Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 14:32   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Question Just completed installation and sea trials for EV-1 Autopilot

I just installed a Raymarine EV-100 autopilot system. That's and EV-1 heading sensor, ACU-100 computer module with wheel drive, and a P-70 control head.

Likes: Installation was easy and straight forward. The Sea-talk backbone was simple to install, and the add on capabilities are great. I plan on installing a GPS node and a 7-9" chart plotter in the near future. I know I don't need the GPS node if I have it in the Chart plotter, but redundancy is a good thing. Also no more cables and pulleys cluttering up the cockpit. Once I set it for "Performance" it stayed on course in the tight confines of the ICW. "Cruise" will work in the ocean, but it is too sloppy for the ICW.

Dislikes: Not the systems fault but I need to find a way to angle the P-70 up a little because it is down low and hard to see. I need to find a place wide enough and long enough to do the compass calibration and autopilot self set-up. Need to do a 2 minute circle and the autopilot will do turns and needs about 150 yards uninterrupted on either side. I'm on the intercoastal in Florida and have a 5.5' draft.

I like it though and right now it is working as well or better than the 15 year old ST-3000 it replaced. (That system crashed on my last voyage).

Tags
autopilot, installation