Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 23:19   #16

Boat: Townson 34
Re: JVCOMM32 Software - Help !

I have been using JVFax for a long time and it is great. I need to pay up and buy the full version.
Anyway, set you RX to LSB and about 2 khz below the stated frequency. Take the audio from the RX and plug into your laptop mic input. Make sure your laptop have not been muted and the audio comes out of the laptop speakers. Set the level adjust to about mid way.
When the time comes for the transmission to start, you will get some tones. Make sure you set the balck and white carriers on their markers. Set JCFax to auto start and when the signal comes on let it run for a while. Then stop it and on the RHS there is a skew adjuster. Find somethinf that should be strainght like a vertical line of the border and click on the one side of the line and then the other. Accept that and start receiving again. You might need to redo this again for perfection.
One problem will be that the display is not synced to display properly but not to worry, then received signal will be correct.
stevedasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 16:12   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I don’t seem to be having any problem getting the signal from the radio to the computer. I get audio from the speakers OK and a nice peak in the spectrum window as well as a green bar in the audio indicator. However, like the OP, as soon as I stop fiddling with the tuner the peak becomes an undulating wave and the green bar disappears. At this point I am suspicious of the Kaito’s tuning abilities as I am unable to pick up Brunei Bay’s audio broadcasts and they are just around the bend from me in Sarawak. I get FM broadcasts clearly (which I can hear through the computer’s speakers) but so far have only been able to tune in one SW station and that was mostly unintelligible. Also, I get the same image in the fax window whether the radio is plugged in or not and despite a ‘strong signal’ indication on the radio’s signal bar. When set to ‘auto’ I don’t pick up start tones, even though I can hear static.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I had the same problem with JVfax. Ran multiPSK (which has a hffax setting). A lot more complicated program as its amateur radio software that also does weather fax. That worked out of the box sort of speak. Just select HF fax from the rather busy screen. never could get jvfax to work.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 21:20   #19

Thanks Sailorchick. I tried multiPSK but got the same result; nothing but noise. You were right about the busy screen. I particularly liked the 'FM HELL' button. I think I spent a lot of time there before satellite radio.

Old 26-08-2012, 06:22   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasailor View Post
Anyway, set you RX to LSB and about 2 khz below the stated frequency. Take the audio from the RX and plug into your laptop mic input. Make sure your laptop have not been muted and the audio comes out of the laptop speakers. Set the level adjust to about mid way.
Should be USB. On most portable radios it doesn't matter as there is a single SSB mode that just turns on a BFO (Google "beat frequency oscillator" for more than you want to know) in the middle of the receiver passband. That's less effective than true SSB with separate LSB and USB filters.

Once everything is working you should be able to turn off the laptop speakers so you don't have to listen to the screeching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I don’t seem to be having any problem getting the signal from the radio to the computer. I get audio from the speakers OK and a nice peak in the spectrum window as well as a green bar in the audio indicator.
When you are receiving a fax signal there should be TWO peaks, one over the 'black' indicator and one over the 'white' indicator.

Quote:
However, like the OP, as soon as I stop fiddling with the tuner the peak becomes an undulating wave and the green bar disappears.
Interesting. You are subtracting 1.9 kHz from the published (center) frequency for the signal right? Tune the radio with the fine tune dial centered?

Quote:
At this point I am suspicious of the Kaito’s tuning abilities
I can't speak to your radio, but my Kaito KA1103 works fine for weather fax and a range of voice broadcasts.

Quote:
When set to ‘auto’ I don’t pick up start tones, even though I can hear static.
Shouldn't sound like static. The warbling sound of wefax is quite distinctive and hard to mistake.

If you PM me an e-mail address I can send you a recording of a properly tuned fax signal for comparison.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:14   #21

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

I think JVComm32 software and Multipsk are not the issue though in my opinion JVComm32 is not very easy to configure for Navtex but the piad version stores your weatherfaxes neatly.

For Navtex I find Frisnit's Navtex freeware far more convenient.

Multipsk seems complex but it can really demodulate everything....

I guess your Sony receiver is not sensitive enough to tune to the exact frequency.
You also didn't tell us about the receiving antenna setup.

Jan
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:02   #22

Auspicious,
I am tuning 2 khz down but no change.

Jan,
I am using the telescoping antenna as well as the long antenna supplied with the radio.

I suspect more and more that the problem lies with my radio. It spent several years as my "shop radio" before moving onboard and during this time suffered many indignities which may conceivably have damaged the tuner. It is very suspicious that I cannot tune in any voice broadcasts in SW in addition to the fax issues. Next step will be to get my Icom m710 hooked up and see how that works with the JVComm32.

Old 27-08-2012, 20:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I think I read somewhere, that near shore or at a dock, there may be too many other signals overloading the front end of the radio to get a clear display/ conversion. IE too much noise in the signal. But that it would work away from land

I did have to try different listed frequency's to find one that worked for the station (Pt. Reyes in my case..). Most just gave a noisy image.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 01:47   #24

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

Mike I really think that Sony receiver is just not selective enough. There was a small Sony BC/SSB receiver on my boat when I bought it, but I never used it. I did indeed try to get it to receive Navtex some time ago, and it did not work.

Now if you have an Icom M710 that is a whole different story although I don't now if/how you can program precise frequencies in that one. If I remeber well you do have to tune precisely on the navtex frequency (minus the offset) in JV Comm32. With Frisnot Navtex or Multipsk you can just slide through the passband, onscreen, to set the right frequency.

Good luck, I'm sure people like Bill Trayfors will be able to help you setting it up via the Icom M710. That thing has a REAL receiver...

Jan
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 06:02   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

There is very often (darn near always) lots of radio noise in marinas and sometimes in dense mooring fields from battery chargers, refrigeration compressors, A/C, fans, and no end of other noise generators. You can get some multipath issues among lots of masts and buildings as well.

"Near shore" isn't a problem. I do lots of testing anchored in Whitehall Bay near Annapolis MD. No problem.

Mike - it really should just work unless there is something wrong with the radio. Is there someone near you that uses weather fax regularly to check frequencies with? There could be a more optimal band based on your distance from the wefax transmitter. Do you have access to someone that has an understanding of HF propagation?

If you can post your location and the wefax transmitter you are listening for I can run a quick propagation model.

Have you convinced yourself that you are in fact getting the radio signal into the computer? Are you getting two peaks in the spectrum display yet? Have you found an example of what a wefax signal sounds like so you know what to listen for?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 16:42   #26

It's possible I'm getting radio noise in the marina, but it is a very small marina and I am at the very edge.

I did download a wefax sound sample from the internet and note that I have not received anything that sounds like that. Still don't get 2 peaks in the spectrum window and the peak that I do get disappears about one second after I stop fiddling with the fine tune dial.

I am in Miri, Sarawak and am trying to get wefax from JMH in Japan on 3622.5, 77895 and 13988.5. Also Honolulu on 11090 and Kodiak on 12412.5, which has given me the best "tones" so far but still no fax.

Thanks for all the ideas,
Mike

Old 31-08-2012, 17:06   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudurix View Post
Mike I really think that Sony receiver is just not selective enough. There was a small Sony BC/SSB receiver on my boat when I bought it, but I never used it. I did indeed try to get it to receive Navtex some time ago, and it did not work.
I have no trouble with Sony SW7600 receiver, but no way will it work in a marina, just too much noise. It works with weather faxes and navtex.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software