Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2013, 18:14   #1

Internet Access on US East Coast

Having just finished coming up the ICW, I am astounded at the expansion of Verizon's LTE service. They've made huge strides since even last fall's trip south. During this this trip, there were very few areas where I did not have at least a 2 bar LTE signal on my IPAD providing around 3 Mbps. It wasn't just the cities. I had great service in the marshes of Georgia. Right now I'm sitting in Chesapeake City with five bars and 38 Mbps!

At least on this route (and about 10 miles offshore), there's no longer a need to find out the marina wifi code or fiddle with wifi or cellular antenna/amplifiers only to have 1 Mbps or less.

Better, my $50 a month 5GB Verizon service on the Ipad can be shared with any other computer or device on the boat using the Ipad's "Personal Hotspot". And there's no contract. I can buy what I need each month.

Now if only it was as easy in the Bahamas. Maybe next year.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: