Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2013, 00:58   #1

Boat: Gib' Sea 352
Integration - Raymarine C80 plotter

Hi

I have a Raymarine C80 classic plotter and am trying to figure out a way to upload routes to it "over the wire". The idea is that one can prepare a route off line on a laptop using OpenCPN or an iPad using something like iNavX and then send it to the plotter and not needing the lapto or iPad during the actual passage.

I have looked at multiplexor solutions like the iMux but information is a bit scant on whether once can actually send routes to the plotter.

Looking at the C80 documentation it accepts the ROUTE and WAYPOINT NMEA sentences via its NMEA port so in theory this should be possible however I don't know whether products like iNAVX and OpenCPN can actually transmit the route in this format.

Regards
Patrick

Old 15-05-2013, 08:21   #2

Any takers ?

Old 15-05-2013, 08:36   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Integration - Raymarine C80 plotter

OpenCPN does generate the RTE sentence and the C-series does process it. I've not implemented that myself so I haven't gone through the details; however I did help another poster on this forum send RTE sentences to his Raymarine MFD (I was just a sounding board he did the integration).
So if you can hook the NMEA output of the PC directly to the NMEA input on your C80 you should be able to make this work. However if you have other NMEA talkers (e.g., AIS receiver, NMEA GPS, etc.) you will likely need another device such as an NMEA multiplexer to integrate everything. Since you will be sending RTE sentences to the C80 infrequently and only for short periods of time, that device could be as simple as a SPDT electrical switch to transfer the C80 NMEA input between the PC and the other talker.

John
Old 15-05-2013, 15:28   #4

That sound like it should work... The idea is that i will put in a nmea multiplexor ...probably a brookhouse imux to snable me to connect the ipad via wifi..

Tnx for the input.

Rgds Patrick
Old 15-05-2013, 17:20   #5

Patrick,
If you use a Brookhouse Mux, contact Wout on what you want to do. He will likely make some recommendations on how to configure it.

John
Old 16-05-2013, 04:07   #6
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have a Raymarine C80 classic plotter and am trying to figure out a way to upload routes to it "over the wire". The idea is that one can prepare a route off line on a laptop using OpenCPN or an iPad using something like iNavX and then send it to the plotter and not needing the lapto or iPad during the actual passage.
Im operating from memory here, but I dont think RTE provides a mechanism to build planned in advance routes that then can be 'uploaded' to teh C80.

RTE essentially provides list of waypoints making up an active route, it is commonly used to send them to autopilots,

Furthermore Raymarine equiopment can build route names that are not compatible with NMEA naming conventions, ie they can be longer etc, this works over seatalk but not NEMA ( well its gets truncated)

NOTE that when you stop sending RTEs, I beleive the C80 will not then display a route

I dont beleive it can be used to upload permanent pre-planeed routes into the C80, thats has to be done via the card if I remember correctly.

dave
Old 16-05-2013, 07:07   #7

"I don't believe it can be used to upload permanent pre-planeed routes into the C80, that has to be done via the card if I remember correctly."

That was my belief as well. I wrote a program to convert a CSV or XML file to the Excel worksheet format used by the Waypoint Transfer Utility provided by Raymarine that converted the Excel worksheet to the FSH file format used by the C-series on the CF cards. Really cumbersome, and then I still had to build the route on the MFD using the waypoints transferred via the CF card.

However, as I posted above I worked with another user on the RTE transfer between a PC and a C-series MFD and he said he got it working.

Again, I haven't done it myself so the OP should probably post this question of the Raymarine Forum for a definitive answer.

John
Old 20-05-2013, 14:20   #8

Hi John,

Tnx for the info, I did some digging around the raymarine forum as well and it looks like i will be able to get things to work after all. I will be taking your advice and get in touch with imux.

Regards

Patrick
Old 26-05-2013, 08:17   #9

What about using "Raymarine RayTech Navigator"
Old 27-05-2013, 04:03   #10

That would only be a partial solution to what I am looking for:

It would give me the ability to plan off line but as far as I know it does not do "over the wire" uploads of routes. Since the C80 is a seatalk based plotter it cannot access the chart card. One would need to remove the chart card from the plotter and plug it into a "special" raymarine card reader. This would make the charts available to RayTech Navigator and enable raytech navigator to save the routes/waypoints on the card.

This has a number of disadvantages:
1) the plotter is disabled when using Raytech Navigator
2) the card becomes a single point of failure. If the card/plotter dies I have no backup.
3) My c80 is helm mounted so the need to open the card slot when at sea is a bit risky. Murphy's law et al...

I currently have iNavX on an iPad and OpenCPN on a laptop both of these can easily function as a backup plotter and can direct control of the autopilot if need be. Both are also excellent for "off line" planning.

The ability to transfer routes over the wire from OpenCPN or iNavX will allow me to work with my preferred plotter i.e. the C80 most of the time while having the same data on the backup device(s) in case of need, as well as being able to upload route alterations while the c80 is in use.
Old 27-05-2013, 07:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgenovese View Post
It would give me the ability to plan off line but as far as I know it does not do "over the wire" uploads of routes.
For what I know I agree
Quote:
Since the C80 is a seatalk based plotter it cannot access the chart card.
???

Quote:
One would need to remove the chart card from the plotter and plug it into a "special" raymarine card reader.
First do not use a chart card to store data, there is good chance that you will corrupt that card. You should use the card that you use to save Tracks, Routes and Waypoints or anything similar as “Transfer” card. By the way if yours C80 is up graded to the latest version, the card reader in the C80 will be able to use Micro-SD card. For this you require the Ray A62311 Micro-SD to CF card adaptor.

Quote:
This would make the charts available to RayTech Navigator and enable raytech navigator to save the routes/waypoints on the card.
First you need to load all the Waypoints and Routes into the Navigator using a transfer card. The Navigator need to knows what “variables” (waypoints) are in use in your C80 otherwise it will make a mess of the existing variables by clearing them or by renaming them. I doubt that in the recent versions Ray has fixed that problem.
Secondly you will remove yours Transfer card and replace it with the Chart card. As you write for the chart card to work you will need the Ray E86026 Navionics multi card reader or something similar. By the way the planner used to be free to download and it is possible to purchase the CD of it for $30 E112113. To be checked.
Quote:
This has a number of disadvantages:
1) the plotter is disabled when using Raytech Navigator

Not really. If you have only one chart card and that card is used in the Navigator then the plotter will revert to that rough world map but the plotter will still be operational.
Quote:
2) the card becomes a single point of failure. If the card/plotter dies I have no backup.

If properly cared for the card as no reason to die but of course anything can fail it is why some sailors have backup of nearly everything and you have (iNavX on an iPad and OpenCPN)
Quote:
3) My c80 is helm mounted so the need to open the card slot when at sea is a bit risky. Murphy's law et al...
I know the feeling and make sure that the card door lock shut, some model had faulty latch that required a Q-tip to keep the door locked.

Quote:
The ability to transfer routes over the wire from OpenCPN or iNavX will allow me to work with my preferred plotter i.e. the C80 most of the time while having the same data on the backup device(s) in case of need, as well as being able to upload route alterations while the c80 is in use.
Good luck but remember that the Classic Series do not like conflicting information’s and have a tendency to reboot every few minutes if upset, problem that normally require a “Manufacturer” reboot to clear.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
For this you require the Ray A62311 Micro-SD to CF card adaptor.
To be noted: Navionics carthography Micro SD card suitable for new c series MFD’s (c95..) will not work with classic (C70…) and A (A50…) series MFD’s

Of interest. Voyage Planner building a route is extremely difficult and slow without chart quilting - Raymarine Technical Forum

Quote:
“It is disappointing that Ratech RNS will no longer be supported and will not work in Windows 8. It is excellent software for planning and navigating if needed.”

Also.
Raytech RNS 6.2 can't read Navionics Platinum CF card - Raymarine Technical Forum

Quote:
“verify that you are using Navionics cartography which has been stored on CF memory by Navionics. RayTech software is not compatible with Navionics cartography stored on other types of memory cards and is not compatible with the A62311 Raymarine Cartography Adapter”
Future of Raytech - Raymarine Technical Forum
Old 22-06-2013, 10:45   #13

According to Raymarine you can use Navionics charts on MicroSD media with the classic C-series MFDs using the MicroSD to CF adapter sold by Raymarine:

"After being updated with C-Series Classic MFD v5.16 software, the C-Series Classic MFDs can use the Raymarine Cartography Adapter to view Navionics cartography and to save/retrieve waypoint/route/track data to/from a microSD memory card. It is not possible to update a C-Series Classic MFD's software the Raymarine Cartography Adapter. Instead, a compatible CF memory card must be used to update the MFD's software."

I have not verified all of the above statements from the Raymarine forum. I have used the adapter to save and load waypoints and routes to and from a MicroSD card, but I have not purchased a Navionics chart set on the MicroSD and test it with my C120.

John
Old 22-06-2013, 11:01   #14

"Good luck but remember that the Classic Series do not like conflicting information’s and have a tendency to reboot every few minutes if upset, problem that normally require a “Manufacturer” reboot to clear. "

I think this was primarily a problem with the E-series, not the C-series. Raymarine makes reference to this problem in the description of the latest software update, but no reference in the C-series software update. I've been using a C120 for over 10 years and have never experienced this problem.

John

Tags
raymarine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: