Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 23:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Internet at sea and in remote areas

Sorry if this ends up as a redundant post/thread but I did google it and did not see what I was looking for.
With great interest I see a few of our forum cruisers out cruising with Internet. Mark J comes to mind. I am wondering what equipment you need and what the monthly rate is. I am a Ham but not sure if thats the latest thing or not. It seems that during the Storm Mark was in, he was reporting in frequently. That was until Hud accidentally erased it...Sheeezzz! Anyways, I would be interested to know.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Wile In Greece - I have a usb card that fits in my laptop and presto I have broard band thru most of the Greek Islands its from Votophone and is only 30 euros a month for 5 GB run off the cell phone towers

its good for 20-30 miles so most of the time im in range- same in Italy

I also have a wifi amp and anntinea on my spreader and pick up wifi at many places
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sorry if this ends up as a redundant post/thread but I did google it and did not see what I was looking for.
With great interest I see a few of our forum cruisers out cruising with Internet. Mark J comes to mind. I am wondering what equipment you need and what the monthly rate is. I am a Ham but not sure if thats the latest thing or not. It seems that during the Storm Mark was in, he was reporting in frequently. That was until Hud accidentally erased it...Sheeezzz! Anyways, I would be interested to know.
CS,

I didn't erase it. It's all still in the "...Frikkin Cyclone" thread, starting about here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-24246-7.html

The sort of connection they're talking about is based on a cellular phone connection, and so is limited to cellular coverage areas near land.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The sort of connection they're talking about is based on a cellular phone connection, and so is limited to cellular coverage areas near land.
Sort of - its the telstra 3G network which is designed for data as much as it is for voice. You can get 3G mobile (or cellular as the septics would say) phones, and you can get 3G network access cards for laptops.

See Tesltra (or in Marks Case - Optus) home pages for all sorts of dribble on the systems and costs.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
SO, FACTOR... are you saying the 3G network would be a better source for transmitting data (as in laptop stuff, internet, skype, e-fax)? I'm all for a $30-60 monthly bill for access like that over most of the globe. Is their sat coverage good offshore or are they limited to the coastal areas?
You sound like you speak from experience.

true?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
The 3G network is voice and data. The data speeds are fairly good -- better than a modem. But as Hud3 says, it is limited to cell tower coverage. For the southern coast of California, it is spotty, but it does extend offshore a few nautical miles. It works and it has limitations. It simply will not work "over most of the globe" BUT it will work in different parts of the globe depending on nearby population density (which usually equals more landbased cell towers.)

So it is not necessarily a "better source for transmitting data" -- it is one source that can work in some places.

I use a Sierra Wireless "Card" -- but it actually looks like a thumbnail drive that plugs into a USB port. I am on the AT&T network. Costs 60 a month. Works great in the marina. And in some areas (Like LA or San Diego) extends a mile or two offshore -- maybe a little more at times. But along less dense population areas along the coast (Oceanside) it is almost strictly limited to land.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56   #7

Ok cool...I guess I am surprised and the cell phone coverage throughout the world. Ram was stating 20-30 miles. It's no where near that good in the US. For $40us, that's a deal! I guess Aus, NZ and Europe have it together in the Internet world.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
CS,

I didn't erase it. It's all still in the "...Frikkin Cyclone" thread, starting about here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-24246-7.html

Sorry about the accusation...I thought you said you had lost some of the posts. You do fine job Hud
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30   #9

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
"Internet at sea and in remote areas"
For offshore try the bgan system operated by inmarsat. As of this month they now cover the world. (The Pacific was missing previously). The marine version called Fleet Broadband is a little pricey but the land version "bgan" can be had for under $2000 nowadays and will provide high speed Internet at sea in all but the roughest conditions.
BGAN - Inmarsat

Dave
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49   #10

I think for the money I would have to forfeit the offshore price tag and stick to the 3G network idea. Does anyone know how well this works in Mexico?
Old 13-03-2009, 04:04   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Sorry I missed this thread.

Contact HUAWEI.com as they are the suppliers of the technioology world wide. Its not just 3G but CDMA too.

It really is excellent as a measure before HF radio and satleite.

The price is surely much better. $30 per month / 1 GB

This damn thing has gotta take over the world

And you can change SIM cards so the modem can move too

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:15   #12

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If you get the Wilson external antenna for the "Sierra Wireless Aircard" it greatly increases reception for up to 20 miles or more.I use mine in Canada with good results.The company says it will work in the U.S. but not Mexico.I pay about $60. for one Gb.They used to offer unlimited for $100.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 10:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sorry I missed this thread.

Contact HUAWEI.com as they are the suppliers of the technioology world wide. Its not just 3G but CDMA too.

It really is excellent as a measure before HF radio and satleite.

The price is surely much better. $30 per month / 1 GB

This damn thing has gotta take over the world

And you can change SIM cards so the modem can move too
Thanks Mark...I figured you would chime in soon. I will check out that site...
Old 13-03-2009, 10:21   #14

Highseas...Is that antenna good for pirating signals too?
Old 13-03-2009, 11:11   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"stick to the 3G network idea. Does anyone know how well this works in Mexico?"

If you want "global" you will need to buy satellite service, not cell phone service. If you buy cell phone service you are limited to your carrier's network, and there are no truly global networks. There are totally incompatible systems and standards as you travel, although GSM is the largest "3G" is meaningless except as a vague speed rating. CDMA2000/G3 and GSM/G3 are totally incompatible, for example.

Also bear in mind that a $60/month unlimited data plan (which usually is in fact limited to 5GB) is a DOMESTIC plan, not an international one, and that you may pay another dollar per minute for international roaming fees on top of that.

The devil is in the details.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote