Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 05:49   #31

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop
Re: Internet in the Pacific North West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Check into it they say they have coverage in many cities in Montana now as of Oct 2015
T-Mobile confirms new Extended Range LTE coverage in Montana » TmoNews
I will have to look a little further into that.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:52   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Bill definitely let us know how it goes up there pm me as I'm not on most of the time from April thru October but once a week or so.
Newhaul,

Our schedule is about like yours for coms during the summer...

I did a little research into T-Mobile specifically due to this discussion and their ads touting 'unlimited' data and unlimited movie and music streaming that doesn't subtract from the 6GBs...

Some quick findings [which will undoubtedly change as time goes on...]:
  • Unlimited data means your device will not get LTE speeds once you hit your high speed quota. Fair enough, but should be understood.
  • Some high Speed service offerings only apply to T-Mobile networks [i.e., not on partner networks they have associated with...] Therefore, access is geographically more limited than might first appear.
  • Unlimited movie and music streaming has caveats, but would be worthwhile if that is what you want. Read fine print carefully.

e.g., Since we have a WiriePro that can also take a Cell SIM card for data only, that is what I was researching.

The current T-Mobile plan that includes the services listed above is the "Simple Choice Plan. For US$35/month I could get 6GB and unlimited movie and music streaming. [I'll let you read the specifics on the T-Mobile site linked above...]

That would be worthwhile to us when in areas where there is coverage for that plan... unfortunately, while T-Mobile does have coverage for the Simple Choice Plan in BC and WA [confining this discussion to the PNW...] in SE AK there is no coverage for the above plan; only standard cell service. [My conjecture is this is because they are partnering with AT&T for SE AK coverage, and AT&T has not put LTE everywhere, but I have not confirmed that, and don't need to... I chatted with a T-Mobile rep and they confirmed this.]

Here is a link to the T-Mobile coverage map. As you drill-in on specific areas, what you are looking for is the dark maroon Simple Choice Plan coverage areas...

I would buy a SIM and test this out if I were in your area, and may next time we travel through BC [possibly this summer...]

In hopes this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 16-03-2016, 22:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Bill thanks for the update I'm sure it will help nick as well. Rob