Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 20:44   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Internet access via WIFI

A screenshot would be helpful for sure
Old 12-01-2019, 21:09   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Attached a couple of screen prints in a docx file
Hopefully you can see where i went wrong
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:12   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As Macblaze suggests:
It is fairly common for someone to set up a private WiFi router so that it only allows specific MAC addresses (specific authorized devices) to connect. If you aren't on that list--you're not going to be connected. Unless you spoof an authorized MAC but that's a bit unconventional and often illegal.

"often illegal"?

If it is illegal there must be a law that prohibits it. Could you please share with us which law this is?

I change my MAC address all the time, and I have many very good reasons for doing this.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:15   #19

maybe this time lucky 5 file attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi1.png
Views:	125
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	183722   Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	183723  

Name:	wifi3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	183724   Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi4.png
Views:	96
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	183725  

Name:	wifi5.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	183726  
Old 12-01-2019, 21:26   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
maybe this time lucky 5 file attached
It appears you are not getting a DHCP lease from their system. You didn't send a shot of the DHCP Client fields but I inferred this from the fact that your WLAN0 IP address is = the DHCP Fallback IP.

One thing to try first is to NOT Lock to the AP's MAC address. Clear that out, and don't choose that button when you select the WiFi network. Also, if there are multiple EOL_Public_WiFi networks listed when you scan for networks, try a different one.
Old 12-01-2019, 22:36   #21

I Did what you suggested eg not lock and tried all the Eol free AP's and none will give me access to their website. The signal strength varies from -53 to -82 dBm .Also tried all of them Locked --> same problem
The page with DHCP client detail shows :
Interface: WLan0 Status: Not connected
Nothing else.
I attached 2 more screen prints, one a part list of available AP's + Current AP information
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wifi 6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	183733   Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi 7.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	183734  

Old 12-01-2019, 23:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Change the mac address of the Bullet WLAN to something different. Just change any digit.
Old 12-01-2019, 23:20   #23

I changed the last set from C1 to D5 signal strength -51
DHCP client -->shows NOT connected
KBytes Tx 8.34 Rx 0
But no change otherwise unfortunately
Old 12-01-2019, 23:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Just not getting DHCP from the public Wifi. You should try a completely different network.
Old 12-01-2019, 23:38   #25

I changed to the only other free ap reboot Bullet just in case
On the main page:
No signal strength
AP MAC: Not Associated
DHCp client --. no connection
AP information : not associated
Throughput on Lan0 only: RX & Tx showing data -- Wlan0 graph window has disappeared
Old 13-01-2019, 09:33   #26

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
"often illegal"?

If it is illegal there must be a law that prohibits it. Could you please share with us which law this is?

I change my MAC address all the time, and I have many very good reasons for doing this.
Chill dude...it was tongue in cheek. Hacking your way into networks is "often" considered a "bad thing."

I'm glad this thread was posted. I have been considering a wifi extender and I hadn't realized that there was so much variation between companies. As much as I enjoy beating my network into submission at home, I think on board it would quickly become a huge annoyance.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:58   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Chill dude...it was tongue in cheek. Hacking your way into networks is "often" considered a "bad thing."

I'm glad this thread was posted. I have been considering a wifi extender and I hadn't realized that there was so much variation between companies. As much as I enjoy beating my network into submission at home, I think on board it would quickly become a huge annoyance.
Exactly! There are certainly a whole bunch of techie sailors nowadays who can easily manage somewhat complicated systems, and in many cases they enjoy tinkering. I am/was one of those myself. But while I am technical, I no longer enjoy fighting with tech just to do other things, I need my tech to be nearly invisible so I can get other things done, from work to play. I have both Android and iPhone, Mac and PC (Windows 10 on MS Surface actually), and I have 3 different cellular devices and 3 different wifi extenders on the boat. I can tell you which ones I use daily, because they just work, compared to the ones that I have to futz with, or might work well but take too much time to set up, or don't give me the information I need to troubleshoot when something doesn't work...

MacOS, iPhone - they just work. Microsoft Surface Pro and Moto X4, SUPER Cool stuff, lots of interesting features, but very inconsistent performance day to day.

Bullet and Groove WiFi extenders, great hardware, great features sets, but not fit for purpose (never were designed to be used by consumers on boats). That doesn't mean they are bad, just that they may not be the right choice if you want something that consistently works, and is easy, for a boater to use.

If you value simplicity, ease-of-use, features important to cruisers, then Wave WiFi Rogue for WiFi extenders is the best right now. They also have the best cellular option for cruisers as well, due to global support and ease-of-use again.

There are lots of options on the market, all of them have pros and cons (cost can be one of the cons).. But if you want something that you can power up, click a button, and be off and running, nothing beats the Wave Wifi Rogue and MBR Cellular router combo.

More info on cellular here:
And you can see the options here:
Old 13-01-2019, 13:52   #28

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
I recently installed a Ubiquiti Bullet M2 https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/with a all-round antenna, mounted well above the solar panels, to give it a clear 'view'.
Connected to a laptop running WIN10 with a RJ45 cable over a POE box.
The system receives ton's of WIFI ap's, many more than just using the laptop Wifi receiver, also the signal strength is far superior.
So it seems like a perfect solution.. Or is it?

The problem I am having is that the bullet connects perfectly to the AP.
BUT that's as far as it goes. --> Just a connection.
It will not let me make contact with the website in order to agree (tick the box) to the disclaimer etc.

So, I contacted the Ubiquiti forum for a solution, where they, in short, tell me the following:
If there is a login to a Website behind the access
point. This is common for business WiFi service. . It works by finding the MAC address of the WiFi device; it will not permit a login to the MAC address of any other device.
In this case, the company Website login finds the MAC address of the Bullet radio--not the one for your laptop. It will not permit you to login. You need to use the WiFi device in your laptop

Is there a way to bypass the MAC address of the Bullet and feed the connected AP, the MAC address of the laptop instead

Does anyone have an other solution??

I have a bullet set up on my boat essentially as you describe, except that it is connected to a router, and I log into the router with my laptop. I have had no problem connecting to access points requiring log-ins. If I connect to a site requiring an additional log in, there will be a message in the wireless tab in the Bullet menu saying that "additional information is required to log into this site". I then open a new tab in my browser and the log in page appears. I have found that my Firefox settings sometimes screws up the log in due to pop up blockers etc, but if I use a different browser like IE it works fine. So, you might want to try a different browser. I have used it for the last several months to log into my marina WIFI which requires a log in page and paying via credit card. Once paid, the bullet re-acquires the access point without me doing anything. I just turn it on and it connects. I have also connected to hotel access points and get the hotel log in page asking for my name and room number. Since I didn't have a room at the hotel, I was unable to log in, the the Bullet had no problem displaying the log in page.

Thus, I disagree with others who say that the Bullet is not a good solution for a boat. Once configured, I have not had to mess with any of the settings. I turn it on and off all day long and it reconnects to the last access point it was connected to. The only time I need to go into the Bullet menu is when I move and need to reconnect to a new access point. All devices on my boat simply log into the router and are connected. I also have a 4G modem supplying cellular data into the same modem through a switch so I can select whether I want internet through the Bullet or through cellular. I am not an IT expert and don't find this particularly difficult to set up.

I have a write-up that you can download on my website describing my system and the Bullet settings:

www.terrapinsailing.com

Good luck!
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 14:14   #29

Boat: Beneteou 35s5

You need are Router. You have one device what is receiving communication(modem). Now you need device what will allow more devices to talk(router).
markpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 14:16   #30

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post

Bullet and Groove WiFi extenders, great hardware, great features sets, but not fit for purpose (never were designed to be used by consumers on boats). That doesn't mean they are bad, just that they may not be the right choice if you want something that consistently works, and is easy, for a boater to use.

If you value simplicity, ease-of-use, features important to cruisers, then Wave WiFi Rogue for WiFi extenders is the best right now. They also have the best cellular option for cruisers as well, due to global support and ease-of-use again.

There are lots of options on the market, all of them have pros and cons (cost can be one of the cons).. But if you want something that you can power up, click a button, and be off and running, nothing beats the Wave Wifi Rogue and MBR Cellular router combo.

More info on cellular here:
And you can see the options here:

My understanding is that the Wave Rogue is essentially the Ubiquiti Bullet with a different (simplified?) operating system. The Bullet and other Ubiquiti devices like the Nanostation use the AirOS operating system which I find no more difficult to use than a typical router menu. So, it is a bit disingenuous to imply that the Wave Rogue would somehow eliminate the problems the OP has. It is the same hardware and the setting requirements are the same. The difference I see is that the Wave Rogue is a turnkey system with Bullet, antenna, cable, etc, whereas the Ubiquiti Bullet system requires you to source those parts separately. Not that difficult, and considerably less expensive.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, wifi