Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Inexpensive High Water Alarm (and boat alarm)

Wanted to share a product and install I did.

We own a catamaran. Each hull has 3 water-tight compartments. One for the transom and engine room, one in the middle, and one at the bow.

Ideally, we install 6 automatic bilge pumps in our boat. Not wanting to put 4 more holes in the boat however, I did want to install a water alarm in the 2 front bilges, and the 2 engine rooms so if we had any water I would know about. The two bigger bilge areas in the midsections have auto bilge pumps.

I looked at all the normal "marine" systems, like water witch, etc. All very nice, but expensive for 4 alarms, and also a pain to install. Wires to 4 corners of the boat, and an alarm somewhere to notify me. Ideally something with 4-zones so I know which bilge has the water when the alarm goes off.

To make a long story short, found this product:

GE Choice Alert - Jasco Products Company

It is a "home" alarm system. A central monitoring unit, and then various "sensors" you can install, one of which being a water alarm.

I have only installed water alarms, but it could easily be expanded to include a motion sensor, door/hatch sensors, etc. And can install an external speaker I believe, a remote key FOB, and a panic button.

Pretty cheap solution, very easy to install. Only the central unit needs DC power, and it runs on 12V. The sensors are all wireless with batteries that last about 2 years. It alerts when the batteries are low.

Product can be found about 40% cheaper at Wal-mart, and eBay. No need to purchase direct. I purchased the control unit by itself, and then the water sensors separately.

I have no affiliation with GE, just think its a cheap and decent product for an otherwise expensive solution.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Re: Inexpensive High Water Alarm (and boat alarm)

Good idea but not practical since it requires a battery in each sensor. Murphy will be sure to flood your boat only after the sensor battery is dead. Any way to connect into the ship’s power?
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Re: Inexpensive High Water Alarm (and boat alarm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Good idea but not practical since it requires a battery in each sensor. Murphy will be sure to flood your boat only after the sensor battery is dead. Any way to connect into the ship’s power?
Wiring them each defeats the goal of a trivial install. If you want to connect each sensor to 12V, buy something like Water Witch and wire it all up.

The control until will alert you to any low batteries in any of the sensors that are connected to it. So, you will know when the battery is low, no big deal to me. Carry a few spare on board, cost about $.95 for the watch type battery the water sensors use.

Tags
alarm, water