Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 09:04   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
icom mx5000 AIS with raymarine C80 MFD

hi. i usually like to keep things simple but with the joy of the new boat i got into electronics little bit. i have a raymarine c80 display. purchased a evermore sa320 gps antenna and a icom AIS.
the AIS has a built in vhf antenna splitter. i am little confuse how to hook up the whole system in an integrated fashion.
-i believe an antenna splitter needs to be purchased and connected to share the existing vhf antenna between the AIS and VHF radio
- bare wires comes from tHE gps needed to be connected to the icom AIS
- NMEA 0183 cable from the C80 display needs to be connected to the AIS
thats what i figured out from what i ve been looking. now if we follow this, are we gonna have gps an AIS on the chartplotter? do we need 2 separate gps antenna for the display and the AIS unit. C80 only has 1 NMEA port, would there be a need to employ multiplexer? thanks

littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:30   #2

Boat: F&C 44
Re: icom mx5000 AIS with raymarine C80 MFD

First a couple of things need clarification. You said the Icom AIS has a built in VHF splitter so why do you think you need to buy a splitter? What model Icom AIS did you buy? The Icom AIS may have a NMEA 183 multiplexer function so it possible you don't need to buy one. The AIS unit and the c80 will need to be set for a 38400 baud rate, much faster than the standard NMEA 183 of 4800. The function of the multiplexer is to convert other 183 signals to/from the higher baud, as I said that function might be built into the Icom AIS.
AIS units usually come with their own dedicated GPS antennas, you shouldn't need to buy one for the AIS but you will need one for the c80. In either case be aware that the sa320 uses +5 volts so you will need 12 volt to 5 volt converter, I dont think the sa320 is a good choice except for maybe a laptop where you can use the USB port.
A better solution for connecting a GPS to the c80 is to use the SeaTalk port. You will need a Raymarine GPS with SeaTalk or a 183 GPS and a 183 to SeaTalk converter. But there is another problem, the Raymarine GPS with the old SeaTalk is obsolete and no longer available as is the c80 and the SeaTalk to 183 converter, check on eBay you might find it there. You could also use the newer Raymarine GPS with SeaTalkNG (NMEA2000) but you will then need a SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk converter, $$ will start to add up so eBay for the older stuff might be a better choice. BTW radar for the c80 is also obsolete so back to eBay if you need that.

Hope this helps.

Steve

SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:52   #3

OK, I see you got the Icom MX5000 AIS receiver, I missed that.

You do need a separate GPS antenna, surprised it does not come with one, but you do not need a VHF splitter. If you do use the sa320 GPS remember you also need a 12v to 5v converter to power the sa320. If you have other instruments using the 183 port on the c80 then you do need a 183 multiplexer or the 183 to SeaTalk converter. The c80 NMEA port will only be able to handle the 38400 baud of the AIS receiver.

Steve
Old 21-12-2016, 11:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
First a couple of things need clarification. You said the Icom AIS has a built in VHF splitter so why do you think you need to buy a splitter? What model Icom AIS did you buy? The Icom AIS may have a NMEA 183 multiplexer function so it possible you don't need to buy one. The AIS unit and the c80 will need to be set for a 38400 baud rate, much faster than the standard NMEA 183 of 4800. The function of the multiplexer is to convert other 183 signals to/from the higher baud, as I said that function might be built into the Icom AIS.
AIS units usually come with their own dedicated GPS antennas, you shouldn't need to buy one for the AIS but you will need one for the c80. In either case be aware that the sa320 uses +5 volts so you will need 12 volt to 5 volt converter, I dont think the sa320 is a good choice except for maybe a laptop where you can use the USB port.
A better solution for connecting a GPS to the c80 is to use the SeaTalk port. You will need a Raymarine GPS with SeaTalk or a 183 GPS and a 183 to SeaTalk converter. But there is another problem, the Raymarine GPS with the old SeaTalk is obsolete and no longer available as is the c80 and the SeaTalk to 183 converter, check on eBay you might find it there. You could also use the newer Raymarine GPS with SeaTalkNG (NMEA2000) but you will then need a SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk converter, $$ will start to add up so eBay for the older stuff might be a better choice. BTW radar for the c80 is also obsolete so back to eBay if you need that.

Hope this helps.

Steve
hi. the model is icom mx-5000 there is a pdf user manual which can be googled( i ve read many times but still not confident about the install) . what i meant by splitter is that little metal piece that would enable me to install the AIS unit between the VHF radio and the VHF antenna. PL256 from radio to AIS and using the little gadget(maybe called T connector i am not sure) the coax cable will be run to the VHF antenna. All that stuff for this, i am about to forget the AIS. the raymarine gps was expensive option i see this sa 320 a popular device in Europe. never heard the 12v to 5v convert before but i ll look into it thanks. my gps also has RS 232 interface im not sure if thats helps.
Old 21-12-2016, 11:14   #5

Quote:
OK, I see you got the Icom MX5000 AIS receiver, I missed that.

You do need a separate GPS antenna, surprised it does not come with one, but you do not need a VHF splitter. If you do use the sa320 GPS remember you also need a 12v to 5v converter to power the sa320. If you have other instruments using the 183 port on the c80 then you do need a 183 multiplexer or the 183 to SeaTalk converter. The c80 NMEA port will only be able to handle the 38400 baud of the AIS receiver.

Steve
and i missed yours before i ve replied. the gps says 4800 baud on his package would that be a problem? protocols: NMEA 0183 V.2.20.
IT also listed as power supply (VDC 9V-34V) IS that mean we dont need converter? i was thinking the display can recieve the gps data from the AIS input. back to the ebay. i am not sure if i really want teh AIS anymore.
Old 21-12-2016, 11:53   #6

The SA-320 manual I saw online specifies 5VDC as the power supply voltage, I saw no mention of 9-34VDC so you will need a 12V-5V converter. I suspect these units are normally used with the USB port on a PC, USB supplies the 5V so in that case no converter is required. I didn't see a spec on the current but I doubt it is over 1 amp. The AIS unit will work directly from 12VDC.
The MX5000 AIS will take the 4800 baud GPS input on the data in terminals and convert that to 38400 on the navigation out terminals for the c80, but it will not mix in 183 data from other instruments.
Using AIS with the c80 has been a problem since the c80 was designed before AIS was available. Check the c80 software version, I believe 4.26 is the latest, you might be able to download it from the Raymarine website, you will also need a small capacity compact flash card, which are getting hard to find, to load it into the c80.

Steve
Old 24-12-2016, 05:12   #7

Quote:
The SA-320 manual I saw online specifies 5VDC as the power supply voltage, I saw no mention of 9-34VDC so you will need a 12V-5V converter. I suspect these units are normally used with the USB port on a PC, USB supplies the 5V so in that case no converter is required. I didn't see a spec on the current but I doubt it is over 1 amp. The AIS unit will work directly from 12VDC.
The MX5000 AIS will take the 4800 baud GPS input on the data in terminals and convert that to 38400 on the navigation out terminals for the c80, but it will not mix in 183 data from other instruments.
Using AIS with the c80 has been a problem since the c80 was designed before AIS was available. Check the c80 software version, I believe 4.26 is the latest, you might be able to download it from the Raymarine website, you will also need a small capacity compact flash card, which are getting hard to find, to load it into the c80.

Steve
Hi. Interesting you have mentioned the radar. scanning the local craigslist, i was close to get one for about 250 dollars. power consumption got me worried.
do you know if icom mx5000 has multiplexer built-in? i have a dsm300 hooked up to the c80, navionics installed and i think i am ok if i can just get gps input. the AIS is receiver only unit anyway, i can survive without it. i need to get a NMEA 0183 cable for the unit and even finding it proved to be a tough test. on ebay, the rate is towards an hundred dollar for a few feet of cable. now i am thinking i should have bought raymarine gps, seastar 130 but what i am understanding is that even than wouldn't be a plug and play installation. buying one of those new VHF with built-in gps and AIS makes sense now.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:10   #8

I had a similar setup with an MX5000 and C90 and it worked well, although I have now upgraded the C90.

The MX5000 has an antenna splitter so you just need to take your existing (?) vhf antenna to the MX5000 and a cable to link the MX5000 to your VHF.

The MX5000 is receive only so doesn't need GPS, but it will multiplex NMEA0183 input to the output. So connect your GPS to the MX5000 data in connector, and the data out connector to the C80. You then need to make sure the C80 is set to receive NMEA0183 data at 38400.

Good luck
seasicksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasicksteve View Post
I had a similar setup with an MX5000 and C90 and it worked well, although I have now upgraded the C90.

The MX5000 has an antenna splitter so you just need to take your existing (?) vhf antenna to the MX5000 and a cable to link the MX5000 to your VHF.

The MX5000 is receive only so doesn't need GPS, but it will multiplex NMEA0183 input to the output. So connect your GPS to the MX5000 data in connector, and the data out connector to the C80. You then need to make sure the C80 is set to receive NMEA0183 data at 38400.

Good luck
HI Steve, my NMEA cable ust arrived yesterday. I have to fiddle around with few things and give another shot to the AIS. Your description sounds pretty doable but i may hit you with a question or two in case i have a problem figuring out which goes where. Thanks.

Tags
ais, icom, marine, raymarine