Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 11:10   #1

Boat: Nordlund 61'
Internet Offshore

As part of my ongoing, slow motion preparations to prepare both my boat and crew for my eventual offshore adventures which will likely start in the Baja, I'm looking for the best, stable off shore satelite system for internet. I'm not looking for phone or TV but if they are part of the package, so be it.

Does anyone have a good offshore experience with any of the mainstream products???
quiet storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 11:21   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Internet offshore

lol..offshore--abstinence is the word on my boat--i wait until in port for internets and do not miss at all the using of my computer, as i am having fun at sea..... i know there ar e systems for use offshore, very pricy... gooodluck!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 11:35   #3

Re: Internet Offshore

I hear you, but planning my navigation to various anchorages I have quickly found that google earth may be my best navigation tool and for that I'll need internet access. The 1:600,000 charts combined with the "charlets" in various guid books in conjunction with google earth may very well be my navigation tools.
Old 24-04-2011, 12:00   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Inmarsat Fleet broadband,
Iridium Openport,
Iridium or Isatphone via modems (built in) (slow).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 12:03   #5

Do you have experience with these systems??? Are they truely stable and have coverage where they say they do???
Old 24-04-2011, 12:05   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hi, quiet storm and welcome to CF.

I used SSB, so I can't really help you other than point you to our archives. Try using the custom, Cruisers Forum-specific Google search feature located in the small "Search" pull-down menu, upper right on the page. Or click on the link in my sig line. There's a fair amount of info in past threads to get you started. Use search terms like satellite communications, offshore communications, Internet offshore, and the like.
Old 24-04-2011, 12:13   #7

If you plan on using google earth, then be well prepared for monthly access fees north of the $250 mark. Also, the sat hardware is designed for somewhat stabilised platforms. You'd realistically need to be sailing a 40ft+ cat, or a 55ft+ mono, for the consistent level of connection needed to successfully download file sizes associated with google earth. That being said, the KVH Tracfone V3 offers the most bang for the buck in a proven platform imo. The hardware will run about $15,000us. The marginally cheaper systems don't perform very well on smaller sailboats & are realistically too slow if you deem Google Earth a "necessity".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 12:18   #8

perfect - this is exactly the type of info i was looking for. Google Earth isn't "esstential" but certainly a nice to have.

We're on a 65 foot motor yatch so hopefully we'll be stable enough of a platform.

thanks for your thoughts.
Old 24-04-2011, 12:33   #9

Boat: Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Inmarsat Fleet broadband,
Iridium Openport,
Iridium or Isatphone via modems (built in) (slow).

b.
This is right on, with BGAN being the current "cat's meow".

The other thing to keep on the radar is WiMax, which is now becoming more and more abundant around the world (Singapore has the first %100 seaport coverage of WiMax). If you plan on being near a major coast often a subscription might be worth it.

Wi-Sky which also serves the airline industry has started to take aim at vessels as well.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:56   #10

Boat: Island Packet 35
For the money maybe consider setting up a light GE enterprise server and update the earth while in port?
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:28   #11
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

We have Inmarsat Fleet broadband FB250 terminal, we pay $2500 per month.. Using google earth while possible will suck up your internet transfer quota too fast, it would be gone in a day or two, we use it to transfer kids school work back and forth, my trading and some plain text emails, we used to get 750mb download, but recently that increased to 900mb.
It is fairly reliable when not in motion at an atoll, but while under way it can be a little hit and miss if satellites aren't in ideal places. It does the job well for us even though it is rather expensive, right now there really isn't anything else available.

Someone mentioned the TracPhone, that's a great product but has fairly limited coverage, we need full coverage of the Pacific, check out the coverage of any product before you dive into it, right now Inmarsat is the only one that has decent speed with full global coverage.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 20:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Internet Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
We have Inmarsat Fleet broadband FB250 terminal, we pay $2500 per month.. Using google earth while possible will suck up your internet transfer quota too fast, it would be gone in a day or two, we use it to transfer kids school work back and forth, my trading and some plain text emails, we used to get 750mb download, but recently that increased to 900mb.
It is fairly reliable when not in motion at an atoll, but while under way it can be a little hit and miss if satellites aren't in ideal places. It does the job well for us even though it is rather expensive, right now there really isn't anything else available.

Someone mentioned the TracPhone, that's a great product but has fairly limited coverage, we need full coverage of the Pacific, check out the coverage of any product before you dive into it, right now Inmarsat is the only one that has decent speed with full global coverage.
Thats blown the $500/mth budget right outa the water.....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 23:06   #13

Ok - that does it - I don't need live streaming that badly!!! I'll try to cheat and devise a way to store the Google Earth data for the areas in question onto a portable hard drive and see if I can't work it that way. Thank you all for your ideas and knowledge.
Old 25-04-2011, 03:58   #14

Just read your post from a while ago and it prompted me to join.
A very good write up by Frank of Tahina Expeditions on how to use Google Earth offshore with out internet. Basically how to save the maps when you have internet and then view later. The satelite option sounds way too expensive for me, you could cruise for months on that budget. Here is the link. http://www.tahinaexpedition.com/2010...r-sailors.html
catchcryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 05:00   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
This is right on, with BGAN being the current "cat's meow".
Youch on price/mb

http://www.satphone.com.au/dmdocumen...me%20Plans.pdf

Tags
internet, offshore