Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2009, 17:57   #46

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am aware it is off this thread - but the 'missin' island' - which one is this? Amazing....
b.
seems you stopped following that thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3&postcount=17
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:15   #47

Boat: Lagoon 420
I'm trying to do a similar hookup but failing miserably. I have enabled the NMEA output in the ST60 Graphic unit. I have created a cable from my ST60 graphic NMEA output to a DB9 RS232 connector connecting the + to pin 3 and the - to pin 5. I am using hyperterminal to look at the data on my PC and all I get is garbage at 4800,8,N,1. If I connect my garmin handheld into the same RS232 to USB adapter I see sensible strings.

Any thoughts? I suspect it's the cable I made up but can't be sure.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I believe that I read somewhere that Raymarine units talk at the higher baud rates like AIS units do.

You may need to have a seperate com port configured for the raymarine gear with a higher baud rate.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
note that 0183 signals are TTL level and some rs232 hardware cant handle the low input levels
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:05   #50

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
I have created a cable from my ST60 graphic NMEA output to a DB9 RS232 connector connecting the + to pin 3 and the - to pin 5.
On a PC 9-pin RS232 connector, pin 2 is RxD - that's where the PC reads the data.

Pin3 is TxD - that's where the PC will send it's data to another device.

You want your PC to receive data comming from the ST60. So NMEA-Out + has to go to Pin 2 on the 9-pin sub-d plug.

Regards
Frank
oprlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 13:05   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

ess-
I don't think I've ever made up a custom serial cable that was right the first time. On the DB9 type, pins 2 and 3 are your data pair and pin 5 is typically a common ground, which may or may not be separate from other grounds.
The problem is that pins 2 and 3 are described as "TxD" and "RxD" and those descriptions ARE WORSE THAN USELESS because they are relative terms and the descriptions are REVERSED depending on which side of the cable you are working on.
For instance, the "TxD" line from a GPS is the line on which the GPS is "Talking". From the GPS maker's point of view, that is TxD. Now if you go to plug that into an autopilot--you are going to plug it into the RxD connection, because the autopilot is LISTENING for that talker on that wire. TxD always becomes RxD, and RxD always becomes TxD, when all you have is a simple one-to-one connection.
In more complicated setups, where there may be several "talkers" and one "listener", or vice versa, how you wire things up may change.

Bottom line? Tx and Rx (as they are also commonly called) should be on pins 2 and 3, and if it doesn't work, one of the most common problems is that you've just got these backwards. Me, sometimes I get boat brains and wire the DB9 up backwards anyway. I find that it really really helps to use a loupe, make sure of which pins are #2 and #3, and then MARK THEM with a paint or magic marker, before even thinking about soldering them. It is very easy to rotate the DB9 shell in your hand, and wind up with the pins connected wrong.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 14:21   #52

Boat: Lagoon 420
Typo in my first message. My + from the ST60 was in fact connected to pin 2 (not 3 as I originally typed). The - was wired to pin 5 as stated. I do see traffic from the unit but it's garbage. I have tried all the different baud rates and it changes the garbage being received as expected. The garbage being seen comes in bursts just as one would expect data to come from the unit. The garbage stops when I switch off the nav instruments. So I think it's talking and I think the wiring is roughly right or I wouldn't see anything.

What I am seeing could be explained by goboatingnow's explanation. ie I am seeing something but not enough to obtain fidelity. I would rather it's something else though.
Old 08-11-2009, 13:56   #53
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Connect your DC ground to pin 5, ST60 + to pin 2 and ST60 - to pin 3 and give it a try.
Old 18-02-2012, 21:44   #54

Re: Interfacing NMEA Data to Computer

So why not just go directly into a USB cable bare wires to bare wires?

Is there a schematic online that shows which wires on the USB cable correspond to the serial port pins?

J
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:33   #55

I'm gonna go ahead and +1 the earlier recommendation of the shipmodul 41 bt.

On my last boat I had a Garmin plotter, uniden radio, miltech AIS reciever, and ray st60+ instruments all networked via Bluetooth to a mac and then wifi to an iphone. worked very, very well.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:02   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboats View Post
So why not just go directly into a USB cable bare wires to bare wires?

Is there a schematic online that shows which wires on the USB cable correspond to the serial port pins?

J
That's just not going to work. The USB interface is not compatible with RS232. The signal level, signal format, bit rate, coding, firmware, and software (at several levels) are all different. This is why you need an adaptor.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:04   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
That's just not going to work. The USB interface is not compatible with RS232. The signal level, signal format, bit rate, coding, firmware, and software (at several levels) are all different. This is why you need an adaptor.
Will this work?

USB RS422 Cables

I'm trying to hook up the NMEA 0183 output wires from the cradle of my HX851 to my laptop pc.

thanks
Old 19-02-2012, 20:54   #58

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Two results of a "nmea to usb" google.

There were other more expensive options with more features such as multiplexing.

Introduction This one is Actisense, don't see the price but there is a "where to buy" link.
edit,... here's the Actisense from Blue Heron Marine. http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Actisense-USG-1-USB-to-NMEA-0183-Adapter-5332

A UK product, Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead This one looks like the the cable you linked to but it specifically mentions NMEA. That FTDI cable is from the chipset maker and probably intended for distribution to a third party supplier for product integration like the Digital Yacht cable.

edit,... here from Defender, good price. about half way down the page. http://search.defender.com/?expression=nmea%20cable

I have an 851. If you are just wishing to have the internal GPS interface with your PC charting program consider an inexpensive usb puck style like the bu-353 instead. Mine works fine with PolarView and OpenCPN.

I have purchased more than once from GPStore, they have good prices.

Laptop GPS and PC GPS systems From the GPS Store, Inc.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 23:14   #59

I was considering going that route because the receivers are less than the stupid cable, but I was thinking that I could transmit way points to the 851 from OpenCPN if I had the tx rx connections... if that's even possible?
Old 19-02-2012, 23:18   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboats View Post
Will this work?

USB RS422 Cables

I'm trying to hook up the NMEA 0183 output wires from the cradle of my HX851 to my laptop pc.

thanks
The HX851 has an unbalanced output (NMEA+ / ground), and should interface well to a low-cost RS232/USB adaptor. Just make sure you have the proper drivers for the adaptor and your computer's OS.

Connect the Blue wire (the radio's NMEA Out+) to the RS232 pin 3, and the Green wire (radio Ground) to RS232 pin 5. (Assuming the RS232 adaptor has a DB-9 connector, which most do)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea