Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 13:38   #1

Boat: Nic Bailey design Scat Venture West, 40ft Epoxy carbon foam sandwich construction
Issues with AIS CSB200 position transmission

After finally getting my pair of windows 7 laptops to use a serial cable I have been struck with another issue.

I have just sailed to Tenerife and my AIS had been transmitting its position. I could see this by looking at the marine traffic http://www.marinetraffic.com/es/ais/...hips/235089707 however as you can see the last recorded position was 100 miles from Lisbon. I have noticed the TX led is no longer flashing and when I go into proAIS it states in the diagnostics that I have no GPS position fix. Anyone out there have any ideas on why this is or how to fix it?
oflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 05:19   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Issues with AIS CSB200 position transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by oflo View Post
Anyone out there have any ideas on why this is or how to fix it?
The unit is obviously complaining about the GPS antenna.

What kind did you install? The manual is fairly specific about type of gps antenna, mounting placement, and length of cable. Take a look at page 9 of the manual.

Maybe the gps antenna coax connector has failed in some way?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 09:15   #3

Boat: Nic Bailey design Scat Venture West, 40ft Epoxy carbon foam sandwich construction
Mmm well I have checked the connections everything seems to be in order the GPS unit is as specified. Theres about 20ft of superfluous cable (surely this isnt a problem)
Old 21-12-2013, 09:20   #4

Quote:
Mmm well I have checked the connections everything seems to be in order the GPS unit is as specified. Theres about 20ft of superfluous cable (surely this isnt a problem)
Is the GPS antenna the type specified? Located with a clear view of the sky?

IMO, 20' of extra cable wouldn't by itself cause the problem. But, if you could come up with the right connector (TNC?), it may be worth taking it out.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:52   #5

I wonder if you are just out of range of any MarineTraffic.com receiver stations?

It looks like S. Jorge - Station #1643 is the closet to your location. To display the receiver stations on Marine Traffic Live Maps, go to Map Options, then click More, and then check the Stations box. A green martini glass shaped symbol will appear where receiver stations are located on the Live Map display. Clicking on a station symbol will show you a lot of information including a map of the current coverage area of the station. Class A transmitters will appear green, and class B's will be red. The A's will of course be received at greater distances than B's.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 10:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I wonder if you are just out of range of any MarineTraffic.com receiver stations?

It looks like S. Jorge - Station #1643 is the closet to your location. To display the receiver stations on Marine Traffic Live Maps, go to Map Options, then click More, and then check the Stations box. A green martini glass shaped symbol will appear where receiver stations are located on the Live Map display. Clicking on a station symbol will show you a lot of information including a map of the current coverage area of the station. Class A transmitters will appear green, and class B's will be red. The A's will of course be received at greater distances than B's.
The OP stated:

Quote:
I have noticed the TX led is no longer flashing and when I go into proAIS it states in the diagnostics that I have no GPS position fix.
MarineTraffic won't hear from the OP if the his AIS transceiver doesn't transmit.
Old 21-12-2013, 13:28   #7

I initially thought I was out of range of any station, however I dont believe this to be the case. I'm in Tenerife city centre marina and I can see all kinds of craft on marine traffic. I have just tried my other spare gps with different cable and connector and the problem remains.
Old 22-12-2013, 00:00   #8

Also despite proAIS saying I have no position fix I do get a fix on opencpn where everything still operates as normal.
Old 22-12-2013, 01:56   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Also despite proAIS saying I have no position fix I do get a fix on opencpn where everything still operates as normal.
Opencpn will be receiving targets from your AIS so GPS isn't needed.

Are you sure you haven't inadvertently put it into silent mode.

Dave
Old 22-12-2013, 03:37   #10

Quote:
Is the CSB200 the only GPS OpenCPN is connected to?

You stated you tried your spare GPS. This won't work. The CSB200 has it's own internal GPS. The CSB200 will not use any other GPS. If proAIS is saying the CSB200 has no GPS fix, there is a problem with the CSB200 internal GPS. Unless the internal GPS has gone belly-up, the problem is most likely the external antenna and/or coax. It appears by reading the manual, the CSB200 did not include the external GPS antenna, that is something you have to source elsewhere. The manual is very clear on exactly what type of GPS antenna to source/use and how/where to mount it. The GPS antenna and coax is additional to the VHF antenna connection. I am suspicious of that external GPS antenna, placement, coax.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:59   #11

I just looked on http://www.vesselfinder.com/es/?mmsi=235089707 and my position has been changed yet on marine traffic it remains the same?

I can assure you the external GPS is the correct type.

However the tx led still is not flashing
Old 22-12-2013, 08:40   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44

If the base unit does not have GPS coordinates it won't transmit. Do you have status bars for the satellites. If your stationary it only transmits every 6 minutes. Maybe your not seeing it transmit. Web based mapping won't always pick up on your transmission. Is there a transmit log you can see?
What has changed sense it worked and now. Sounds like it's working sometimes as one web based tracker knows where you are. Undo the any changes that associate with transmissions location and connections involving the ais.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:57   #13

Quote:
I just looked on ORINOCO FLO Posición actual (IMO N/A MMSI 235089707) - Vessel Finder and my position has been changed yet on marine traffic it remains the same?

I can assure you the external GPS is the correct type.

However the tx led still is not flashing
I trust you know what you are doing and simply using the wrong terminology. The CSB200 has an internal GPS, not external. The CSB200 does have an external antenna that connects to it's internal GPS. The external GPS antenna is the one I'm referring to. The CSB200 also requires an external VHF antenna.

If proAIS is telling you there is no GPS fix, the unit will not transmit (as it doesn't have anything to say).
Old 22-12-2013, 09:15   #14

I have little knowledge of AIS as Ive only had it for 1 month however I do realise that the gps is internal with an antanae.

Ok so now I'm getting an infrequent flash from the TX its supposed to be 1 flash every 10 seconds im getting 1 or 2 every minute.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:46   #15

Quote:
I have little knowledge of AIS as Ive only had it for 1 month however I do realise that the gps is internal with an antanae.

Ok so now I'm getting an infrequent flash from the TX its supposed to be 1 flash every 10 seconds im getting 1 or 2 every minute.
for class B, nominal transmit rate

The static data transmits once every 6 minutes
If you are anchored/moored, the dynamic data transmits once every 3 minutes
2-14kts once every 30 seconds
14-23kts once every 15 second
> 23kts, every 5 seconds