Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2009, 20:11   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
I bought a DC-DC converter from Lind Electronics for our laptop. It wasn't necessarily cheap at around US$70, but it's efficient, designed specifically for the power requirements of each laptop, and in the end cheaper than ruining the laptop from unfiltered power at the wrong voltage.

That would set you back 100 to 150 now looking at there web site....not everything electronic is getting cheaper I guess.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 20:40   #17

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
I did a qiuck search and found the following seller who looks a lot cheaper for decent quality (although I have NOT used the product so am only going on the info provided)

High Reliability Auto to Laptop DC/DC Converter for for Toshiba, Tracer, Trogun, and Twinhead

Now all I have to do is,
  1. make sure the boat I am hoping to acquire in a couple of weeks has a cigarette socket,
  2. check the house battery and alternator are in good order,
  3. probably consider installing a backup solar panel or wind generator,
  4. get a hand held GPS compatible with my Toshiba Notebook and
  5. workout what mapping software and maps suit my needs and budget?
Please feel free to add to the list; for instance back-up laptop, mounting bracket, independent monitor as dual entertainment system (not going outside when I am looking at a water resistant hand-held GPS), spare laptop batteries, spare GPS batteries……..,,,,,,,

And I wanted to keep things simple!

Old 15-11-2009, 22:05   #18

FWIW...I highly recommend wiring any Cig. lighter power outlet directly to its own circuit breaker with appropriate wire size to it...big enough to run say a powerful hand search light...you know some one is going to do it..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 16-11-2009, 01:05   #19
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post

Now all I have to do is,
  1. make sure the boat I am hoping to acquire in a couple of weeks has a cigarette socket, .......................

And I wanted to keep things simple!
FWIW, I would toss most cigarette sockets overboard UNLESS you have that extremly rare beast - a high quality cigarette socket and plug. Most are just not up to offshore use.

Fit just about any other sort of plug and socket instead IMO
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 02:11   #20

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, I would toss most cigarette sockets overboard UNLESS you have that extremly rare beast - a high quality cigarette socket and plug. Most are just not up to offshore use.

Fit just about any other sort of plug and socket instead IMO
Thanks Mate - unless one of my mates who is into electronics can give me a few trips I will have to check the plugs available on the laptop leads and work back from there?
Old 16-11-2009, 02:35   #21

Boat: H28
I understand from David M's very succinct posts that laptops modulate their internal voltages very precisely.
Mine has an input voltage of 18.5v, and according to the battery the output voltage of it is 10.8v. Therefore I assume that the 18.5v is required to charge the battery and run the computer but the machine itself only needs 10.8v to operate. Since my battery is completely kaput (it will not hold a charge) could I not remove the battery from the laptop and run it (the laptop) from the ship's 12v system, dropped to 11v and regulated to avoid any spikes or surges?

Chris
Old 16-11-2009, 03:19   #22

Boat: Koch Muiden, 37 foot ketch
I like a simple life and have installed a pure sine wave inverter to run my printer and the laptop (a Mac as I don't like unreliable computers and viruses on board!). It is an Ozzie one made by Selectronic and its 200 W. It has never failed and I can run a Bamix (I like to cook!), my laptop and my printer. No need for the 12 volt adapters etc etc. Easy.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
I understand from David M's very succinct posts that laptops modulate their internal voltages very precisely.
Mine has an input voltage of 18.5v, and according to the battery the output voltage of it is 10.8v. Therefore I assume that the 18.5v is required to charge the battery and run the computer but the machine itself only needs 10.8v to operate. Since my battery is completely kaput (it will not hold a charge) could I not remove the battery from the laptop and run it (the laptop) from the ship's 12v system, dropped to 11v and regulated to avoid any spikes or surges?

Chris
Chris..

I remember the post Mark is talking about but I cant remember what thread it was in...If I remember correctly the poster was telling us he knows how to hook 12v straight into the battery..effectively using the battery to modulate the voltage to the computer in its normal way.

I'm hoping he returns to explain his technique further...He caught my intrest.

Old 16-11-2009, 04:21   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
could I not remove the battery from the laptop and run it (the laptop) from the ship's 12v system, dropped to 11v and regulated to avoid any spikes or surges?

Chris
Hi Chris

yes, can you be the guinea pig? (NO hamster jokes please,. I am still upset)

I received a nice PM after the original post saying bung the 12 volts straight into the computer and the laptop will work! It just won't charge.

I don't know if the voltage needs to be regulated.

It would be great if saomeone could experiement with an old laptop as if sucessful we could all save hundreds of dollars!

I also agree with Wotname that cigartette lighters are ****. I have broken 3 of them and just got an new (expensive ) one that appears more robust - it doesnt fit the screw holes though!

To get around the cigarette lighter issue and to make things a bit prettier in the nav station I bought some 12 volt sockets and plugs that are neat black circles that fit discretely into the panel and the plugs are quite small - a bit larger than a mobile phone power jack.
I want to cut the cigarette adapters off all the chargers I have and plug in to nice looking plugs.

If we could do away with the 12 volt to 18 or 19volt computer adapter that would be even better! Then just ahve to plug it into the big socket to charge the battery...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 05:01   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Here's a new DC-DC from Mini-Box that can take a wide voltage input (6-24vdc) and output just about any regulated voltage between 5 & 24 volts. I haven't used this yet but I've found their other wide input products to be good.
Old 16-11-2009, 22:41   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I would be VERY surprised if ANY laptop didn't have internal voltage regulation.

My current laptop needs 18 volts, so I use a dc-dc converter, but my previous one ran straight off a cigarette lighter socket with no mods at all. If the house batteries got low, it would complain a bit, but there was no damage at all. Motoring with 14.4 volts made it very happy, and the internal battery would even charge a bit.

BTW I replaced it with a faster one. The previous one is still working and has been moved to my wife's sewing room.
Steve B.
Old 17-11-2009, 04:22   #27

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Lightbulb 12VDC for laptops

I have an old IBM ThinkPad which I use to run MAxSea, Weatherfax etc...it needs 16V to charge the battery and run the computer.....
!2VDC just doesn't work....
I have a small DC-DC converter to produce the 16V at 4A from the 12V input

I have a back up Laptop that needs 19VDC...and a different plug !
I run that off a small inverter...and use the original power pack.

You need the real voltage to run these things...12VDC just doesn't make it...

IF you manage to run yr Laptop from 12VDC, you will kill the battery eventually.

The reason they need greater then 12V is that they really need 12 V internally and the only way you can guarantee that is to have an input voltage that is substantially higher then 12 V.
Old 17-11-2009, 05:44   #28

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
true as i have a 12v laptop and it just stops running after some time as the house battery drops to about 10v. this happens under sail as not having a wind or solar panel. the laptop just flips between charging / battery power and finally dies as the internal laptop battery drains.

i was thinking of building a dc dc converter what can still work on say 9v input but keeps the output on 12v.

i knows that the ice guys do have lots of experiance with this kind of stuff as when starting a car the voltage drops quite low and they like to keep their car pc's running even when starting the engine.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:34   #29

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
If the battery is kaput, remove it from the laptop. Hook up your 12v and go. As long as in battery operation it doesn't require more than 12vdc(your 10.8vdc right?) to run your ok, but you HAVE to remove the battery. Re: Stability - Don't run any high current/high draw devices with the computer plugged in. If you want to be able to operate normally, get a new dc adapter for it. Some stabilization IS necessary IF you run other high draw devices. In other words, don't go kicking on the reefer while the computer is on as the voltage drop from the reefer startup will either lockup the comp or knock it down. Too many of those and your going to Fry's or WallyWorld for another machine.

A direct hookup will work in a pinch but not advised for continuous use without the proper adapter. And DEFINITELY not with the battery in place.

Bitman:
Yep it's just a matter of regulation and line conditioning, but I think below a certain level it'll fall out anyway.
Here's a few nifty things:
High Reliability Auto to Laptop DC/DC Converter for all computer models.

and here
Car PC, 12V Vehicle Computers, the makers of VoomPC
But not for long! Now she's gone!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:18   #30
R_C

Boat: 38' Marine Trader
And watch out for voltage drop. I use two Lind Electronics DC-DC converters for our two laptops. Our boat has 12V outlets throughout but when I first connected the Lind to these outlets it did not work. With the laptop's load, the voltage drop on a good length of 18AWG wire to the outlets produced less than the 11V minimum the Lind needs. A converter that will work down to 9-10V would be nice. My solution was to run a new circuit with 10AWG wire to two 12V outlets just for the laptops. The cigarette lighter outlets have their problems but they can handle the amperage. Some DC plugs and jacks are only rated for 2-3A. My Lind converter shows it can draw up to 8A.

- Rick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: