Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 07:13   #16

Re: Internet Ubiquiti Bullet - Any Good ?

I updated to the latest firmware before it got 'lost' - didn't make a difference.

Funny, I met someone else in the Bahamas (just a couple of weeks before I had problems) who told me of their problems - exactly the same!
MollyBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 07:25   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBloom View Post
I updated to the latest firmware before it got 'lost' - didn't make a difference.

Funny, I met someone else in the Bahamas (just a couple of weeks before I had problems) who told me of their problems - exactly the same!
I was referring to v5.3.2. I was running 5.3.0 when I had problems. I've used other brands of long-range wifi and bought Ubiquity based on recommendations on CF. I will say I like the form factor and user-interface of the Bullet, but the jury is still out on the quality based on my experiences up to now. I'm certainly not ready to chuck it, but it's going to have to perform next time out.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 08:01   #18

I was ALSO referring to the NEWEST version. I am not just using it once in a while. We are living aboard and cruising full time - looking for internet every time we anchor - so having something reliable in ALL kinds of weather is very important. If you only use it once in a while - I'm sure it will last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I was referring to v5.3.2. I was running 5.3.0 when I had problems. I've used other brands of long-range wifi and bought Ubiquity based on recommendations on CF. I will say I like the form factor and user-interface of the Bullet, but the jury is still out on the quality based on my experiences up to now. I'm certainly not ready to chuck it, but it's going to have to perform next time out.
Old 20-05-2011, 08:03   #19

I wouldn't be 'chucking' mine IF it still worked AND if I could get a replacement on a timely basis - but I'm being asked to wait until mid June (when it stopped working at the end of April)
Old 20-05-2011, 08:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBloom View Post
I wouldn't be 'chucking' mine IF it still worked AND if I could get a replacement on a timely basis - but I'm being asked to wait until mid June (when it stopped working at the end of April)
I've had good luck with Engenius.
Old 20-05-2011, 09:21   #21

I have already purchased (and am using) a wirie which comes in a waterproof pelican box - very good for weather and is working great - thank you for your suggestion though
Old 23-06-2011, 17:30   #22

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I just received my Bullet m2hp along with a POE box containing a 15vdc supply. I also ordered a 15db omni antenna that is scheduled for delivery next week.

I am totally disgusted with Ubiquiti Networks support. I have yet to find a copy of the operators manual, the Ubiquiti site recommends using their forum for technical questions.... Yeah, I posted two questions which received almost immediate responses from folks there providing helpful answers. My third post to communicate with one of the posters was held up for review by a moderator!!! It along with another attempted post have not made the forum as I type. There was nothing in my posts that would have caused concerns.

Their support sucks! The Bullet looks like a well thought out design but what good is that if there is no technical support??? OH-- I have even left a telephone message at their support center. May as well talk to a wall! Buyer beware!

Getting ready to send the @#$%^ back!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:39   #23

AirOS user guide:

AirOS 5.3 - Ubiquiti Wiki

It's a wiki page.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:50   #24

Post your question and I'll try and answer it. I am running it just fine.

-p
Old 23-06-2011, 18:37   #25

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Pat--

Thanks for your willingness to help. My printer is printing the users guide (Thanks DotDun) as I type. I want to go over that before I post anything silly.

I was confused about having to go to192.168.1.20 because I could not get any response at that URL. I did learn this is not a general web site but a site that the Bullet communicates with for setup.

I tried using the set up instructions for the NanoStation, completed Part 2 where you set the TCP/IP back to OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY along with the DNS server. At that point though, I was unable to get to the Site Survey.

But I do not have an antenna connected to the Bullet yet. I won't get that until next week. I believe what I have left to do is Part 3 that includes the Site Survey and setting the Main Page.

I do have a simple question before I read the manual though. When trying to do Part 3, my guess is the wifi link to my router is being made through the Bullet and not my local wifi card in the laptop.

Again-- thanks

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:07   #26

In addition to my earlier posts, I will say that when I told the seller of the bullet that the replacement he would send - whenever it was again in stock - would be immediately placed for sale, he refunded my original purchase price - thank you. I had used it less than 4 months, had big problems while cruising out of the country and my only response was to wait for a few months until replacements came in!!!!!!! I did replace the bullit with the wirie, have had great support, and NO problems since starting to use it. I think one of the big problems is the fact that the bullet is NOT waterproof - unlike the wirie that is encased in a pelican box - and much easier to manoever being smaller. I and many others, highly recommend the wirie ! It's $100 cheaper too!
Old 24-06-2011, 07:04   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I wouldn't use the Bullet without an antenna attached. You're counting on any self-protection circuitry in the transmitter to work correctly.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:29   #28

I use windows vista and when using the bullet (with the antenna), I disabled the 'wifi' in the computer and used the LAN adapter.
Old 24-06-2011, 10:19   #29

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Pat--

Thanks for your willingness to help. My printer is printing the users guide (Thanks DotDun) as I type. I want to go over that before I post anything silly.

I was confused about having to go to192.168.1.20 because I could not get any response at that URL. I did learn this is not a general web site but a site that the Bullet communicates with for setup.

I tried using the set up instructions for the NanoStation, completed Part 2 where you set the TCP/IP back to OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY along with the DNS server. At that point though, I was unable to get to the Site Survey.

But I do not have an antenna connected to the Bullet yet. I won't get that until next week. I believe what I have left to do is Part 3 that includes the Site Survey and setting the Main Page.

I do have a simple question before I read the manual though. When trying to do Part 3, my guess is the wifi link to my router is being made through the Bullet and not my local wifi card in the laptop.

Again-- thanks

Foggy
From what I remember, the Bullet's default config is as an access point, not a wireless repeater. You cannot connect to it "out of the box" using the wireless WiFi port on your laptop. You must connect to it via an Ethernet cable in order to configure it. You need to set your PC's ethernet port to a fixed address, like 192.168.1.21, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. Then use your browser to go to http://192.168.1.20 (the Bullet's default IP address).

A handy guide is available here.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Pat--

Again-- thanks

Foggy
I think you're saying you have no idea what you're doing and you want to know how to set it up from scratch.

1. Connect the POE to your Bullet, plug the POE in the wall and connect your PC\Laptop\ETC to the LAN jack on the POE.

2. Set your IP Address to 192.168.1.1 on your PC\Laptop\ETC. If you don't know how to do this google "How to set a static IP for ..." Replace ... with your operating sytem.

3. Open your web browser and type in http://192.168.1.20

4. You should be prompted to login. The default login is
user: unbt
password: ubnt
You should now see Main web page for AirOS (the OS running on the Bullet).

If you get that far and the manual still doesn't help you, let me know if your attempting to set up the Bullet to connect directly to your PC\Laptop\ETC or if you want to connect to the bullet to an Access Point (Like a Linksys, Cisco, etc) and share the internet connection with several computers.

-p

Tags
internet