Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 08:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
iPad Case and Mount Options

I'm looking for a waterproof case for my new iPad and a compatible mount. I would like to be able to use the iPad in the cockpit attaching the mount to 1" round bar at the helm. I would also like a second mount at the nav station below deck. I would like to be able to charge the iPad while still in the case. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:08   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: iPad Case and Mount Options

I use a waterproof case from Otterbox with a RAM mount and IPad holder as a secondary plotter. The charging connection is not waterproof. So far, no problems.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:58   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Lifeproof Nuud case, bracket, and even a floaty for iPad Air 2.
iPad Air Car Mount & Cradle | LifeProof | LifeProof
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:46   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

SnowLizard have nice waterproof cases, even with VESA mounting and internal battery for longer runtime. Waiting for them to come out with a version for the Air 2...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:02   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
I'm looking for a waterproof case for my new iPad and a compatible mount. I would like to be able to use the iPad in the cockpit attaching the mount to 1" round bar at the helm. I would also like a second mount at the nav station below deck. I would like to be able to charge the iPad while still in the case. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?
If you may be doing any serious sailing, you need a proper chartplotter.

They're so cheap AND effective, I consider them a mandatory safety device.

Rechargeable, non-marine grade, non waterproof, non sun-light viewable products at the helm simply are not safe.

Proper MFDs start at very reasonable prices, and almost all current models will communicate via Wifi to a smart phone or tablet (that makes a great "convenience" repeater and planning device in the cabin).

We even got rid of our VHF WHAM mic at the helm in favour of a permanently mounted and wired mic. The wireless mic was forever bouncing around the cockpit, fortunately never went overboard (though I know many have) and batteries were always dead when needed most.

Smart phone and tablet batteries exhaust rapidly when running a nav app.

Making and breaking wiring connections frequently, leads to premature failure in all electronic devices.

As a navigation toy, or a cheap, convenient back-up device, tablets and smart phones are great, but IMHO should not be used as a primary navigation device.

Disclosure: I sell and install marine navigation equipment. This post is intended as friendly free advice, and is not intended to solicit business.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
Raymarine Certified Installer
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:29   #6

Send a message via ICQ to LByers

Life proof case and a Sea Sucker vacuum mount. SeaSucker | Vacuum Mounting ...
https://www.seasucker.com. It worked for me from Panama to NYC in all conditions. Cheers.
RPBA Instructor
www.professionalyachtdelivery.com
LByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:43   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

Rechargeable, non-marine grade, non waterproof, non sun-light viewable products at the helm simply are not safe.

Proper MFDs start at very reasonable prices, and almost all current models will communicate via Wifi to a smart phone or tablet (that makes a great "convenience" repeater and planning device in the cabin).

We even got rid of our VHF WHAM mic at the helm in favour of a permanently mounted and wired mic. The wireless mic was forever bouncing around the cockpit, fortunately never went overboard (though I know many have) and batteries were always dead when needed most.

Making and breaking wiring connections frequently, leads to premature failure in all electronic devices.

As a navigation toy, or a cheap, convenient back-up device, tablets and smart phones are great, but IMHO should not be used as a primary navigation device.

Disclosure: I sell and install marine navigation equipment. This post is intended as friendly free advice, and is not intended to solicit business.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
I agree. My new Oceanis 45 will have a 7" MFD at each helm station plus a 12" in the center cockpit, and a 7" at the chart table. I also added extra T41 data displays above the companion way. The iPad is just another mobile repeater for the B&G system and it will also have iNavx as a independent backup nav system. I'll also have OpenCPN running on my laptop at the chart table and also on my phone. I like a lot of data! I look at the sails on occasion too.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:09   #8

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

I use a Ram Xgrip mount with a universal claw connector with my iPad mini in a Lifeproof Nuud case. For all practical purposes, it is water proof (but when the plug port is open for charging it is vulnerable). Mounted to the 1" tube of the Edson helm with a weather proof charging port on the bottom (facing downwards and slightly aft) edge of the instrument pod. Be advised, if installing either a weather proof USB port or a weather proof 'cigarette' type plug, you will need to have an Apple specific charger. that puts out 5VDC, rather than the lower voltages found with most adaptors. If you use one of the low voltage generic adaptors you'll find the iPad does not charge.

When open for charging I protect both the plug to the iPad Lifeproof Nuud case and the weather proof plug on the nav-pod with plastic bags and tape to shield them from spray. With the iPad mounted on the helm station (which is under a bimini) I have found visibility of the iPad screen to be very good. While I also have a small iPad compatible GPS receiver, I have paired the iPad to my Vesper WatchMate AIS transponder (with WiFi capabilities), which provides GPS data, as well as having the AIS data overlaid on the iPad charts. I'm also considering changing my older Furuno radar with a newer model, First Watch wireless radar, which is also iPad compatible.

The set-up described served me well on one of my very wet, miserable, 800nm bashes up the Pacific coast of Baja without a hitch. A damp rag was often required to wipe down the screen on the Lifeproof iPad case, but the system worked flawlessly all the way to San Diego.

I'm a RDF, compass, paper chart navigator who is old enough to have been on the water well before Loran-C became available. While I find the technical improvements in electronic navigation aids to be valuable to compare against deduced reckoning information, I'm not dependent on expensive, soon-to-be obsolete, dedicated chart-plotter/fish finder/depth finder units and feel the advances provided by iOS and Android devices a cost effective alternative even if one were to pay for redundancy, IMHO.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:30   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
I agree. My new Oceanis 45 will have a 7" MFD at each helm station plus a 12" in the center cockpit, and a 7" at the chart table. I also added extra T41 data displays above the companion way. The iPad is just another mobile repeater for the B&G system and it will also have iNavx as a independent backup nav system. I'll also have OpenCPN running on my laptop at the chart table and also on my phone. I like a lot of data! I look at the sails on occasion too.
Yep all except the 'serious' sailing comment, which was a bit careless. After all, what is 'not serious sailing'?

A small cheap art plotter is cheap no matter where you are. Doesnt have to be an MFD, which are more expensive. But for the reasons as indicated above, an ipad alone is a very bad idea. Not safe.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:49   #10

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

I use an otterbox case on my iPad mini at the helm station. The stand that came with the otterbox to hold it upright for reading was easily screwed to the helm bulkhead (on a catamaran) and made a convenient bracket to snap it in and out when used for navigation. The 12v charge cable is not waterproof but mine has been drenched with rain and salt spray for 5 years now and so far so good. I use navionics and share the app with my iphone for a backup. Cheap and effective. Good after a lightning strike too! This thread has shifted towards the reliability of these devices for navigation, but no one has touched on the fact that all electronic charts have errors, and some are very large. Each device is merely an aid to navigation, and from my 25+ years of experiences sailing in North America and the Caribbean commercially and for pleasure, THEY ARE NOT TO BE RELIED UPON SOLELY FOR NAVIGATION. Over the years my track lines have shown me passing through land while in a marked channel, or walking around like Jesus on the water when I was certain my feet were on an island, or dangerously close to an unmarked shoal where charts show none. So in summary my suggestion regarding devices is to have many and trust none.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:01   #11

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I've had very good luck with Lifeproof cases for Apple products.

Google RAM mounts... you will find all you need.

I disagree with the MFD plotter comment. After using a tablet for a transit of the IO , I just don see the point of spending the money on something you will have to upgrade in 2-3 years and requires you to buy propriateary equiptment to use.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:47   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
In order to dispel this sort of post/belief/notion, I'd like to offer up the following video we made last September during a Force 9 gale which lasted over 10 hours. All we use for cockpit navigation are two iPads inclosed in Lifeproof nuud cases, a RAM expandable mount at the helm and Lifeproof life jackets. I also have an iPhone 6 with a Lifeproof case and lifejacket. We also use a Furuno 24 mile radar (as seen in the video) and AIS.

It's all we've ever used for over six years. We also have two PC computers and paper charts, but no permanently mounted marine Chartplotter.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:01   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yep all except the 'serious' sailing comment, which was a bit careless. After all, what is 'not serious sailing'?

A small cheap art plotter is cheap no matter where you are. Doesnt have to be an MFD, which are more expensive. But for the reasons as indicated above, an ipad alone is a very bad idea. Not safe.
Please read my comment and watch the video on post #12 above. The iPads along with the PC to back them up, is all we've ever needed. The paper charts are there for my wife's entertainment, she likes to plot our course using GPS coordinates in order to see the big picture.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 20:35   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
In order to dispel this sort of post/belief/notion, I'd like to offer up the following video we made last September during a Force 9 gale which lasted over 10 hours. All we use for cockpit navigation are two iPads inclosed in Lifeproof nuud cases, a RAM expandable mount at the helm and Lifeproof life jackets. I also have an iPhone 6 with a Lifeproof case and lifejacket. We also use a Furuno 24 mile radar (as seen in the video) and AIS.

It's all we've ever used for over six years. We also have two PC computers and paper charts, but no permanently mounted marine Chartplotter.
Yup, and folks sailed across ocean's for hundreds of years without any electronic charts at all.

I certainly wouldn't say that an iPad couldn't be used. Obviously it can be.

Is it safe? More than no charts, but not as safe as a proper chartplotter in my opinion.

Lets face it, when on an ocean passage, one needs to look at a nav display, what, twice per day for 5 minutes?

In contrast, running the ICW, lake, or coastal sailing, one may want a nav display on constantly, at the helm.

I know of a number of portable devices being used as nav instruments that have met Davy Jones, but not one chartplotter (unless it went down with the ship).

Yes, on a cloudy day, under a dodger or bimini, an iPad is viewable if you hold it at the best angle. Take it back to the helm, and get some sun on the display; impossible to read (not to mention one hand holding the display, the other swiping the screen, and no hand for the boat).
Old 22-02-2016, 20:47   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

"Serious sailing" wasn't meant to be derogatory.

If one goes for a couple hour daysail, 3 times per year, in familiar waters, in fair conditions only, a chartplotter isn't likely warranted.

But at some point of increased "seriousness", a proper chartplotter is a near "essential" piece of safety gear IMHO.

Tags
Ipad