Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 17:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Iridium GO installation

What is involved with installation? Does it need the optional external antenna, or is that not necessary? Are they any other complications with the installation?

SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 12:11   #2

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42 and 22' Herreshoff Eagle
Re: Iridium GO installation

Iridium GO is weatherproof so you could use it as a mobile device above deck without an external antenna. As long as you have clear view to the sky reception will be fine.

A more convenient semi-permanent installation would be to mount it below deck with the external antenna somewhere on deck. It's very easy to install. That's how I have it on my boat.

Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:40   #3

External mast antenna would be the way to go. You can be inside the vessel and not out in the elements whilst you communicate...

We normally fit antennas from AeroAntenna.
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 05:35   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

If you're downloading any sort of good-sized data package through the GO it is wise to use the external antenna. It sucks to have the connection fail just as the download is about to complete.

Even with a clear view to the sky, the built-in antenna is less reliable at making and keeping connections than the external one. My experience with sat phones is that the connection can be flakey at times, sometimes frustratingly so.

I've never done or used a permanent external antenna installation, so can't comment directly on that, but I think your primary considerations should be 1) a clear, hopefully uninterrupted view of as much of the sky as possible, and b) as short a coax run as conveniently possible.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:14   #5

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
What is involved with installation? Does it need the optional external antenna, or is that not necessary? Are they any other complications with the installation?
Last summer we went for 3 months with a group of 13 boats, 12 using a GO. One had the external antenna. He had the most connection problems. Most had occasional problems, but the resume mode in the datatransfer works pretty well so in case of a breakdown in the connection it's not too bad, you only need to re-dial to resume the transfer.
I used the device under the sprayhood in the enclosure that goes with it. I also ordered the 5 meter USB cable that has a sort-of-water resistant connector to the device. I think it's one of best solutions at current state of technology if you are on a "normal" budget.
The system works by far the best with iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. However the Apps are very outdated from design and ergonomics they do work pretty reliable. When using a Laptop you need to set all kinds of stuff on your laptop to prevent unwanted downloads (updates). On the i-Stuff this is no problem.
Obviously the connection speed is very slow but for E-mail, Text message and weather forecasts (GRIB) it is very acceptable. I recommend using the Weathertrack app from the App store with a GRIB-Robot subscription. Not too expensive.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, iridium