Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 11:30   #1

Instruments at the Helm

I'm looking at replacing a B&G Hydra 2000 system and it has four "reporters" at the helm. They are all 4.5" square more or less which matches up well with Maretrons DSM410 or B&G's Triton 2 FFD's so I'll be doing minimal damage to the Helmstation with the install.

At roughly $500 each that's a pretty big investment, and I really don't need an FFD able to display any NEMA 2000 bit of info. Are there NEMA 2000 displays that are less expensive and specific to Depth, Wind Speed, Wind Dir, and Speed over Water? I've looked quite a bit and haven't found them.

Thanks,
Duane
Old 14-03-2018, 12:48   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Instruments at the Helm

I have not run into anything of that nature for n2k. I think the bill of materials cost to build a display is not much different if you make it a single purpose display, like just displaying a 3 digit depth, or if you make it a multipurpose display, so the manufacturers are loosing interest in the single purpose displays excepting some pricey units with high vis displays for race boats. I've been watching eBay but it is rare to see a new n2K display go by for much less than $350.

Since the new 4.5" multipurpose displays do have nice functionality you might look and find you can display the info you want in a format you like using less than 4 displays and just put a blank bezel over one (or 2) hole(s) - not the most elegant solution but a reasonable way to reduce cost.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 14:43   #3

Boat: C&C38-3 WK
Re: Instruments at the Helm

On eBay, 9 refurbished B&G Triton (1st generation) at 275 $US each. Go for it.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, men, rum