Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 00:33   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

I received an email from Interphase / Garmin that "all sales and production of Interphase products have been discontinued".

What other options are there for the rec boater for forward looking sonar?

I am aware of Echo Pilot...any others anyone can recommend?
__________________

__________________
waderpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:10   #2
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderpro
I received an email from Interphase / Garmin that "all sales and production of Interphase products have been discontinued".

What other options are there for the rec boater for forward looking sonar?

I am aware of Echo Pilot...any others anyone can recommend?
That can't have been a good corporate purchase then ?

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:37   #3
Registered User
 
jeremiason's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Sea Ray 270
Posts: 1,427
Images: 2
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

I was wondering how long it would take Garmin to shut them down... They purchased the company about one year ago.
__________________
Tom Jeremiason
Punta Gorda, Florida

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 05:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,573
Images: 240
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

EchoPilot - 3d Forward Looking Sonar
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 07:16   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 793
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Anybody know what the issue was/is? The deathly silence after the purchase was, well, deathly.
__________________
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:36   #6
Registered User
 
Blongsea's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia East Coast
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440
Posts: 36
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Sorry, I have received the advice to keep well clear of all INTERPHASE products! In fact, the company does not exist any more and the remaining stock was sold/given to GARMIN. This company have no interest probably because of the poor reliability of the INTERPHASE stuff. Why GARMIN took over is a bit of a mystery since they have so little interest in supporting it. So INTERPHASE is just a thin internet-fasade with almost nothing behind it today. Maybe you already know this? sad because I enjoyed playing with my unit intil it crashed... again!
__________________
Blongsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 19:12   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 234
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

My guess is that Garmin bought InterPhase to eliminate competition. No doubt they will release a reboxed product soon under the Garmin label. Glad i managed to get an upgrade of my old system before Garmin got to the closure part of their strategy.
__________________
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:06   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,441
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blongsea View Post
Sorry, I have received the advice to keep well clear of all INTERPHASE products! In fact, the company does not exist any more and the remaining stock was sold/given to GARMIN. This company have no interest probably because of the poor reliability of the INTERPHASE stuff. Why GARMIN took over is a bit of a mystery since they have so little interest in supporting it. So INTERPHASE is just a thin internet-fasade with almost nothing behind it today. Maybe you already know this? sad because I enjoyed playing with my unit intil it crashed... again!
Bugger! If I had known that Interphase products have such poor reliability I wouldn't have bought the Probes for either my previous boat or this one. The one on this boat is only ten year old, so may be dying even as I write. The one on my previous boat was installed in 1996 and is still going strong. I wonder what is wrong with it?

I for one will really miss those products if they do not reappear and I should change boats again.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 04:37   #9
Registered User
 
jeremiason's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Sea Ray 270
Posts: 1,427
Images: 2
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Bugger! If I had known that Interphase products have such poor reliability I wouldn't have bought the Probes for either my previous boat or this one. The one on this boat is only ten year old, so may be dying even as I write. The one on my previous boat was installed in 1996 and is still going strong. I wonder what is wrong with it?

I for one will really miss those products if they do not reappear and I should change boats again.

Cheers,

Jim


My six year old Interphase Color Twin Scope is a great tool for anchoring and getting around reefs or shallows.

I hate to see the Company closed down.
__________________
Tom Jeremiason
Punta Gorda, Florida

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 12:53   #10
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
You have to learn using these devices and as we're becoming more dumbed down as we go, they probably decided that the chances of finding customers capable of operating it were becoming too slim
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:51   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,441
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You have to learn using these devices and as we're becoming more dumbed down as we go, they probably decided that the chances of finding customers capable of operating it were becoming too slim
Damn it Nick, that means that radars are next on the list! Is there no hope for us?

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:53   #12
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Damn it Nick, that means that radars are next on the list! Is there no hope for us?

Cheers,

Jim
We can always go for a lobotomy
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 03:48   #13
Registered User
 
Albro359's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Elyse is in Fiji
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Posts: 510
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

I've got one these and it has an intermittent fault. Its the sensor cable and / or plug right at the monitor...
Anyone know where I can get a plug for this cable so I can rewire it...or an extension cable...they used to come in 10 and 30ft versions, but the one place , Koala GPS, that claimed to have them, don't....

Cheers
Alan
__________________
See you out there ....... Alan S.V. Elyse
now http://svelyse.weebly.com
older http://voyagesofDIVA.weebly.com
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 05:42   #14
Registered User
 
Atraxia's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Going to spend a few seasons in the Med, now in the Canary's
Boat: Mikelson 51, a Becker 27 for summers in Sweden and a Dutch Tjalk from 1909 we call home
Posts: 141
Send a message via Yahoo to Atraxia
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

I have a friend with a brand new (from last May) unit including 2 transducers, cables, screen and all, Bought it by mistake (misguidance af the sales rep) to use as a fish finder for special purposes. Tried it twice and gave up. Now wants to sell if anyone is interested.
__________________
To live your dream, you must first wake up.
Our blog: sailatraxia.com (English)
atraxia.se (Swedish)
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:32   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 1,693
Re: Interphase Sonar Discontinued? What other brand then?

I saw one of these last year and it looked like a 1980's video game screen. but it was only 1-2 years old. so sad for a newer product.

did they all look like this?
__________________

__________________
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.