Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 16:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Iridium GO installation

What is involved with installation? Does it need the optional external antenna, or is that not necessary? Are they any other complications with the installation?
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:11   #2

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42
Re: Iridium GO installation

Iridium GO is weatherproof so you could use it as a mobile device above deck without an external antenna. As long as you have clear view to the sky reception will be fine.

A more convenient semi-permanent installation would be to mount it below deck with the external antenna somewhere on deck. It's very easy to install. That's how I have it on my boat.
Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 01:40   #3

External mast antenna would be the way to go. You can be inside the vessel and not out in the elements whilst you communicate...

We normally fit antennas from AeroAntenna.
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 04:35   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

If you're downloading any sort of good-sized data package through the GO it is wise to use the external antenna. It sucks to have the connection fail just as the download is about to complete.

Even with a clear view to the sky, the built-in antenna is less reliable at making and keeping connections than the external one. My experience with sat phones is that the connection can be flakey at times, sometimes frustratingly so.

I've never done or used a permanent external antenna installation, so can't comment directly on that, but I think your primary considerations should be 1) a clear, hopefully uninterrupted view of as much of the sky as possible, and b) as short a coax run as conveniently possible.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 05:14   #5

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
What is involved with installation? Does it need the optional external antenna, or is that not necessary? Are they any other complications with the installation?
Last summer we went for 3 months with a group of 13 boats, 12 using a GO. One had the external antenna. He had the most connection problems. Most had occasional problems, but the resume mode in the datatransfer works pretty well so in case of a breakdown in the connection it's not too bad, you only need to re-dial to resume the transfer.
I used the device under the sprayhood in the enclosure that goes with it. I also ordered the 5 meter USB cable that has a sort-of-water resistant connector to the device. I think it's one of best solutions at current state of technology if you are on a "normal" budget.
The system works by far the best with iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. However the Apps are very outdated from design and ergonomics they do work pretty reliable. When using a Laptop you need to set all kinds of stuff on your laptop to prevent unwanted downloads (updates). On the i-Stuff this is no problem.
Obviously the connection speed is very slow but for E-mail, Text message and weather forecasts (GRIB) it is very acceptable. I recommend using the Weathertrack app from the App store with a GRIB-Robot subscription. Not too expensive.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 07:05   #6

Boat: Hunter 410

aluijten
Just wondering if you still feel that the iridium go works best without an external antenna.? We have a full canvas in closure and would ideally like to use it without one. We could place it under the canvas and power it with a portable battery pack if necessary. Any thoughts
Secondwind410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 07:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post

As a delivery guy, I use my GO without an antenna all the time.

When I first got the device, I purchased the magnetic antenna and a round magnet. I would dutifully place the antenna on top of the dodger and use the GO.

Being a normal human, I got lazy and started experimenting not using the antenna. No significant difference. Likewise when the owner was aboard and had a GO with a masthead antenna. The masthead was slightly better.

So bottom line? MEH. You can use it without an antenna. But you will need to bring the device on deck. I place mine inside the dodger or on the leeward bench in the cockpit.

After you know how often you will be using the device- you can spring for an antenna and mount.

But I would guess almost all the GO owners use their devices only when on passage. Any other time, you can download weather for less money via cellular.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 08:27   #8

Thanks for the reply. I will hold off on the antenna install and see how it goes. Thanks again I needed someone with real-time experience.
Old 29-03-2022, 08:29   #9

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I can't imagine any scenario in which the built in antenna would be better than the external antenna. Physics is physics and the omnidirectional outside antenna is more efficient at receiving signals. If some have had problems I suspect it is due to poor installation. Consider as well that most people buy the unlimited data plan, which is extremely useful. I download GRIBs at least twice per day and one of those is an expanded view showing most of the ocean I am in so that I can see what is happening with the weather. This is highly useful in areas where surface charts and 500mb charts are unavailable. It can take over an hour to download these large files and it is really nice to just get it running an carry on with what you are doing, rather than sit in the cockpit in the weather while it downloads.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 16:14   #10

We put the antenna on a 6' mast mounted on the transom w/a quick disconnect - this kept it pointing mostly at the sky and the signal wasn't disturbed by carbon sails. Worked great across the Pacific. When not offshore we stow it below.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 16:32   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

I have found the external antenna useful when I'm using the GO below, in the cradle, tied to phone or ipad. I also find if I use it in the cockpit with the built in antenna it performs just as well. So another anecdote for the collection of inputs. I already had the external antenna for the Iridium handset.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 17:14   #12

Thank for your input. I want everything to work without too much frustration but I also don’t want to waste time and money if it isn’t necessary. We are heading south this season and there is a massive todo list.
Old 31-03-2022, 05:36   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

We used the Go without an external antenna (and a Iridium sat phone before that) at our navigation station, with the Go (and sat phone) sitting on a shelf under a hatch. No problems, though signal sometimes jumped up and down depending on who knows what. Good enough for PW downloads.

We’ve since added a masthead antenna and use that with the Go. Slightly higher consistency of 4 and 5 bar signals now.

I’d say try it without and see how it goes first. At worst, you have someone hold it on deck while doing downloads. It’s only once or twice a day after all.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 06:39   #14

Thanks I appreciate you posting. I feel more confident with my decision to try it with the built in antenna. Great to have real life experience with both internal and external antenna. Thanks
Old 31-03-2022, 08:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

To be read in Columbo voice

Oh-Oh... one more thing

There are several apps that show the orbits of the Iridium satellites. Since the satellites are in Polar orbits, the further you are from the equator, the closer the orbits get and the better the coverage.

Therefore, a vessel at LAT 40 will have more satellites in range, more often than a vessel at LAT 20.

Further reducing the advantage of a auxiliary antenna
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, iridium