Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-08-2015, 13:33   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
ICOM M91D vs SH HX870E

I am sick of my SH HX851 handheld with its crap battery life, awkward controls, clunky bulk, and lately, poor signal.

I was all ready to order an Icom M92D when I discovered that you can't get an AA battery tray for it. This makes it practically unsuitable for the liferaft, where the DSC is a key feature. Too bad -- I've had quite a lot of different Icom radios and loved them all -- thought maybe I would finally have a handheld VHF which was pleasing. Alas, not to be.

So I had another look at SH -- and the new HX870 looks greatly improved. Once burned by SH, I hesitate to go right back in, but maybe it really is much improved? It even comes with the battery tray.

Has anyone used one? Is the battery life acceptable? Anyone gone from the HX850 or 851 to this and can describe the differences?

Kind of off topic, but the nicest VHF handheld I ever had was, of all things, a Cobra 325HH. It was dirt cheap, but it was just a lovely radio with excellent controls, quality feel, excellent sound and signal quality. Unfortunately stolen from my dinghy years ago.
Old 28-08-2015, 03:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: ICOM M91D vs SH HX870E

No one?

My reading about the HX870 is encouraging. But more importantly -- I really don't have a choice, since the alkaline battery tray is essential to my use (ditch bag).

So I will buy one of these when I'm in the States next month. Little risk since they only cost $210.
Old 28-08-2015, 04:35   #3

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: ICOM M91D vs SH HX870E

I wouldn't have anything else but sh I have been through the icom models. And have found the sh the best , one thing I learnt first of was not let the battery get below on the first 2 recharges of 10% then you find they charge up well and hold charge well and another feature I have found is the range they can transmit to give an example had friend in Kas Turkey and me in Symi Greece I could talk and call him up 120 nm away

Tags
icom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: