Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 23:58   #16

Boat: Catalina 385
Re: iPad / Tablet

Just today we were trying to use an iPad pro in the cockpit for navigation. Just to see if it would be a suitable backup for our Ray Mfd should it go T.U. On a cloudy day we couldn't even read the screen without going below.
Those to choose to use ipads as primary navigation are only fooling themselves.
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 00:10   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

We use the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active in the cockpit. IP67, drop tested to 1.2 meters and runs OpenCPN without a hitch. The GPS receiver is very strong and the screen is very bright and easy to read, even with full sun shining directly on the unit. It's getting a bit hard to find, though.

+1 for the surface for inside the cabin and out and about. Great devices with full notebook capabilities and few compromises. As for me, I'm a fan of the HP Spectre X360 2017 model for this purpose.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12   #18

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

re devices to allow tablets to stream video - they only work if you actually have a good broadband signal to rebroadcast. I am no doubt influenced by years sailing around countries outside of the USA but I rarely see such a good signal when I am on the boat. The guys in Silicon Valley can't imagine a world where everyone doesnt have high quality wifi with plenty of bandwidth. However, many of the rest of us live there, at least we often do when we are anchored out somewhere. Even marinas often have pretty crappy wifi.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
The same can also be achieved with other types of tablet ...
It does not have to be an iPad.

Yes, of course, however the devices that you can do that with an Apple product are very limited, this thing among other uses give you a memory slot of you will for apple products.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iPad / Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
re devices to allow tablets to stream video - they only work if you actually have a good broadband signal to rebroadcast. I am no doubt influenced by years sailing around countries outside of the USA but I rarely see such a good signal when I am on the boat. The guys in Silicon Valley can't imagine a world where everyone doesnt have high quality wifi with plenty of bandwidth. However, many of the rest of us live there, at least we often do when we are anchored out somewhere. Even marinas often have pretty crappy wifi.

This thing can rebroadcast Wifi signals, but that wasn't what I was talking about, what it can also do is allow you to store video and play it back on tablets and other computers to include apple products, no internet connection.
You cannot expand the memory on an apple product, if you want more memory you have to buy an IPad that has more memory, or buy this thing, it allows you to expand memory in an apple product
Old 05-08-2017, 07:30   #21

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This thing, slick little device, easily fits in your pocket about the same size as an old flip phone.
https://www.ravpower.com/rp-wd03-fil...ss-router.html
Great find! This thing looks like just the toy I have been looking for on the boat. Sending files from my phone/tablet to the laptop is way harder than it should be without a good wifi signal.

How well does it work? Are you satisfied with it?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Great find! This thing looks like just the toy I have been looking for on the boat. Sending files from my phone/tablet to the laptop is way harder than it should be without a good wifi signal.

How well does it work? Are you satisfied with it?

I've had it a couple of years and haven't really used it to its fullest potential, for me it was a way to stream movies when traveling on airliners and a way to charge the phone or IPad.
It works well, there is an app that you install to use it on an apple product.
Go to the App Store and look up AirStor that is the app.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:37   #23

I couldn't find a listing for my old wifi card reader, but this one is very similar:
https://www.amazon.com/MECO-Wireless...fi+card+reader

These devices have a built in wifi. Any device that can do wifi can connect to this device's wifi and reader/copy/etc. the card.

Great devices.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:10   #24

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You cannot expand the memory on an apple product, if you want more memory you have to buy an IPad that has more memory, or buy this thing, it allows you to expand memory in an apple product...
Or you could get a brand of tablet that does not have so many restrictions :-)
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:16   #25

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
re devices to allow tablets to stream video - they only work if you actually have a good broadband signal to rebroadcast...
Streaming video can come from many sources... For example, you could get video from a storage device inside the boat.
A rack of hard drives for storing the movie collection is on my wishlist.
A live camera feed is also a kind of streaming, I guess.
Now with drones coming, the possibilities are growing.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:59   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

drones! I sailed with a guy who used a kite to take videos of the boat under sail. I guess drones are a higher tech way to do that. And yes, streaming video can come from a lot of sources but at some point in time it has to have come from the internet unless you are buying DVD's and copying them onto some other medium. If you are cruising the islands you may only rarely come into range of a connection good enough to do this in a reasonable amount of time (or at all).

My other point was that ipads require some other device for storage while many other types of tablets have an SD card slot which solves the problem. 128 GB cards are pretty cheap nowadays and you can get them as big as 256 if you want. A very compact way to transport a lot of stuff. And in honor of not putting all your eggs in one basket, if one SD card goes bad you still have all the other ones with you. Not so with, e.g., the hard drive I use as backup at home.

But there are a lot of ways to do this. Usually it starts with whatever equipment you already have.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad