Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 22:39   #1

Isat pro and email

Hi, would anyone be able to relate experiences with isat pro ( Inmarsat ) phones and downloading gribs and small emails? It is apparently possible, would have to use a docking station and xgate compression software? The company themselves say it doesn't work well but I have heard of yachties using it, we have the handset, and on the few occasions we do week long passages or are between countries it would be a great tool, without the expense of buying pactor/ sailmail etc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
inti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 00:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Isat pro and email

If you mean the ISatPhone, yes, we have used it for 2 years almost exclusively for data service when offshore.

I would recommend against any tcp/ip based compression service such as Xgate. Look into UUPlus or AmosConnect, will work much better then any tcp/ip based service.

I have some other posts on here about the ISatPhone, works fine, and much cheaper then iridium. With a good compression service, the speed benefit from iridium is negligible for gribs and basic emails.

You do not need a docking station, the phone plugs into a computer via a USB cable and then can dial out to an email service such as UUPlus or AmosConnect to send and receive emails.
Old 21-10-2014, 19:59   #3

Re: Isat pro and email

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
If you mean the ISatPhone, yes, we have used it for 2 years almost exclusively for data service when offshore.

I would recommend against any tcp/ip based compression service such as Xgate. Look into UUPlus or AmosConnect, will work much better then any tcp/ip based service.

I have some other posts on here about the ISatPhone, works fine, and much cheaper then iridium. With a good compression service, the speed benefit from iridium is negligible for gribs and basic emails.

You do not need a docking station, the phone plugs into a computer via a USB cable and then can dial out to an email service such as UUPlus or AmosConnect to send and receive emails.
Summed it up very nicely
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 01:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
How well does it work getting Gribs from the internet?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 09:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
How well does it work getting Gribs from the internet?
We use Saildocs to request or subscribe to GRIBS depending on our plans.

The GRIBS come as email attachments so it works the same as receiving any other email via the service you are using.

So, in general, it works fine.
Old 29-10-2014, 03:57   #6

Fantastic, exactly what we need. Will give it a go, without all the bells and whistles is a bonus! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
inti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email