Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 19:06   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Internet On Board, Again

All our internet is through AT&T 3-4 G usb toggle, we have no problem with our service here at our dock down the bayou. We have mexican service with a few dollars more a month! works well anywhere a AT&T phone service is available! works for us, but we use it seldom when we cruise, but here at the dock we both spend way to much time on line! but the cost stays the same no matter how much we use it ! Works for us, but then we don't have to have the internet, as we also have ssb-ham availabel to us at sea, to e-mail the kids if we need to! so our needs are much less then yours, with a bizz and all!
Old 02-09-2013, 19:16   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Let's see, what do I know? In the US, Verizon and AT&T have the best networks. Sprint is #3. T-Mobile is okay when you stay put where they have a tower. I recommend the Verizon network.

But next is the plan. Verizon will sell 5Gbyte for $50. Tough deal IMHO. My average is 12Gbyte. So I found Millenicom.com where I bought an USB modem for the Verizon network (no SIM) and pay $60 for 20Gbyte. It registers as unlimited with the Verizon manager. No joke, best deal in the US.

I stick that USB modem in a Cradlepoint MBR95 router which can also uplink to wifi and even do fallback etc. It can even do that while providing wifi for your access too, so it's all-in-one.

I use a Wilson external antenna for the USB modem but only need it now and then.

I don't use the Cradlepoint for our wifi access, which is done with an Apple TimeCapsule, configured as bridge to the Cradlepoint. This gives me the 5GHz band and a big disk for wireless TimeMachine backups.

This works so well that I installed a second Cradlepoint router in our dinghy (which is a car while land cruising). When we go exploring, I just stick the USB modem in there and we have Internet.

This is all 3G because 4G is still limited coverage and not in the backwoods where we tend to hang out

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:57   #33

You might want to consider some of the products this site is offering iGeTek-3C Products Wholesaler - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling wifi adapter antenna,networking wifi adapter,wifi adapter usb and more on Aliexpress.com.

Some of the antennae are waterproof and good for 10 miles (so they say)

I use a much smaller usb antenna and have had good reception from nearby coffee shops/restaurants up to 500metres away. The cost of the initial coffee does add up and the service is not as reliable.

I also use an unblocked(not hard) AT&T mifi hotspot with a prepaid data sim card to get a service further out. We have even skyped on this service. This also allows us to have several devices accessing the internet.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:10   #34

installed an Intellian v60 on a boat last week. $25,000 for a dish. $1000 a month for internet. 0.15Mbps ! rocking speed

but works anywhere

some people have too much money...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet