Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2011, 10:17   #61

Boat: Contest 36 Sloop
Re: IPAD2 Navigation Apps - What Rocks?

Folks, I just read my last post -- guess you can tell I wrote in my iPhone!
@ Purple Legs -- get the iPad, you will never fully understand how awesome it is, not just on the boat, but for home, land travel, business!
A big issues, as mentioned, is not readable in daylight - can be a pretty severe issue for sailors! I just bought a zaggmate screen cover (there are two models, get the mat one which has glare protection) and it helps alot, but I haven't tried it on the boat yet (she is hauled out in SC, till fall when I hop back over to Bahamas).

Like most, I have been pleased with the gps capability of the iPad2 3G model. But if you find yourself with the WiFi only model, you can add gps with the Dual Electrionics XGPS150. Personally, I have just ordered this unit, even though I have 3G model, because I want to ensure the most accurate GPS. I have my laptop with Nobeltec and dedicated GPS on board below decks at the same time as the iPad and I can see that the iPad GPS is not as sensitive/accurate as my dedicated $90 GPS unit. This could be due to a lesser chip in the iPad, but probably it is mostly due to antenna - your GPS reception will depend on where you are sitting with your iPad -- vs with the external bluetooth GPS, you can place it in the sunlight and get great 10-satellite signals, while you move about the boat. Also there is a free companion app that shows your satellite connections and strength. My other GPS bluetooth units will not work with the iDevices -- there are just a couple that do, and this is the one I chose. Works with all the iDevices, so can do same to turn an old iPod Touch into a handheld GPS for boat or car. (Sorry to go on about this -- I have not seen any discussion about this option, so thought it will be useful for the group).

Last note about this, is that these add-on GPS units for iPad are not WAAS -- hopefully soon they will upgrade. So they will be more accurate/sensitive than the built-in GPS in the iPad, but still not as accurate as the GPS attached to my laptop down below. This is OK for me, cuz even though I love my iPad onboard and use it for 90% of navgation, I do keep my laptop wth Nobeltec on board at all times on the nav station. It's much more useful and powerful for trip planning, plotting routes. Also when I am coastal cruising I like to have multiple windows open at a time, which can't do with iPad (eg Nobeltec open, but also Doppler a window, a couple of NOAA pages, and maybe an AIS page.) But 90% of the time can sail using iPad and not turn on the PC, and even when the PC is on, its great to have the iPad in your lap.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a great topic, hope its helpful.

Old 15-07-2011, 10:21   #62

@GUNGNER -- Also Dual Electronics XGPS150 -- see my long post elsewhere. And there is one more unit, which plugs directly into the bottom of the iPad. I have not tried them all, but reading the Amazon reviews gives a good idea.

Old 15-07-2011, 10:24   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
iPad navigation apps purchased and tested with Proís & Conís...
No eSeaChart?

Hey, anyone with 1,000+ postings in CF who has purchased and reviewed 5+ iOS navigation apps...you should be writing me PM's to get other products for free.
Old 15-07-2011, 10:25   #64

@BILL LEE -- you are on the right track -- get both Navionics and iNavX -- the first is vector and the second is raster. You want both, probably use vector most of the time due to the zoom and layers, but sometimes you just want to see the raster chart (paper chart scanned in)
Old 15-07-2011, 10:30   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1a View Post
@BILL LEE -- you are on the right track -- get both Navionics and iNavX -- the first is vector and the second is raster. You want both, probably use vector most of the time due to the zoom and layers, but sometimes you just want to see the raster chart (paper chart scanned in)
ESPECIALLY if you just want raster as a backup, eSeaChart comes with every NOAA raster chart and costs $7.99. That doesn't even count the fact that it has ActiveCaptain built-in which neither Navionics or iNavX have.
Old 15-07-2011, 10:40   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1a View Post
If it's not clear to the one with questions, you can also use Navionics charts with iNavX through X-Traverse. That way you have a consistent UI, but can switch between raster and vector. I haven't used the Navionics app so would defer to Cotemar as to which is the better strategy.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 10:55   #67

@EndofRoad - I sent a reply to Christian, but I see you were the one with the question, so here is my two cents (PS -- for sure the programs Christian mentions will work, there are lots out there -- the key point is about not converting at all!
-- I have used "AnyVideoConverter" with great success, costs $30 and converts any format to any other format, easily with simple menus to check off what you want the output to be -- even has different output for iPad, iPod, iPhone models, to reflect their different screen resolutions. (You can convert everything to iPad and will play fine on smaller screens. But if the plan is to play on smaller screen then can save alot of space by converting to the smaller.)
OK -- ALL THAT SAID -- there is no reason to convert movies anymore! It takes a long time. Get the $5 app "AVIPlayerHD" -- it will play any format on your iPad (eg .avi, divx, mp4, mpeg, etc etc) The difference is in loading the movies, instead of loading them into iTunes, you got o the APP tab on the sync screen and go to the bottom of that page where you see "SHARING" apps -- click on AVIPlayerHD and just load the movie files directly from your harddrive into the app. Then to play them you open the app on your ipad and select from the movies you have loaded. Of course you can still play movies you downloaded from iTunes, via the standard video player that comes with.
As I mentioned in a previous post -- playing action movies at hi-volume while in night watch is a great way to stay awake!
Old 15-07-2011, 11:00   #68

He's right, a movie in standard format takes about 700mb (not 70!). And in HiDef can take from 2-10GB (that's Gigabytes, not MB!). I think you must be reading your error message wrong. Your iPad hopefully has 32 or 64 GB, so you can easily store a dozen standard def movies and still have tons of room for music, pdf's, ibooks, Zinio magazines, photos of your boat, etc! See my other post -- I don't convert video anymore, just load directly from harddrive into the AVIplayerHD app.
Old 15-07-2011, 11:06   #69

@Cotemar -- I have used all these and agree with your assessment! I ended up sticking with Navionics for vector and iNavX for raster (ie use both). I am REAL happy to see Navionics has added Bahamas and Caribbean! I have not yet downloaded the charts to see the level of detail, but the coverage is vast. Also I see there are two other apps to try for this coverage -- EarthNC has an app called "BahamasCharts" (I'm wary of EarthNC chart detail though), and Imray Caribbean charts are now available in an app -- I have downloaded both apps but won't load up the charts and try them out till late fall when I head back south.
Old 15-07-2011, 12:30   #70

Boat: 33' Wellcraft St Tropaz
Re: IPAD2 Navigation Apps - What Rocks ?

Hey thanks for the encouragement and info about getting the iPad. I think I'll go out and get it today!
Old 15-07-2011, 17:35   #71

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Has anyone tried I-Sailor - the new app by Transas?
Old 15-07-2011, 20:42   #72

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding
Not yet, but can we vote on which is the hottest navigator on the " http://www.isailor.us/ " website? Each time you go there, there's a different model... ;-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 20:56   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I have it. It's pretty nice in many ways. I like the way you create routes on it.

Transas just updated the charts for it and the rendering is much better. They're a major player in the chart creation world. I'd expect a lot more to come from the guys building the product.

C-Map has a product they've been showing around too. They're another major player.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:47   #74

Boat: Moody 34

I just ordered from Apple yesterday my first Apple 1pad2 with the max memory and 3G! I am psyched 'cause I have been waiting months to get it. Can't wait-
Is there a post where those of you who have been using it discuss the best 'top 5' sailing apps on the ipad2?
Sounds like Mike1a and Activecaptains really have alot of experience with the different apps.
Anyone want to tell me what their top 5 favorites are? I am on the Chesapeake.
Thanks!
Old 31-07-2011, 23:31   #75

Boat: Pelin Crusader 42ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777
I just ordered from Apple yesterday my first Apple 1pad2 with the max memory and 3G! I am psyched 'cause I have been waiting months to get it. Can't wait-
Is there a post where those of you who have been using it discuss the best 'top 5' sailing apps on the ipad2?
Sounds like Mike1a and Activecaptains really have alot of experience with the different apps.
Anyone want to tell me what their top 5 favorites are? I am on the Chesapeake.
Thanks!
Hi

See my post 22 July 2011 on thread " the marine iPad"

Cheers

Tags
navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: