Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 13:35   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Kaito KA1102 question

Recently I purchased one of these due to it being raved about in certain corners of the internet. To go with it I purchased the HF Fax app from the Apple App Store. The issue I'm running into is I can't, despite my best fumbling efforts, manage to tune into any USCG weather fax transmissions. A quick search of past threads turned up a number of members that use this device. Could anyone clue me in as to how I tune this thing?

*The instruction manual was less than helpful.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 15:07   #2

Re: Kaito KA1102 question

We have a Sangean 909X receiver + the HF Fax APP. You can tune in the Weather Fax frequencies from this link. You have to tune 1.9kHz below the frequency to get the signal...ie. Listed frequency 8503.9 kHz is tuned on the radio as 8502 kHz...I don't know why.

It works better with an external antenna vs the attached extendable antenna. I have this antenna. When you tune the frequency during a transmission, it sounds sort of like a fax machine.

I've tried putting the iPad next to the radio and putting a set of headphones "onto" the iPad...seems to work ok. Better result was using an Amplitude iRig with a male-male headphone extension cord from the radio to the iRig and the iRig into the iPad...plus you didn't have to hear the fax and static.

Frankly this system is more of a novelty than a "real" weather set up, but I just wanted to give it a whirl to see how it works. If I was smarter, I would attach some pictures...but suffice it say they are grainy fax-like images.
mermaidmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 16:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmom View Post
We have a Sangean 909X receiver + the HF Fax APP. You can tune in the Weather Fax frequencies from this link. You have to tune 1.9kHz below the frequency to get the signal...ie. Listed frequency 8503.9 kHz is tuned on the radio as 8502 kHz...I don't know why.

It works better with an external antenna vs the attached extendable antenna. I have this antenna. When you tune the frequency during a transmission, it sounds sort of like a fax machine.

I've tried putting the iPad next to the radio and putting a set of headphones "onto" the iPad...seems to work ok. Better result was using an Amplitude iRig with a male-male headphone extension cord from the radio to the iRig and the iRig into the iPad...plus you didn't have to hear the fax and static.

Frankly this system is more of a novelty than a "real" weather set up, but I just wanted to give it a whirl to see how it works. If I was smarter, I would attach some pictures...but suffice it say they are grainy fax-like images.

Thank you for your reply! The issue I'm having is I can't actually manage to tune in the proper frequency. This radio has the least user friendly operator interface I've ever seen.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:25   #4

After a quick search, I see that it has an "SSB Button" and an "SSB Fine Knob" on the side. My guess would be that you have to press the SSB Button to put it into SSB mode, and then use the SSB Fine Knob to do the final adjustment. Is that what you are doing?

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:57   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
After a quick search, I see that it has an "SSB Button" and an "SSB Fine Knob" on the side. My guess would be that you have to press the SSB Button to put it into SSB mode, and then use the SSB Fine Knob to do the final adjustment. Is that what you are doing?
I have a 1103 but the method is the same, switch on ssb and fiddle until it sounds about right. Used for weather on a transat before, good radio even if the operating system is a bit less than obvious

Also used across biscay with an Android tablet and a wfax app, surprisingly good quality, much better than I expected, plenty good enough for use in the real world.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 07:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmom View Post
You have to tune 1.9kHz below the frequency to get the signal...ie. Listed frequency 8503.9 kHz is tuned on the radio as 8502 kHz...I don't know why.
Because weatherfax frequencies are listed as assigned frequencies which are at the center of the band. Most SSB radio's display and require entering the carrier frequency which for weatherfax signals, is 1.9khz below the assigned frequency.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 12:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

I did a fair bit of digging around the internet and finally managed to switch the SSB function on. The method found is something not touched on elsewhere, and involves holding the charging button and then pushing the SSB button. Why this isn't as easy as a simple button push I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I have a 1103 but the method is the same, switch on ssb and fiddle until it sounds about right. Used for weather on a transat before, good radio even if the operating system is a bit less than obvious

Also used across biscay with an Android tablet and a wfax app, surprisingly good quality, much better than I expected, plenty good enough for use in the real world.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
It truly is a less than obvious operating system. Now that I've managed to turn on the SSB function, I've found the display only reads MHz and not KHz. What meter should I be using?