Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 20:19   #46

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Laptop computer aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
We have one small cheap computer no frills that is used for bill paying ONLY. We never open e-mail or surf the web download any programs except a good anti virus and firewall. While not perfect we feel it is more secure for doing finances.

I think you worry to much.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:09   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat, Roughwater 41 trawler

We use 2 Toughbooks, one running W7, the other W10. I actually prefer the W7 version as it is able to dim down further for night-time use. They are very rugged, have a very low failure rate, backlit keyboard which helps at night, red "F11" key so I can quickly eliminate the white bar across the top of the screen when running OpenCPN. Touchscreen as well. I get them on ebay for around $400 and then swap out the hard drive for a SSD drive.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:07   #48

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I think you worry to much.
Not really got hacked in Nassau managed to catch it before there was too much damage and get new credit cards. Good luck to you thinking the world is wonderful.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:55   #49

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
+1 on a 12V charger.

I use a previous generation MacBook Pro. 90% of the computing horsepower at 50% of the cost. You can find them refurbished with a warranty. Also have a recycled linux laptop that we leave aboard for a backup.
What charger do you use on the Mac? I have been looking for a 12v solution for my Macbook or my Air and haven't had much luck with it.
Macblaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:02   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

traveller, don't believe the FUD.
While there are laptops and smartphones that check for the "correct" power adapter, there is no high technology there. They all use a simple pull-down resistor on the hot lead. If the value of the resistor is "x", the supply power is "y". If the value of the resistor is 2x, the power supply is 2y. Substitute your own values, each vendor is different. The Lenovo machines will complain about mismatches--but still run just fine. And the value of the resistors is documented online for almost all makers.
On smartphones the pull-down resistor value can mean "This is a quick charger" "this is a headset" or any of several other things. It is a common (shh! SECRET!) technology.

Whether I'd trust a CE-certified (no UL, no FCC) Chinese made lowest price power adapter on my laptop....I guess that depends on how full the fire extinguisher and how empty the rum bottle were. Either one.(G)

Deborah-
If you are really serious about security, you need to be using a VPN. Most are at some cost, but there's also a FREE one built into the Opera (free) browser, that appears to be legitimate. As extra insurance, I won't use a "free wifi" even if it is password protected, to do any financials. I'll set up a wifi private hotspot through my cell phone, which doesn't guarantee it can't be intercepted, but between the lower much odds of that, and https, it is significantly safer. Arguably "safe" against anyone but goverment agencies, when combined with https and the VPN.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What charger do you use on the Mac? I have been looking for a 12v solution for my Macbook or my Air and haven't had much luck with it.
What I use....

I have 2 of these DCDC-USB-200, Intelligent DC-DC converter with USB interface

One is used for charging the MB Pro.... the other runs a 19V ship's PC ( Acer Veriton L670...cost about $US100) and an LG screen.

Prior to the 19V PC and LG screen I was using one of their 12v/12v thingoes to drive a 12V screen and mini PC and iron out any voltage spikes....

The only extra you need for the MB pro is the cable to plug into the puter, mine came off my original 12/19v charger which was a bit of Ebay junk that put out so much RFI it was positively radio-active.....

The Minibox ones are very quiet..... I do unplug when getting NOAA sats as they a very weak signal stuff (and VHF) ... normal HF radio work = no probs.

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 13:27   #52

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
While there are laptops and smartphones that check for the "correct" power adapter, there is no high technology there. They all use a simple pull-down resistor on the hot lead. If the value of the resistor is "x", the supply power is "y". If the value of the resistor is 2x, the power supply is 2y. Substitute your own values, each vendor is different. The Lenovo machines will complain about mismatches--but still run just fine. And the value of the resistors is documented online for almost all makers.
On smartphones the pull-down resistor value can mean "This is a quick charger" "this is a headset" or any of several other things. It is a common (shh! SECRET!) technology.

Whether I'd trust a CE-certified (no UL, no FCC) Chinese made lowest price power adapter on my laptop....I guess that depends on how full the fire extinguisher and how empty the rum bottle were. Either one.(G)

Deborah-
If you are really serious about security, you need to be using a VPN. Most are at some cost, but there's also a FREE one built into the Opera (free) browser, that appears to be legitimate. As extra insurance, I won't use a "free wifi" even if it is password protected, to do any financials. I'll set up a wifi private hotspot through my cell phone, which doesn't guarantee it can't be intercepted, but between the lower much odds of that, and https, it is significantly safer. Arguably "safe" against anyone but goverment agencies, when combined with https and the VPN.
Being a boatie, we want everything for free. You can also set up a vm using free VirtualBox running the free "Tails" distro with Tor browser. Very secure for most purposes!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 00:31   #53

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
While there are laptops and smartphones that check for the "correct" power adapter, there is no high technology there. .
Depends if you have a Dell and define a 1wire chip as high tech. but you're wrong, more than some resisters going on in there.

https://hackaday.com/2014/03/03/hack...dentification/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:45   #54
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

conachar-
I'll go halves with you. If you read the screen messages on those Dell's carefully, they say the user MAY NOT GET OPTIMAL CHARGING with the unknown adapter. They do not say that the computer will not or cannot charge or function properly with it.
FUD.

This is Dell's apparently new and clever innovative way of terrorizing (and that's what it is, terrorism) the customer into buying a proprietary product, instead of one made by the competition. One more reason in a long list of why not to buy Dell.

Last time I did business with them my client said "We changed our schedule, we want the new server in THIS WEEKEND" which meant looking for something in stock somewhere that came close to what they needed. Dell had "returns, available to ship immediately" that came close, so we ordered one for next-day delivery. Next day comes and goes, no server. Called back Dell...could only get voicemail. Called all week, could only get voicemail. Finally, five business days later, someone picks up the phone. (Five days, for a business-to-business division of a company to answer a phone?) Oh, let's see...the corporate Amex didn't go through. Gee, and no one could call us to see if maybe you got a number wrong? "Yeah, well, we've been terribly busy." I said thank you, I can help solve that. Cancel the order.
Which went to IBM, which meant a three week delay to custom build the right machine, but the service was SO much better...complete with 24x7 phone support.

Michael Dell had some great ideas (like, when a component was out of stock, just use the next better one available, don't delay the order) but he also never really grasped the concept of how to run a business. Many people love the generally good commodity grade products, but many also say "DELL HELL" and will never touch them again.

The one-wire communications protocol (the chip obviously needs at least two or three wires to get power and have an output) is a nice idea for future expansion, but from what those links show for right now? It has been purely FUD.

I get similar messages on my laptop. I ignore them. It runs and charges quit happily, even if it won't let me run all the optional motors (which I don't have) and rapid charge a dead battery, at full screen brightness, simultaneously.

Physics trumps FUD, every time.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop