Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2007, 11:26   #1

Integrated Sailing instruments display?

I'm getting back into owning a sailboat to cruise in and am looking for an integrated sailing instrument display head to mount at the helm.

The last decent size sailboat I owned, was fitted out with a unit called "Combi" something or other. Is was a single display head that simultaneously showed: apparent wind angle & speed, boat speed, depth, and so on on a single head in a single casing about 14" long by 7" tall or so.

Don't remember the name of the manufacturer, but it wasn't any of the big names like B&G, Simrad, Ray marine etc.

Todate, I haven't found anything quite like that available in the current market. It seems all that I have looked at so far have multiple display heads or when 1 or 2 parameters are lumped together, you have not only smaller displays (read as harder to see in a glance) but sometimes require turning a switch to see the other data.

I'm fairly well aware of the current GPS chart plotters that can be overlaid with radar, sonar, etc. and I intend to have a separate one for those nav related functions.

Does anyone out there know of any integrated, large size, sailing data displays in a single head as opposed to multiple data displays hung together?

I went through all the arguments for and against an integrated display head when I bought and installed the COMBI in the mid 80's. I'm well experienced at sea & it's demanding requirements.

By the way, the system never failed - ever.

Ken

Like a moth to a flame, I am drawn to the sea.
kenackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 11:53   #2

check out Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog for ideas about this.

Many MFDs can display "instrument" panels if they receive all the inputs. You van set up soft keys to switch from an instrument panel display to a radar or plotter.

I think raymarine C or E series which come in several sized might do what you want. Garmin new 5000 will too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 22:16   #3

Thanks,

I'll have a look at the web site and those products.

Ken

Like a moth to a flame, I am drawn to the sea.
kenackr is offline   Reply With Quote