Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 06:47   #46

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: IPAD2 Navigation Apps - What Rocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
+1 on the 32 gig model. I too bought the 64 gig version one, and I currently have iNavX with most charts for North and South America, plus Navionics North America installed. Add in over 250 pics and several videos, plus another 50 or so apps, and I am just now approaching 30 gigs of usage. I also have almost every manual for every piece of gear aboard stored as a PDF, 30 or so Kindle books and 30 or so Zinio magazines (Sail, Blue Water Cruising, Cruising World) jammed in there. The IPad has replaced about 90% of my PC usage, including banking, stock trading, email and web surfing. You will love yours too!
When you say "videos", do you mean movies or home videos.
The reason I'm asking is because I haven't decided which personal video conversion software to buy.
I have some great movies purchased from itunes though.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46   #47

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad

When you say "videos", do you mean movies or home videos.
The reason I'm asking is because I haven't decided which personal video conversion software to buy.
I have some great movies purchased from itunes though.
Both, actually. I have used Videora iPad Convertor to convert my own videos (and other's) to iPad format. Do a search online...I think it's freeware... C

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 13:36   #48

Thanks, I'm on it.
Old 06-04-2011, 15:06   #49

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Thanks for the info on the hardware, they sound brilliant.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Australian East coast charts?
Do you need a app to down load manuals etc or do they use a PDF reader or the preview like the Macs?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:51   #50

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady
Thanks for the info on the hardware, they sound brilliant.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Australian East coast charts?
Do you need a app to down load manuals etc or do they use a PDF reader or the preview like the Macs?
You can save the .pdf manuals in the iBook app that comes standard. It's a great way to reduce clutter.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:56   #51

I use ReaddleDocs App as my PDF reader, as it allows you to set up folders to house your PDFs. I downloaded most of my manuals from the manufactures websites, but I've created a few from scratch using Adobe Pro on my PC. Some of my manuals came from nice people on CF, including my Velvet Drive shop and owners manuals...You can fit a LOT of info on an iPad! I currently have 120 manuals and instruction sets under the folder for my boat. iBooks can read PDFs too, but can't organize as well. There are a bunch of good PDF reader Apps in the AppStore now.

Try this link for a map of Navionics coverage of the area: http://www.navionics.com/Charts_Mobi...iPad&Area=OCAS

The App is around $44.00 U.S. I have no experience with this area, but the North American Navionics App kicks Butt!

Old 06-04-2011, 15:59   #52

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Excellent, thanks again
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Both, actually. I have used Videora iPad Convertor to convert my own videos (and other's) to iPad format. Do a search online...I think it's freeware... C
I am not that computer saavy, but I think I tried to download it, it said it requires 71mb and I only have 57mb remaining.

Is 71mb alot of space?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad

I am not that computer saavy, but I think I tried to download it, it said it requires 71mb and I only have 57mb remaining.

Is 71mb alot of space?
Not on today's computers. Also, converting video takes quite a bit of space. Your free hard drive space would be measured in Gigs, not Megs. My HD video cameras shoot over 10 GIG an hour, I believe. Most home computers sold today have 1 terabyte drives and up... Hope this helps, Chris

Old 07-04-2011, 11:59   #55

It does help, thank you.
Old 22-06-2011, 13:04   #56

Boat: Contest 36 Sloop

Friends, Christian is right on, tis is great way to remove paper. I also have my manuals in pdf, rather han making a project of it, i just download manual each time i need one and now have most stored. I downlosd on pc, then move hem to dropbox which sync them with my ipad -- Dropbox is great tool for several reasons, take a look. I also really love he Zinio app, when youre cruising you cant get mabazine subscriptions! So i have gradually moved all to Zinio instead of paper deliveries. Only problem is the ipad screen is bad in daylight, was hping some relief with ipad 2 but no...anybody have a good screen filter for glare? Re video, dont waste time converting videos to apple formar, just get the AVIplayerHD app it willmplaynevery format video on your ipad, to import videos use the app sharing on sync insteadof itunes. Action movies on ipad with headphones on high volume are a great way to keep night watch! Also agree with Christian, sailors need to spend the $130 for the 3g chip even if no plans to use 3g cuz that chip also has the gps on it! I have tested lots of sailing apps so drop me a line anytime.
mike1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 06:50   #57

Boat: 33' Wellcraft St Tropaz
We are back into cruising Georgian Bay Ontario after an 8 year hiatus and are excited about the technology available for navigation. We only used paper charts before and there is no navigation system on our boat. I have been experimenting with the iPhone navionics app and am liking it so far. Now I'm not sure if we should invest in an iPad (which I want anyway for personal use) or an onboard nav system such as Garmin etc. Judging from the posts I've just read (and I'm new to Cruisers) I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get the iPad 2 3GS. Any comments from anyone? Do you agree? Vacation is coming and I want to get this in place asap. Thanks kindly!
Purple Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 07:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Legs
) I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get the iPad 2 3GS. Any comments from anyone? Do you agree? Vacation is coming and I want to get this in place asap. Thanks kindly!
Hey Purple Legs, welcome to the Forum! I don't know how you would ever regret buying an iPad. You are correct, you want the 3GS model, with 32 or 64 gig of RAM. The iPads screen is definitely not very readable in direct sunlight, but it's GPS is great, and you'll find yourself using it for 90% of everything you used you laptop/desktop for. I'm sending this post with mine right now, using the Cruisers Forum app! There are a bunch of neat gadgets out there that can turn your iPad into an AIS receiver, a gauge repeater, a weather fax... and they are just getting started... Accessing Active Captain is a blast too! Have fun, Chris

Old 15-07-2011, 07:37   #59

Boat: Lagoon 450
I use iNavx on my iPad2 and it works great. Also Ship Finder and Star Walk are worth having.
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 08:02   #60

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

iPad navigation apps purchased and tested with Pro’s & Con’s

iNavX by GPSNavX $49.99

Pro - Raster charts with "Head up Display", Import & export .gpx marks, route & tracks.
Route and Track navigation with all the vitals displayed.
Con’s – Tides and currents is a $9.99 add on. Chart scaling and zoom are strange
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inavx-marine-navigation/id286616280?mt=8

Navimatics - Charts & Tides $24.99 With ActiveCaptain
Pro - Nice Vector charts with integrated ActiveCaptain for finding great places to stay or get marine services. Has tide & currents. "Heads up Display".
Con’s - Only lets you put in way points. No import or export .gpx routes files. Will have to use the up and coming ActiveCaptain routes for navigation in the future integration.
No follow route or vitals like eta. Not a route navigation program
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/charts-tides-east-coast/id333226849?mt=8

Memory-Map-Pocket Nav $19.99
Pro-Nice Raster charts, Great dashboard display with all the boat vitals. Import & export .gpx marks, route & tracks. Loads all files and charts by WiFi.
Save and e-mail routes. Follow route and track navigation with all the vitals displayed. Easy new route creation and editing. Very nice route navigation program
Con’s – No tide & currents. No "Head up Display".
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocketnav/id373365691?mt=8

NavionicsMarine & Lakes USA HD $29.99
Pro – Nice Vector charts with Google or Bing satellite land overlay. The best tide & currents of them all hands down. Easy new route & track creation and editing
Con’s - No import or export .gpx routes files. No follow route or vitals like eta. No "Head up Display". Not a route navigation program
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marine-lakes-usa-hd/id409794234?mt=8

GeoGarageMarine US $5.99
Pro – Nothing. Purchased this App because their web based progam is outstanding and thought their iPad App would be also. Big let down
Con’s – Needs everything to use it for route navigation. Sadly it was not even worth the $5.99 price of admission. I will never admit I bought this program again.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marine-us/id376844755?mt=8

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation