Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 08:36   #1

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25
instruments Go out on Ignition

Every time I start my engine my instruments go offline and reboot (GPS, Radios).
I have tested this with the battery switch in all 3 positions with the same results.
Any Ideas?
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:53   #2

Re: instruments Go out on Ignition

It's the voltage spike or dip from the starter draw or alternator high voltage startup. Pretty common. One solution would be to have instruments on a battery that is not on line when you start up.
Apparently, your instrument buss is on line to any battery you are switched to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:36   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Agreed. A. Batteries are not fully charged or are dying. B. Starter cable is dirty and drawing more current.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You can also try adding a capacitor and diode to the power leads for the electronics. Sounds like you supply voltage drops out when you are cranking.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:03   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

A lot of automotive ignition switches shut off all other power in the START position. I had to put a diode in on my Volvo switch to keep the engine battery solenoid engaged while starting.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What they said. But also, an engine starter can throw 600-2000 volt spikes as it disengages, and those spikes can blow electronics very easily. You might want to consider throwing the breaker and turning off the electronics (or switching them to a battery that is not involved in starting) in order to protect them from that. Unless you have some spike protection installed in the instrument circuits.

Yes, in theory the battery swamps out those spikes. In practice, several component makers say that's just not good enough and one top LED maker will not warranty their automotive products if they are allowed to see starter spikes, i.e. unprotected by anything except the battery.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfesmy View Post
Every time I start my engine my instruments go offline and reboot (GPS, Radios).

I have tested this with the battery switch in all 3 positions with the same results.

Any Ideas?

Yes, this almost always happens when electronics are powered from the same battery as the engine start. Simplest solution is to have a separate deep cycle house battery bank and a device called and "automatic charge relay" that will charge the engine battery anytime the charge source is on. Connect all charge sources to the house bank and then it will all work automatically. When cranking the engine the start battery will not lower the house bank voltage and the electronics should be happy.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Start with the easy stuff. Check and clean all electrical connections. Check both the supply and return wires for corrosion. Verify that the wires are correct size.

Yes it is a voltage drop problem. But if the batteries can start the engine you really shouldn't be dropping the voltage down so far when doing so that the instruments drop out.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:30   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Have you checked to see if the Battery select switch is wired correctly? Another question might be...is this a recent occurrence?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum