was way cheaper, mine used single element automotive type bulbs, the adapter changes it over to a G4 base and there is several choices for G4 led on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Are you happy with the results. I did that once and was not all that pleased
Hence my questions
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 04:54   #6

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

I ditched my old overhead fixtures and replaced each one with approx twenty inches of self adhesive LED strip lighting. Works great and a 20' roll was less than $15.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 05:12   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Are you happy with the results. I did that once and was not all that pleased
Hence my questions

FWIW, we replaced some of our incandescent G4s with LED bi-pin discs. Warm white, all good as far as lighting goes.

Then we eventually replaced all of those and the remaining incandescent G4s with newer bi-pin discs from marinebeam. Warm white, more LEDs so more lumens, better room coverage, all better as far as the lighting goes.

The original LED discs were showing some signs of excessive heat on the backplanes; the newer marinebeam products include lots more "stuff" on the backplane, presumably to deal with voltage regulation (as did the earlier ones) and also heat.

-Chris
Old 27-09-2015, 05:30   #8

Boat: sloop 35'

I replaced all my interior incandescent bulbs with led bulbs from a truck stop. The truck stop had the same size bulbs in different wattage and colors to choose from. After buying a couple and testing I replaced them all. If they did not not light just turned around to reverse polarity and worked. My boat is dry inside. For the outdoor and navigation lighting fixtures I replaced with approved marine brands but the truck stop ones are still working for over two years now. Good luck.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 05:35   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

All my interior lighting I replaced with LED'S I got off eBay. About $14 AUS.
I replaced by Nav lights with LEDs too, I think they were about $35 each.
The most expensive was my all round and anchor light which was a high quality one from my mast/rigging shop who installed it whilst the mast was down along with a deck/flood light.

I think the steaming light was also replaced, but not sure if it was replaced with an LED. Of course being steaming it doesn't need to be LED, just LED mean no future bulb changes.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:38   #10

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

If you have or think you'll ever install SSB, or want to do onboard off-air TV reception, I suggest you first purchase and try/ test just one LED replacement first before refitting the whole boat. Also while it's harder to hear/ test LED interference on your marine VHF... inexpensive offshore LEDs can indeed cause enough RFI to cut down on your VHF receive range. This can be especially so with sailboats with mast top VHF antennas sitting just inches from a 'screaming' inexpensive LED bulb installed in a tricolor or anchor light. To make matters worse, LEDs are not equal opportunity polluters. That is... LEDs can emit interference in some areas of the spectrum and be quiet in others. If you might have an interest in marine SSB (or ham radio) aboard or TV aboard I'd recommend contacting a local amateur operator in your marina/ area and ask for his help in checking out your LED for potential interference. In the end, it well worth the trouble to convert all the boats lights with quiet LEDs. I can light up my boat like an operating room if needed and the amp meter shows 2a!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 16:45   #11

Boat: Fantasia 35

W3GCA,

Do you have any suggestions for RFI free LED lights?

Thanks,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 16:53   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
W3GCA,

Do you have any suggestions for RFI free LED lights?

Thanks,

Paul
Build your own with components from Ebay (Cob leds and driver boards). Then add filtering (Capacitor and inductor) on the input. Its the only real way to ensure you have RF free LEDs.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:11   #13

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45

If it has not been mentioned, to to superbrightleds.com and check out their selection of led bulbs and stuff for your needs.... I replaced all of my lights on my different areas with white/blue led modules and on the installation put a on/off/on toggle switch that also turned on a red led module....
Old 30-09-2015, 03:37   #14

DR LED is great, very bright. Same brightness as the old halogen bulbs.
The cheep LED's are not very bright. They are bright if you look directly at them, but they do not create a well lit area.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:53   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Dr led and Marinebeam are great. I like the bulbs that can alternate between white and red or other colors all by flicking the switch an extra time. Use cheap bulbs like the vendors at the boat shows sell and you can set your boat on fire. Anyone want a bag of slightly used G4 led bulbs?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting