Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Is my New 802 Working?

Ok, I've purchased and installeda (new) ICOM 802 and AT140 tuner. I've rigged my backstay (approx 16 meters) as the antenna and am using a KISS as the counterpoise.

Radio is connected directly to the batteries.

The radio came with lots of channels pre-installed, most of them in and around the Americas. My boat is docked int he middle of copenhagne so lots of tall building around (interference).

I'm able to receive some channels and do hear some parties communicating. I've tried asking (when I have speech reception) for a radio check, but so far no answer (just because I receive doesn't mean they can receive my transmission of course)

I'm aware that WOL(?) in the US will respond to a radio check but so far I've not been able to raise them.

Does anyone know of a european station (that I should be sure of raising here in Copenhagen) that will do the same?

I've also tried using the radio while at sea, unfortunately with the same results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: Is my new 802 working?

Hi,

Here is a link to a post intended to help get you started using HF/SSB:

http://http://www.ssca.org/forum/vie...hp?f=5&t=16779

Best of luck,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Paul,

Thank you. I hae seen these videos. I also do happen to have my LRC (long range radio certificate), so I do know the basics of how the radio works. I do need to find a station accessible from europe that I can get a radio check from.

carsten

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 07-08-2014, 03:29   #4

Boat: Fantasia 35

Carsten,

Sorry, can't help you with finding a shore station to do a radio check with.

How are you connecting the tuner to the antenna?

In lieu of a radio check you could first test to make sure that you are actually transmitting. One test would be to use a SWR meter to ensure that connection between the transceiver and the tuner is good and that the tuner is working. Another test would be to use a field strength meter to see that the antenna is radiating a signal.

With regard to the high noise levels you are seeing, you might want to make sure it is not coming from your own electronics. Shut everything down, including solar and wind charging, that uses power. If the noise level goes down then turn things on one at a time to see what adds to the noise level.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21   #5

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I do need to find a station accessible from europe that I can get a radio check from.
How about just calling Lyngby Radio on MF DSC: Lyngby Radio - Kystradio Service - MF information
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 19:39   #6

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Is my New 802 Working?

carstenb,
There is a LOT that you can do....and I'll pass on what I can, briefly, tonight....(most importantly would be to test the radio on DSC, using a local MF-DSC station would be my first recommendation...)

I assume you've read the manual and watched the videos....
Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-114734.html

If not, please do those things BEFORE you read the following!!!
(you wrote that you've seen the videos, but perhaps they are not too clear for those who English is not their native language....so be sure to watch them again, especially #4...)

And, also contact the company you bought the radio from immediately!!!
As the radio is still under warranty, and you want to make them aware of this problem ASAP....
They may even want you to return the radio, or have someone that cah work with you (on the telephone, etc.) to test things, if after you done all the below steps, an dhaven't had success...

And then, follow these next steps IN ORDER...

1) Select one of the channels / freqs that you heard something on....
Verify the AT-140 is "tuning", by pressing the "TUNE" button, and the radio will transmit a 10-watt carrier and place the AT-140 into tune mode, after a second or two (up to 10 seconds), the AT-140 will find a tuned position, the radio will switch back into receive mode, and "TUNE" will show on the top line of the display, just to the right of "RX"....

If this is not the case, then the AT-140 is not tuning properly....whether it is a connection / wiring issue, radio issue, or AT-140 issue, we'd need to determine...
If this IS working, move onto next step...

2) Press the "F" button (just two buttons below the TUNE button), and then the "9" button, to select/verify that the radio is in Hi-Power....

3) Press the MODE button (just below the "TUNE" button), until "FSK" is displayed in the middle of the top line of the display (just to the right of the TUNE indication)...

4) While watching the M-802's display, press the microphone's Push-To-Talk button, and verify that all 8 segments of the radio's power output meter are lit up (this is on the bottom, left half, of the display)..
It should show all 8 segments lit up on the display, meaning full power output....

If this is not the case (but the radio does show "TUNE", as described above), then you have a radio or 12vdc supply and/or 12vdc supply connection issue...
If this works okay, go onto to the next step...

5) Press "Mode" button again, until USB (or J3E) is displayed, in the middle of the top line of the display, just to the right of the "TUNE" indicator....

6) While holding the microphone 1" away from your mouth, but off to the side, press the microphone's "Push-To-Talk" button, and whistle....yes, whistle....and while doing whistling, watch the radio's power output display....
It should show most, if not all, of the 8 segments lit up on the display, meaning full power output....

If this is not the case, then you probably have a radio problem...
If this is the case, move onto the next step...

7) Then while holding the microphone about 1" away from your mouth, directly in front of your mouth, press the microphone's Push-To-Talk button and speak clearly and in a normal tone/loudness, as you were speaking to someone just a few feet away from you....
Watch the radio's power output display, as you are speaking....
It should show 3 - 8 of the 8 segments light up on the display, as you speak....some words syllables will only show 3 segments, and some will show 6 (or more), and this indicates full power output....

If this is not the case, you probably have a radio problem....
If this is the case, then move onto the next step...

Please read these two threads for possible "radio problems"...
Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....

IC-M802 Compression

8) The above verifies the radio is transmitting the proper power output, on FSK and Voice.....and the next step is to learn how to use the radio effectively....especially learning about how-to choose the proper channel/frequency, how radiowave propagation works!!!
(again, watch the videos, etc...)

9) Another step to take (parallel to the above, or afterward), is to try a DSC transmission....
But, perhaps you have already done this???
Have you attempted to contact any of the DSC coast stations???
Such as MF-DSC stations near you, such as Lyngby Radio, (and their monitored stations at Blaavand and Skagen), using 2187.5khz DSC??
Their MMSI# is 002191000.

Denmark
Main
Lyngby Radio
-
-
Operational
PS
24 hrs
SOK, Aarhus
Monitor
Blaavand
55°33'.24N 008°06'.80E
Skagen
57°44'.00N 010°34'.00E

10) There are also other MF/DSC coast stations in your area / Baltic Sea / North Sea, but until you've verified the radio is working correctly, stick with you local MF-DSC stations...

Also, there are HF-DSC coast stations you can send a DSC message to, to verify things, but again I'd verify the radio is working well first (steps 1 - 8, above), and also verify MF-DSC, by transmitting to your local MF-DSC coast station...

A few specifics in red...
Quote:
My boat is docked int he middle of copenhagne so lots of tall building around (interference).
Remember that BOTH received RFI and odd reflections from city buildings, etc. will effect your radio performance, BUT..
But, you should still be able to make contacts!!!

I'm able to receive some channels and do hear some parties communicating. I've tried asking (when I have speech reception) for a radio check, but so far no answer (just because I receive doesn't mean they can receive my transmission of course)
See all the steps above, and watch the videos...

I'm aware that WOL(?) in the US will respond to a radio check but so far I've not been able to raise them.
Although WLO's main coverage areas are the central N. Atl, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and E. Pac...so, their antennas are not usually pointed at Denmark...but, you should hear them on some of their channels...

You are about 5000 miles from, Shipcom's WLO....and they do have coverage that far out...BUT...
But, since you are not in their "usual customer area" they will not have their antennas pointed towards you...so signals may not be too strong...
BUT...
But, you can also trying sending them a HF-DSC message (using 16mhz or 12mhz)...or even giving them a call on the phone to schedule a contact (tell 'em WHERE you are at, and have 'em point their antennas NNE....

ShipCom LLC :: Marine HF Radiotelephone and HF Single SideBand Email
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

Listen on ITU ch. 1641, from 1200z to 2300z (or even as late as 0100z), with your best chances from 1900z - 2200z (sunset to a few hours after sunset your time)....
Listen on the top of each hour for their identification and traffic list...and their 1200z, 1800z and 0000z weather broadcasts...

Listen to ITU ch. 1212, from 2200z thru to 0600z....

And, very late / early AM, from 0300z to 0600z, try ITU ch. 824....(probably noisy, but possibly decent signals....

(BTW, these times are approx.....as I haven't looked at today's solar indices....I'm just writing this off the top-of-my-head....so, don't hold me to the exact times/freqs, etc...)

Does anyone know of a european station (that I should be sure of raising here in Copenhagen) that will do the same?
See info above...
Also, be aware that there are some Med cruising Nets, but I don't have their times / freqs in front of me at the moment....(but, I seem to recall a morning net on 8137khz???)

I've also tried using the radio while at sea, unfortunately with the same results.
If you hven't done the above steps, and are not too experienced (unaware of the details of radiowave propagation), this is not surprising....
Do, the steps above, watch the videos, etc. and you should be in good shape...

There is a lot more....but, going on just the info that posted, that's the best I can do tonight...

Good luck and Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 07:45   #7

carstenb,
Well, it's been 3 weeks now since we answered your questions and provide many solutions....but we haven't heard back from you...

Please let us know what you found by following the advice above...
Thanks...

Fair winds,

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 29-08-2014, 09:28   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its a lot easier to verify that you are getting out if you have a ham license.

Its possible to configure a web receiver to listen to your transmissions. For example

DL 3BAA online Radios by dxzone.com
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:35   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
carstenb,
Well, it's been 3 weeks now since we answered your questions and provide many solutions....but we haven't heard back from you...

Please let us know what you found by following the advice above...
Thanks...

Fair winds,

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Hi John,

My apologies. I haven't had the opportunity to try your solutions. I was given the chance to sail a boat to the UK and have been at it for a couple of weeks now. I'll be back home at the end of this week and I will try your suggestions then and get back here on the forum

carsten

ps - thanks for the suggestions

Old 01-09-2014, 15:51   #10

carstenb,
No apologies necessary!!

And, FYI, I found a few other frequencies for you.
Quote:
thanks for the suggestions
1) There is a "Med Net", reported as...
Med Net – 6516kHz or 8131kHz/8122kHz on Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 0530 UTC

2) There is also supposedly another net, reported as...
Dragnet – 6516kHz at 0600 UTC

3) And the OCC has/had a "Baltic Net" this summer (not sure if it's still going or not), reported as...
Baltic Rally – Operated by John Franklin aboard ‘Al Shaheen’
4045 USB 7.30am European Time (0530 Z) Starting 28
th May, 2014

4) Please have a look at these threads here....
Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)

Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

5) And, depending on how much / what type of "noise" you have, you may find these threads very helpful...(don't let some of the titles put you off, as the real discussions are about RFI, etc.)

Testing a SSB/Ham radio - poor reception

Icom M802 in fresh water

Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)

HF Radio Freqs, summertime Atlantic crossing, offshore Net..

ICOM 706 MK2 G optimization.

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John

Old 08-09-2014, 18:52   #11

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

John was very helpful to me too.
thank you
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 21:39   #12

Boat: Contest 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Yf2013

Dear Carsten,
or you check in in the preARC radio net.
every morning at 8:15 UTC preARC radio net on 8.297 J3E/USB
or
in the afternoon at 19:00 UTC in the nighthawk Net on 8.297 J3E/USB

The NET for europe

also on Facebook at :https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSB.Net/

Best regards Joerg from S/V Harrier NET Control
Yf2013 is offline   Reply With Quote