Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 17:12   #1

JVCOMM32 Software - Help !

Is anyone using this software to receive weatherfaxes and rtty transmissions? I am trying the freeware version without much success so far. I have a Sony 7600gr SW radio and an Acer Aspire ZA3 netbook with an integrated soundcard, a Realtek HD Audio Output. I can tune in a strong fax signal, but this just comes on the screen a black and white nonsense. Is anyone out there able to provide some tips?
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:28   #2

Boat: CS 40
Re: JVCOMM32 SOFTWARE - HELP!

I've had similar problems but also some success. Getting a clean signal is not obvious depending on how much RF noise exists in your location. That being said, make sure you're tuned to USB and then adjust the frequency until the signal is split between the threshold. You should get most of the signal above or below the threshold with a spike on the other side (using the Spectrum window).
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:35   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Read the user manual. It is all there. If your signal is fine, you will obtain a crisp fax.

Tune using the included signal tune-up applet window. Then receive some, correct the (skewness is the word?). Next time you get a proper clean fax.

Make sure the parameters are set right. But they likely are if you used the default set-up and a typical fax station.

Use search on the threads as there is some relevant info on this forum posted not long ago.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Is anyone using this software to receive weatherfaxes and rtty transmissions? I am trying the freeware version without much success so far. I have a Sony 7600gr SW radio and an Acer Aspire ZA3 netbook with an integrated soundcard, a Realtek HD Audio Output. I can tune in a strong fax signal, but this just comes on the screen a black and white nonsense. Is anyone out there able to provide some tips?
One area which may cause your problem is your acer aspire vista! once you are connected with a mono cable between your radio and the MICROPHONE input, before starting jvComm2, check if you can hear the sound on your pc speaker.
I use WxSat which is a product similar to JV on a computer running XP and I receive those weather fax. Connected to my acer aspire vista with realtek hd audio, it does not work and i think the problem is related to acer vista sound card. Keep me inform of your progress because i have not found a solution yet.
gerard deroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 15:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard deroy View Post
One area which may cause your problem is your acer aspire vista!
Unplug the radio, plug in a mike, say something, check audio mixer - you should hear your voice thru the speakers too.

Then plug anything else via the same cable - say a small FM radio. Fire it up and check if you can hear it on PC speakers. NOT? Change the cable to another (mono vis a vis stereo). Now try again.

JVComm has a small sound monitor gauge built in - if anything comes via the the cable you will see the gauge move. You will also hear the (noise/whatever) via speakers unless you turn them down/off.

Etc.

b.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:36   #6

Hello All, Thanks for the advice so far. I've taken a few stabs at it but no luck so far. Sound out of the speaker etc... but a have noticed I only get brief spurts were the sound bar shoots up into the green zone. Not matter how I fiddle with the various volume/mic controls, I cannot get solid green on the meter. I'm using a Acer Aspire One netbook using XP and the sound card is a Realtek HD audio. Is it possible this sound card is not up to the task. I believe the manual mentions the sampling rate has to be at a certain level, but I was unable to finds specs on it. Anyone having success using a netbook with the same soundcard?
Old 22-01-2012, 12:08   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I believe the Sony has a stereo headphone jack. Your netbook almost certainly has a mono microphone input. I suggest you get a stereo cord (1/8" male mini to 1/8" male mini) and a 1/8" female stereo to 1/8" male mono adapter. The whole bit should be around $5 at Radio Shack in the US. I presume you have equivalent sources up there.

Try again and report back.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
(...) Acer Aspire One netbook using XP and the sound card is a Realtek HD audio.(...)
Same soundcard here in Asus Eee. No issues.

Unplug the cable both ends. Get a cheapo mic and place it over the radio's speaker. Now go back to the JV and tune to the sound of the fax.

You will hear the sound via the radio's speaker and the soundcard does not care if you use audio or mic in.

(If you do not want to wait for the fax just download a fax sound sample and play it from an mp3 player till you get the right results.) Use the player's speaker or the earhpone out line to the PC, etc..

It does not sound like you have a JV / fax issue. It sounds like you have PC / soundcard handling issue.

b.
Old 28-02-2012, 13:44   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been busy getting the boat ready but I will try some of the proposed solutions. I'm able to get a solid green bar now. We will see how it goes tonight.
Old 13-04-2012, 13:53   #10

Boat: MacNaughton/Kjellander 57
Re: JVCOMM32 Software - Help !

Did anyone of you try to use a Signalink USB modem connected to a HF radio and get it working with JVComm32 ? I can't get it working.

Johan on S/Y Bird of Passage SA4BZP currently in Orwell River Uk
BirdoPassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 14:22   #11

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdoPassage View Post
Did anyone of you try to use a Signalink USB modem connected to a HF radio and get it working with JVComm32 ? I can't get it working.

Johan on S/Y Bird of Passage SA4BZP currently in Orwell River Uk
I have not been able to use JVComm with the latest windows version. I do have a Signalink. Programs I use with SignaLink for various digital modes are mainly MultiPSK and FLDigi.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:57   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Interesting. I am having the same problem as mattyc. Kaito KA1103 and ASUS notebook running Windows 7. Connected with stereo cable and mono adapter, I get sound from the computer's speakers just fine but nothing but "static" on the fax screen. Interestingly, I get the same resuts if I unplug the radio. I too can get the audio input level into the green, but only momentarily. The same with the 'spectrum' window. I get a nice peak to sit in the white area, then it reverts back to an undulating display as soon as I stop fiddling with the tuner. My suspicion is that there is a problem with getting the signal to the computer. I am using an unshielded adapter cable (can't find shielded as yet in Borneo). Could this be the issue or am I missing something simpler still?

Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Interesting. I am having the same problem as mattyc. Kaito KA1103 and ASUS notebook running Windows 7. Connected with stereo cable and mono adapter, I get sound from the computer's speakers just fine but nothing but "static" on the fax screen. Interestingly, I get the same resuts if I unplug the radio. I too can get the audio input level into the green, but only momentarily. The same with the 'spectrum' window. I get a nice peak to sit in the white area, then it reverts back to an undulating display as soon as I stop fiddling with the tuner. My suspicion is that there is a problem with getting the signal to the computer. I am using an unshielded adapter cable (can't find shielded as yet in Borneo). Could this be the issue or am I missing something simpler still?
Your suspicion aligns with mine.

Check the documentation on the ASUS and confirm the mic jack is mono -- 99% or more are mono but every once in a while I come across a laptop with a stereo jack.

If you plug a headset into the Kaito does it work?

Can you borrow a microphone to plug into the laptop and confirm the hardware is working AND you have Windows set up to listen to it?

If there is an inbuilt microphone in the laptop try playing the fax signal (loud) over the Kaito speaker and run JVCOMM32 with just the inbuilt laptop speaker. If that works you know for sure it is the connection.
Old 23-08-2012, 11:48   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Last summer I got JvComm working on my Aspire one, but it took a bit of fiddling. As I recall, the problem was the skew setting was way off, but I think I found something in the manual to use as an initial setting and then used the program to correct the lines to vertical. I'd tell you what setting I was using, but my hard disk crashed with that info on it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 12:06   #15

I've had major skew problems before also, but if that is the problem you will be able to get the level up on the black/green/red bar graph and you'll see nice separation on the spectrum display.

Tags
software