Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 16:25   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Internet at sea about to get a lot better

I couldn't find a great spot for this sonim putting it here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/11/15/elon-musks-spacex-wins-fcc-approval-put-starlink-internet-satellites-into-orbit/

In the next 5 to 10 years the global sat internet coverage should get really good and far more reasonablely priced than current offerings.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 17:05   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Internet at sea about to get a lot better

I can't wait to tell our cable company where to stick their internet service monopoly...
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 17:44   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I can't wait to tell our cable company where to stick their internet service monopoly...

But the cable company doesn't really have that. Internet used to be via phone lines, then cable got faster, now many (like me) are back to telephone but on their cell phone
Old 15-11-2018, 17:55   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
I'm with you on that.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

But the cable company doesn't really have that. Internet used to be via phone lines, then cable got faster, now many (like me) are back to telephone but on their cell phone
Yeah, I'm also rooting for 5G to replace cable. I'm not betting much on it at this point though.

Around here, reliable high-speed internet means dealing with one, and only one, cable company.

Five towns in our area banded together to gain what they thought would be more bargaining power with the cable companies.

Instead all it means is the cable company only has to fly their team of lawyers to one location, instead of five, when it comes time to screw us renew the contract again. The towns don't really get much say in what the terms will be.

Any serious competition would be welcome!
Old 16-11-2018, 08:03   #6

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 361

While I think global satellite internet will do a lot to improve conditions for much of the world, I really hate the idea that I won't be able to escape being connected. Granted I don't even have a boat, but I can't stand the idea of being on a pacific crossing while everyone dicks around on instagram or sits through work conferences.
Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iduna View Post
While I think global satellite internet will do a lot to improve conditions for much of the world, I really hate the idea that I won't be able to escape being connected. Granted I don't even have a boat, but I can't stand the idea of being on a pacific crossing while everyone dicks around on instagram or sits through work conferences.
Or reviewing cruisers forum and making posts.

Just turn the device(s) off when you desire to disconnect or simpler yet, don't bring them on board.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:22   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iduna View Post

I'm with you on that X10. What in the hell is the purpose of doing anything, if everyone present is zoned out catatonically staring at a 4" screen, instead of actually living in reality. We are seeing some major changes in human existence, and not for the better in my view. Major changes..
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

"John, you really have to talk to Mary. It's been 3 days for Pete's sake and all she has done is read comics and listen to those damned Beatles records in her room. She needs to get outside and enjoy the lake."

- Family vacation conversation circa 1965

Every generation of kids suck, except my generation of course...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"John, you really have to talk to Mary. It's been 3 days for Pete's sake and all she has done is read comics and listen to those damned Beatles records in her room. She needs to get outside and enjoy the lake."

- Family vacation conversation circa 1965

Every generation of kids suck, except my generation of course...

Except now it's the parents doing it...
Old 16-11-2018, 08:48   #11

Don't worry, it'll all get better when we finally have a direct internet link to our brains. No more need for tiny screens, and the whole world of human knowledge will be right there in our skulls.

OK, so I admit it's a double-edged sword. But I, for one, am not ready to give up the access to information I have now. We are truly living in amazing times, when we can look up anything known to man in an instant. I don't know how long it'll last, or if it'll get better or worse. But I do enjoy it a bit more often than hate it.
Old 16-11-2018, 08:59   #12

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Or reviewing cruisers forum and making posts.

Just turn the device(s) off when you desire to disconnect or simpler yet, don't bring them on board.
I'm not concerned with my personal ability to disconnect, that was more a statement for society in general.
Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 09:18   #13

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Uh....GRANDPARENTS
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Except now it's the parents doing it...
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 09:54   #14

Boat: Colegate 26

... wow you guys are bitter! I just want weather and safety updates as I bob around out of sight of land - haha!
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 10:07   #15

Quote:
Don't worry, it'll all get better when we finally have a direct internet link to our brains. No more need for tiny screens, and the whole world of human knowledge will be right there in our skulls.

OK, so I admit it's a double-edged sword. But I, for one, am not ready to give up the access to information I have now. We are truly living in amazing times, when we can look up anything known to man in an instant. I don't know how long it'll last, or if it'll get better or worse. But I do enjoy it a bit more often than hate it.

I agree with you on that. IMHO, the Internet is a greater asset to humankind than the printing press was. The ability to access, and build on, practically all the world's knowledge from your fingertips is a positive and revolutionary thing.

But the addictive and alter ego life existence of social media is a candy coated hell, and successive generations are paying a serious price in mental development. Humans naturally follow the path of least resistance, and social studies of young people in the smart phone age consistently show social anxiety levels of young people are sharply rising, and inter-personal social skills are declining. Hard to see how that is going to reverse, with 24/7 lives on handheld social media. I may sound like a nut, but I do believe we are going to see major negative changes in the computer between our ears.

Tags
internet