Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 13:36   #121
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: iPad Case and Mount Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Yes it does, but I will turn it and attach on the aft bulkhead for the coming season to reduce glare.
Still the Miix has a pretty bright screen and is reasonably well visible.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
OK. Here is some friendly and free advice.

If you have read this thread, you will already know my view of using a tablet as a primary navigation tool. Likely way more than "Nuff Said".

For your specific installation:

1. A tablet on it's back is very vunerable. Anything hard dropped on the screen could easily damage it.

2. When mounting, consider if:

a) That area is used as a backrest. (Companionway bulkheads are often the best seat in the house.)

b) Anyone's view of the display (who needs it) will be blocked by others in the cockpit.

There is little more annoying (for either party) than to have to repeatedly ask those in the cockpit to move, so one can see or access a display when needed.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:45   #122

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
We have yet to see an iPad or iPhone maintain waterproof integrity, when plugged in, even when enclosed in a 3rd party "water proof" enclosure. True or False?
I think this is TRUE, but I don't think it would be that much of a technical challenge to do it ?

Is there such a case ?

Someone please make one!

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:46   #123

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks for the thoughts.

The tablet is secondary nav tool and backs up the computer inside.
So it's contingency.

It will be to high to lean against it & in a spot where no-one sits.
Basically in front of the helmsman.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 02-03-2016, 13:49   #124

Due to the cable issue mentioned above I am investigating wireless charging from inside the bulkhead against which it's mounted.

Charge receiver inside the case.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 02-03-2016, 13:50   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I think this is TRUE, but I don't think it would be that much of a technical challenge to do it ?

Is there such a case ?

Someone please make one!

Cheers,
JM.
Try reading reply #39.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 14:07   #126
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Our cockpit 12 years ago:

The compass at each wheel has since gone because of displays that do a better job. Then we changed the instruments to be in the coaming where my wife has her elbow in the 1st picture:

Now we did away with the B&G Hydra2000 instruments but the new ones go in the same spot. There is no chartplotter in the cockpit, just in the pilothouse, which would be like under the dodger for smaller boats. I don't have a recent picture of that but here is the old gear:

The info available at the helm, by watching instruments further forward in the cockpit, is depth, stw, wind, hdg as well as course and distance to next waypoint, or the "highway" view for that. All on a multi-function repeater display, or the iPad of-course.
I like your boat.

Friendly advice; ill-conceived modifications can seriously devalue a vessel.

I will always want a magnetic compass mounted at the helm for the possible occasion where, "should all else fail..."
RamblinRod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
Old 02-03-2016, 14:11   #127
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I don't understand the need for waterproof. When it gets wet, I take my iPad and cocktail and sit in the pilothouse

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 14:13   #128

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Try reading reply #39.
I did read it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is a great mount for the iPad and when not charging it remains water proof.....
What I would like to see is a waterproof case that can easily be connected to charge the device while remaining waterproof.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 14:18   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iPad Case and Mount Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I will always want a magnetic compass mounted at the helm for the possible occasion where, "should all else fail..."

RamblinRod

Marine Service Provider

About Sheen Marine

But it isn't your boat For me, the port compass right next to an electric winch sucked so much I was glad to get rid of it and the starboard one needed a new membrane which was enough for me to take it out of service. It greatly added value to get nice crisp compass display from superbly calibrated sensors on new multi-function displays, while having an old tech compass stand-by if need to. Easy enough to add a compass if a new owner ever wishes but I think there are enough. If I count right I have about 12 of them aboard and that includes the binoculars, iPhones, iPads etc.

Old 02-03-2016, 14:27   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I did read it ?

What I would like to see is a waterproof case that can easily be connected to charge the device while remaining waterproof.
Apple is hinting its next iPhone release will have a wireless charging feature.

This may solve the charge cable penetration issue that plagues mobile device use in the cockpit.

I still won't recommend putting tablets in waterproof cases.

As easily as a water proof case can lock out moisture, it can also lock it in.

Regardless of all the marketing hype of case makers and techno geeks sitting in their apartments, an inherently waterproof electronic device is vastly superior.

I've had more than one mobile device water-logged while residing in a dry-bag that didn't seal properly.
Old 02-03-2016, 14:33   #131

Surely needs to be a case which you tested before use.

As to locking in moisture from air, add a small silica gel pouch.

Works for professional photographers a long time.

Btw. wireless charging can be retrofitted to almost all phones and tablets.

The tricky part seems to be to have a resonance stile charger not an inductive charger.
The inductive systems usually requires the item to be charged to be located directly on the charging surface.
They do not like a (perhaps locally slightly thinned down) deck or bulkhead surface in between the device and the charger.

Not sure if resonance based chargers are available yet.

Oh and by the way some fighter jet and commercial airline pilots use Ipads and tablets these days in flight.
Have seen plenty of supposedly waterproof marine electronics fail too due to moisture problems (for example Raymarine instruments).

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 02-03-2016, 14:41   #132

Boat: Nauticat 32

My leather case has so far been sufficient for the tablet. If some water drops reach it, I just wipe them away, and possibly move the tablet to a dryer location in the cockpit. Leather is nice because it is not slippery.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 14:55   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am normally the one promoting new tech, but in this thread I need to go retro: every sailor doing coastal navigation, during a passage, needs to have, at all times, an awareness of where he/she is, where dangers are, where safe areas are and at least two safe harbours/destinations are. I always take my intended destination and a backup downwind of that so I can sail to one without the need for beating upwind.

This means that all that the helmsman needs to know is a bearing to a safe sector, plus the next waypoint info, which can be as simple as a bearing or as fantastic as a full color highway display from the new gadgets.

The helmsman should have no need for a charplotter unless he needs to navigate while handsteering which equals single handing during emergencies.

Example 1: We now have a nifty Furuno radar/plotter in the pilothouse and it has a route pogrammed, with an active GOTO to the next waypoint. The N2k network feeds that, plus all sensor data, into the Autopilot which steers the boat, plus to a multi-function display in the cockpit that shows the highway screen for that active WP. If, during an emergency like the mother of all squalls, we resort to handsteering, the helmsman can see that highway plot plus depth, speed, wind and a compass display. He now knows where to steer for the WP (highway display) and also for a safe sector (compass display plus knowledge of safe heading). If a decision is made for another course, a new WP is programmed by the lucky one in the pilothouse and this pops up on the highway display.

After years of doing this, like during sail changes, wind shifts, squalls, ships on collision course etc., we have grown to not handsteer at all during any of those conditions. During sail changes, the AP has control and we never had weather so bad it couldn't handle and that includes sailing through named storms.
The reasons for this change are smarter electronics, like being able to steer an angle to the wind, or a straight line over ground compensating for cross currents etc. but much is also from gaining experience over the years. When the AP is steering, there is an extra pair of eyes to scan around and that is the best reason for using the AP as much as possible.

Old 02-03-2016, 15:24   #134
cruiser

Quote:
The helmsman should have no need for a charplotter unless he needs to navigate while handsteering which equals single handing during emergencies.

After years of doing this, like during sail changes, wind shifts, squalls, ships on collision course etc., we have grown to not handsteer at all during any of those conditions. During sail changes, the AP has control and we never had weather so bad it couldn't handle and that includes sailing through named storms.
The reasons for this change are smarter electronics, like being able to steer an angle to the wind, or a straight line over ground compensating for cross currents etc. but much is also from gaining experience over the years. When the AP is steering, there is an extra pair of eyes to scan around and that is the best reason for using the AP as much as possible.
I agree 100%. Exactly how we do things on our boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 15:24   #135

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
I am normally the one promoting new tech, but in this thread I need to go retro: every sailor doing coastal navigation, during a passage, needs to have, at all times, an awareness of where he/she is, where dangers are, where safe areas are and at least two safe harbours/destinations are. I always take my intended destination and a backup downwind of that so I can sail to one without the need for beating upwind.

This means that all that the helmsman needs to know is a bearing to a safe sector, plus the next waypoint info, which can be as simple as a bearing or as fantastic as a full color highway display from the new gadgets.

Example 1: We now have a nifty Furuno radar/plotter in the pilothouse and it has a route pogrammed, with an active GOTO to the next waypoint. The N2k network feeds that, plus all sensor data, into the Autopilot which steers the boat, plus to a multi-function display in the cockpit that shows the highway screen for that active WP. If, during an emergency like the mother of all squalls, we resort to handsteering, the helmsman can see that highway plot plus depth, speed, wind and a compass display. He now knows where to steer for the WP (highway display) and also for a safe sector (compass display plus knowledge of safe heading). If a decision is made for another course, a new WP is programmed by the lucky one in the pilothouse and this pops up on the highway display.

Yes to knowing the surroundings, having backup plans ready, and having all pairs of eyes on the watch (not on the compass, wheel or gadgets).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad