Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 09:32   #16

Re: Just how far can we take the Laptop/Tablet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Maybe it's the point I have reached in sailing. I really don't see the need to have everything all the time. If it all we went down ( lighting strike) then I would use the skies to calibrate my compass, check my paper charts and my logbook and head for the nearest port where I could get things fixed.
It I had everything in a pelican pack (for example) and I was well offshore, I would be tempted to put everything back in the pack until the lighting was passed. And that does not even address all the damage that happens at dock.
Pick a design brief. You are waffling between wanting every possible piece of electronics anywhere anytime in a 3lb package to needing nothing.

But as has already been pointed out by me and others, the computer isn't the issue. It's the perferal devices (sensors and antennas) that kill the idea.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I want enough to sail well. Right now I sail with chartplotter, depth, radar, AIS and vhf. That will do. The radar shown is plug and play at 6 lbs. Now I just need portable AIS. That may be tougher as the feds like them to be hooked up to just one boat. Probably have to ask them about that one.
Design brief? What if I show you my designer briefs?
BTW, I have easily spent 8 k on in boat electronics, and they are rusting as we speak.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25   #18

Quote:
I want enough to sail well. Right now I sail with chartplotter, depth, radar, AIS and vhf. That will do. The radar shown is plug and play at 6 lbs. Now I just need portable AIS. That may be tougher as the feds like them to be hooked up to just one boat. Probably have to ask them about that one.
Design brief? What if I show you my designer briefs?
All you need is 1/2 dozen suitcases, $10-20k in equipement and a couple days to install and your plan will work perfectly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:28   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just think of it, use all your electronics coastal, then remove things you don't use offshore. Less use= more efficiency= longer life and battery life.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Val, I am thinking I can do it with 1 case and half hour setup. Of course we won't know till it happens. Kinda like sailing into a new Port.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03   #21

Boat: Leopard 47

Your WinRadio is a receiver only. No transmit. That's probably not what you want.
The question of HF radio is way to complex to lump into this post.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Oz. Anyone know of a Vhf/AIS combo that is handheld? I am not thinking that these devices would be battery dependent for the voyage, but would plug in to the boat bank.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:54   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

Many of the sensors, receivers, transmitters etc. still need to be integrated in the boat, but a tablet/laptop can replace most of the large and expensive displays in the future. One tablet can easily display info from all the integrated sensors, and it can be used anywhere in the boat.

Maybe I could benefit of one waterproof integrated large display at the deck, but inside the boat I could well use a tablet for all possible needs. I would also take with me a second tablet as a backup. Simple integrated displays for basic essential info like wind speed etc. could be also useful. Also they serve as backup.

In summary, most complex stuff and stuff that benefits of a large display could well go to the laptops/tablets in the future.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:53   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A partial last piece of the puzzle: AIS receiver. I really want a transponder.
http://www.pilotstech.com/index.php?...products_id=97
Old 01-06-2015, 16:08   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I want enough to sail well. Right now I sail with chartplotter, depth, radar, AIS and vhf. That will do. The radar shown is plug and play at 6 lbs. .
No, it weighs 6KG and requires cabling to supply the 2+ Amps to its fixed mount location. The only portable plug & play part is the display unit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:40   #26

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No, it weighs 6KG and requires cabling to supply the 2+ Amps to its fixed mount location. The only portable plug & play part is the display unit.
Well, he/she/they could always try "Irish radar" (was I all I had on my first boat, which I sailed thousands of miles through foggy waters), consists of:

1. A bucket
2. A lot of rocks.

Technique:

In fog or similar, sit as close to the bows as possible, with bucket nearby. Ever few seconds hurl a rock forward and listen intently. If "plop", continue. If "click" or "ptank!", alter course immediately!

‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:48   #27

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-59200.html

This link a couple of years ago, discussed a portable AIS devise, that I recommended to Yacht delivery skipper aquaintance.

Although the OP is coping a bit of flack, the market has been trending towards this objective for some time.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:47   #28

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

I proved that is possible to instal the AIS,charts,external gps weather but in a dedicated computer .Actually is my backup for the Raymarine electronic system and are interconnected ,but always I use the paper chart and pencil .two times I'm lost during an storm all the signal .
Using an Ipad only I test the navionics charts app and work fine
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:48   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My bad. Why do I think everything is in English units?? As for fixed location, I think you could put a few opening clamps on it and take it with you.
As for wire to various boat locations. I think that is a given. Most of these gadgets won't survive very long on batteries.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:59   #30

Quote:
Goal: To be able to walk on a boat with all the equipment you need to safely navigate in your hands.
Advantage: for those chartering or delivering, knowing your equipment is calibrated and reliable.
Advantage: to be able to fix, test and replace equipment either at home or in a warm workshop or outlet and not out in the pouring rain.
Advantage: less on the boat to steal while you are gone.
The best-performing extensions and sensors in a boat electronics system are permanently mounted: wind sensor and VHF antenna at the masthead, depth and speed on a thruhull, radar, GPS, wifi... of course there are portable versions of all of those, but they all entail compromises or hassles to install/remove every time you go out. I have yet to see a 25W VHF transmitter USB dongle.

So, the goal of having everything portable is unrealistic.

Now, if you're talking permanently-mounted sensors, and a small permanently-mounted dedicated industrial computer/radio/net gateway, and then some portable tablets or laptops as the display/controller... that is quite feasible. But still, if it's your sole device, it's got to be as bulletproof as a 10 or 15-year-old B&G display... and I have not yet met that laptop, except as a mil-grade computer that's more expensive than the instruments it replaces, and will be obsolete sooner. I wouldn't want to be fumbling with a laptop or tablet at the wheel during a wet force 5+ day, or have to constantly move it between the wheel and the nav station.

And it's just as easy to have luggage stolen or misplaced ashore as off of a boat...

I kind of like the compromise possible these days: a dedicated marine electronic system that's fit for purpose, plus a laptop or tablet that can be an extra readout, an independent nav station, a planning aid while ashore, and with a GPS fob, a completely redundant plotter aboard.

I have no doubt that laptops and tablets will find more use as MFDs and control surfaces, but the fully portable all-in system seems impractical. You don't uninstall your dashboard when you leave the car...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop