Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 13:16   #1

ICOM M502 and remote mic HM-127 problem

Hi all!

We currently have, as listed above, an Icom IC-M502 on the "good old boat" we purchased a couple of years back. Since we got the boat the hand mic was a problem. All of the functions of the transceiver mounted down at the nav station seemed to work fine.

I replaced the hand mic because it was cutting in and out and traced it to some bad connections in the coil cable between the navpod and the mic itself. However, the volume is extremely low with a lot of what I can only describe as "interference"(I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology- sounds a bit like a 60 cycle hum but not quite).

I thought that maybe the cable between the transceiver and mic was shot and since the new one came with a new cable I tried that. No change. Very low audio both receiving and transmitting. Tested with a friend to his handheld and he could barely hear me.

Thoughts? What else could I troubleshoot? Is it possibly the connector at the back of the transceiver? If so, is that repairable?

The admiral is pretty annoyed with me after spending the $$ on the new hand mic and still having problems.
jmcaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 13:42   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: ICOM M502 and remote mic HM-127 problem

Dumb response, but have you set the remote's volume and squelch? They are independent of the main unit.
Old 27-08-2015, 14:29   #3

Thanks Paul, not dumb at all. Yes, I have played with both.

Oh, and I thought that perhaps since that cable runs through the engine compartment it might be interference from the alternator or some such issue, so I've tried with and without engine running. No change.
jmcaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 22:29   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Can you try the remote on someone else's 502 or 504
Old 28-08-2015, 07:26   #5

Boat: islandpacket

Can you disconnect the extension cord and just connect the mike to the radio. I had trouble with my extension cord and delamination of the mike cord. After I paid for the repair I found that Icom had a recall on some cords. You may want to check.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-08-2015, 11:00   #6

Boat: Liberty 458 46' sail

You might actually be having interference from adjacent cables. Bad Santa's suggestion is a place to start. If that shows the mic is good then suspect the cable.

Try turning off EVERYTING on the boat including the AC (disconnect the cord) See if any of that affects the problem.

Wires running parallel can receive noise from adjacent cables.

Any chance the VHF antenna cable is in the same bundle as the mic.
svseawitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, remote