Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 14:54   #1

Boat: Catana C48
Iridium Go - is it really a good deal?

I've had an iridium Go for 1 year. It's been my primary source of weather data during a voyage from Florida to the Beagle Channel.

My monthly bill is between $90 and $125.

I have the Blue Cosmo Go75 plan.

I get my weather data by using the iridium Go app to download free grib data from MailaSail.

During high usage months I download grib data maybe 3 times in 2 days.

This is more expensive than I thought it would be. Some cruising friends are using an iridium 9555 phone to get grib data and it costs them hlf of what I pay.

Does anyone have a better/cheaper way to use the Go (other than getting less weather data)?

Thanks!!!
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Iridium Go - is it really a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I've had an iridium Go for 1 year. It's been my primary source of weather data during a voyage from Florida to the Beagle Channel.

My monthly bill is between $90 and $125.

I have the Blue Cosmo Go75 plan.

I get my weather data by using the iridium Go app to download free grib data from MailaSail.

During high usage months I download grib data maybe 3 times in 2 days.

This is more expensive than I thought it would be. Some cruising friends are using an iridium 9555 phone to get grib data and it costs them hlf of what I pay.

Does anyone have a better/cheaper way to use the Go (other than getting less weather data)?

Thanks!!!
Of course! Unlimited data and text messages and 150 minutes of voice calling per month for $139. You can get all kinds of useful stuff via SailDocs -- when it's unlimited, you will use it much more.

I download GRIB data 4 times a day for every model output, and I also download official marine weather forecasts, wefax charts, and all kinds of other stuff. I even read the front page of the NYT a few days ago on passage. It's great!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:16   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Of course! Unlimited data and text messages and 150 minutes of voice calling per month for $139. You can get all kinds of useful stuff via SailDocs -- when it's unlimited, you will use it much more.

I download GRIB data 4 times a day for every model output, and I also download official marine weather forecasts, wefax charts, and all kinds of other stuff. I even read the front page of the NYT a few days ago on passage. It's great!
I was going to say the same thing. Once you're over $100/month might as well go for broke! You could have weather data updates constantly. And Facebook while you're at it.

What's been your experience with reliability of service and speed?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:20   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

The OP asks how to reduce monthly Sat connection costs ---- and in CF fashion the first two posts suggest increasing monthly costs. I'm sure we'll intended but a bit off the mark.
Old 29-06-2018, 15:35   #5

Do you use external antenna?
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 16:59   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I did not at all realise the Go! means higher rates than phone-based access.

Thanks for bringing that up!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 17:09   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The OP asks how to reduce monthly Sat connection costs ---- and in CF fashion the first two posts suggest increasing monthly costs. I'm sure we'll intended but a bit off the mark.
Well, he asked for a "better/cheaper way" to use the Go! "without reducing GRIB data."

There is no "cheaper" way, if you're not willing to take less GRIB data. But there certainly is a "better" way, which is what he duly got. I think it wasn't off the mark at all.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-06-2018, 15:12   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Correct me if i am wrong....but can't you use a short wave radio and have that sqwak decoded onto another device that shows the grib files for nada?

It is outrageous pricing....yes, it is expensive satellite technology...So, don't beat me up for great technology at high prices. It is like at home....pay your cable bill, pay your satellite TV, and your Verizon bill....300 dollars....Ai Yi Yi...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 15:51   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Correct me if i am wrong....but can't you use a short wave radio and have that sqwak decoded onto another device that shows the grib files for nada?
Yes, SSB + PACTOR modem. Not cheap to set up initially, and slow, but no recurring costs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 16:02   #10

Boat: Grainger cat

With an hf radio or receiver and a smartphone or tablet, you download a 5 or 8 dollar weatherfax app. The app has wfax times and frequencies listed. Tune in at appropriate time and frequency, hold the phones mic up to the hf speaker, watch the synoptic chart appear on your phone screen. Once you're set up, it's free. Mate of mine showed me this just before he set off for Fiji couple of weeks ago.
He had the Irridium go for last years trip but didn't want to wear the monthly subscription any more.
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 16:20   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, he asked for a "better/cheaper way" to use the Go! "without reducing GRIB data."

There is no "cheaper" way, if you're not willing to take less GRIB data. But there certainly is a "better" way, which is what he duly got. I think it wasn't off the mark at all.
Dockhead,

I think your answer was so spot on, I am awarding you 50 points for a double bullseye. (unofficially and non-league play of course)

Cheers mate!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:56   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

It is outrageous pricing....yes, it is expensive satellite technology...So, don't beat me up for great technology at high prices. It is like at home....pay your cable bill, pay your satellite TV, and your Verizon bill....300 dollars....Ai Yi Yi...
Sure you can. I do that too. You can even send and receive emails.

But it is much less efficient and reliable, especially in high latitudes.

And you can't send emails which have any commercial intent -- nothing concerning your job or investments or business unless you use SailMail, which does not cost nada, and is not very efficient, and with limits on how many hours a month you can connect.

So for some people $139 a month is "outrageous pricing" but for others it's a fantastic deal for unlimited use of a reliable low-bandwidth connection which works anywhere on the entire globe.

I will turn mine off at the end of the summer when we get back to civilization and go back to using mobile phone and, if necessary, HF radio.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21   #13
cruiser

Dockhead,

Do you have the Iridium Go marine bundle which includes the antenna?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dockhead,

Do you have the Iridium Go marine bundle which includes the antenna?
I bought the Go! and the antenna separately. I already had a sat phone and was able to use the other parts of the installation which were already there.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-07-2018, 05:35   #15
cruiser

I already have a sat phone antenna installed, how do I find out if it’s compatible? I went to the Satphone store site, but couldn’t find the monthly unlimited plan for $139 which is what I want. Can I use it for four months then go inactive for five, then reactivate for six?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium