Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 19:34   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
John,

Well done! Your tips are exactly right. They should be more like commandments than tips.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

This incredibly useful resource has now been made a sticky.

Thanks again, John!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I agree, thanks John!
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 05:36   #19

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

John - You have done fantastic work here! - Thank you. I am certainly and SSB "rookie" with a grat desire to learn. I am troubled by a problem I have and don't know how to troubleshoot it if you'd be willing to advise?

My ICOM 802 is showing "THRU" consistently on the screen vice "TUNE." I have an AT-140 auto-tuner and a 35" backstay antenna set up. Can you advise mo on how to troubleshoot this and get back in the "TUNE" range?

Steve
sv TAKE ME THERE! WDG-6841
Gulfstar M53 Ketch
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 14:08   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Steve,
Sorry I missed this post....I don't check this "sticky" often....(next time, please start a new thread with any tech questions/troubleshooting issues, and someone is sure to help you out quickly...)

As for the specifics....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
troubled by a problem I have and don't know how to troubleshoot it if you'd be willing to advise?

My ICOM 802 is showing "THRU" consistently on the screen vice "TUNE." I have an AT-140 auto-tuner and a 35" backstay antenna set up. Can you advise mo on how to troubleshoot this and get back in the "TUNE" range?
Steve, it sounds like the M-802 is not configured for the AT-140; or AT-140 is not connected and/or the connection has failed; or (fairly unlikely) the AT-140 has failed....
Steve, you didn't say if this is a new problem, or has it always been this way??? (assuming it is a NEW problem)
Nor did you say whether or not you are receiving anything on the M-802??
(assuming you ARE receiving something, but cannot transmit much due to lack of AT-140 functionality)
So, I'll need to go over things one-step-at-a-time....

1) The M-802 display should flash "TUNE" (along the top line of the display, just to the left-of-center of the display) when you press the TUNE button (top button, just to the right of the display)....
If the M-802 display is showing "THRU" at this location, when you press the TUNE button, then the AT-140 is not getting the tune signal / the M-802 is not configured for the AT-140; or the AT-140 is not connected / not connected correctly....(or that the AT-140 has failed)

2) First we need to verify that the M-802 is configured for the AT-140 (and at the same time we'll make sure you're set for "auto-tune" as well...)
a) Enter "Initial Set Mode"....(see page 49 of the M-802 manual)
Quote:
DEntering set mode
---Turn the power OFF, if the transceiver is powered
ON.
---While pushing [MODE SET], push [POWER] to turn

the power ON to enter initial set mode.
b) Use Group knob to select "Icom Tuner"

c) Use Channel knob to select "AT-140"

d) Use Group knob to select "Auto Tune"

e) Use channel knob to select "On"

The turn M-802 Off and then turn it back On....

3) Next, do the test above again....
Press TUNE button and verify what the M-802 display shows....
a) If it flashes "TUNE" and then shows "TUNE" after it has completed tuning, you are all done, and everything is now working....

b) If the display still shows "THRU", then the wiring / connectors from the M-802 to the AT-140 may have failed, chafed, broken, come un-done", etc..

c) Please physically check the auto-tuner connector on the rear panel of the M-802's Main unit, this is a small rectangular white connector on the left side of the Main Unit's rear panel, just to the left of the ground screw, and just to the left and slightly above the Main Antenna connector.....
This connector should have 4 wires on it, and should be mated completely into the matching connector on the radio....(to remove, it pulls straight out....and to re-attach, it pushes straight in...)
Check / be sure this connector is completely seated/attached....and that all 4 wires are well attached to the captive pins of the connector....(this is the only part of the M-802 that is fragile and I don't like it at all....but, it is what it is...)

If these connections prove to be good....then try the test again, press the TUNE button and verify what the M-802's display shows.....if it flashes "TUNE" while tuning and then shows "TUNE" afterward, you're done, and all is working well....
If it still shows "THRU". proceed to next step...

d) The AT-140 has two short "pig-tails" of wire coming out if it....one is the coaxial cable, and one is the tuner power and control wires....
The plugs that connects the tuner power and control wires may be a problem here...
Physically inspect these plugs, just like you did with the tuner control plug on the rear of the M-802 itself....verify that they are mated completely and that all 4 wires are seated in their captive pins correctly....(also verify that there is no corrosion on these connections.....shouldn't be any if proper installation procedures were followed, but 'ya never know...)

If these connections prove to be good....then try the test again, press the TUNE button and verify what the M-802's display shows.....if it flashes "TUNE" while tuning and then shows "TUNE" afterward, you're done, and all is working well....
If the display still shows "THRU", then proceed to the next step...

e) As I wrote above, you didn't say whether or not you are receiving anything on the M-802??
(assuming you ARE receiving something, but cannot transmit much due to lack of AT-140 functionality)
Assuming you ARE receiving okay, we can assume the coaxial cable and its connections are okay...but they might just be okay enough to allow some reception, but fail upon application of transmit RF power....
So, please inspect the coaxial cable and both connections, to verify it is in good order....

f) It is possible (although unlikely) that your AT-140 itself has failed....but if you have a volt meter, you can check to see if you are actually getting proper voltage from the M-802's tuner connector, and then also check at the AT-140 end of the tuner power / control cable...
PLEASE ONLY attempt to measure these voltages, if you know exactly what you are doing....as you may short-out some of these wires and blow an internal fuse (inside the M-802)....
And, if you do NOT have any voltage on Pins 3 and 4, this is probably what has happened...

Looking at the rear, from left to right....pins 1, 2, 3 and 4....
Pin 1 = Key signal = +0.5vdc to +0.8vdc DURING TUNING ONLY
Pin 2 = Start / Thru signal output
Pin 3 = +13.6vdc
Pin 4 = Negative / Ground

If you do have proper voltages on Pins 3 and 4 (13.6vdc, or whatever your present battery voltage is), then when you press the TUNE button, with your meter on Pin 1 and 4, you should see the .5 to .8vdc signal....

If these voltages are good...connect the plugs back up, and then try the test again, press the TUNE button and verify what the M-802's display shows.....if it flashes "TUNE" while tuning and then shows "TUNE" afterward, you're done, and all is working well....

{If the voltages are NOT there, especially the 13.6vdc on across Pins 3 and 4, then I suspect a blown internal fuse in the M-802....
And, here you should also proceed to the next step...}

g) The next step is to call Icom Service and tell them all that you have done, including any voltage checks, etc....
You've likely got either a blown internal fuse (step "f" above) or a defective / faulty AT-140....
In either case, Icom service will be able to help you out....

Note, you CAN change the fuse yourself IF you know what you're doing....and if you find you need to send your AT-140 into Icom for repair, the closest Icom service center is in Tallahassee....

Icom Service Center - Florida
5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Phone: (800) 649-5783
Fax: (850) 575-0346

Icom America, Inc.
Service Department
12421 Willows Road NE
Kirkland, WA 98034
Phone: (800) 306-1380

I hope this helps...
Sorry the answer is so long....but I didn't have much info from you to work with, so I had go through everything step-by-step....

fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 15:10   #21

John, these videos are outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to do these. I've forwarded a link to some of my Coast Guard and GMDSS colleagues.

Well done!!

(one minor quibble - the emergency DSC and voice frequencies are have been named distress & safety by ITU, not distress and signalling)

JoeHersey
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:24   #22

Boat: Reinke 13 M Ice (45 ft aluminium sloop)
Send a message via Skype™ to SY-Breakpoint

Hello John!
Great job You did with this. Helped me with my preparations doing the North-West-Passage in 2016.
However I got the ICOM M801e version of this radio. Unfortunately this radio of hight quality is no longer supported in Europe. Had to purchase in Australia where they import it from Hong Kong.
Thank´s again for this exquisit tutorial.

73, Tom, VP8DJW/mm
always safe sailing
SY-Breakpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 13:53   #23

Joe, Tom, et al,
You are all very welcome!!
(and sorry if I duplicated or repeated some things, in a couple of the videos, but I was not working with any outline nor script....I was just "winging it", all extemporaneously.)

~~~~~

As for the minor quibble....No worries at all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
] (one minor quibble - the emergency DSC and voice frequencies are have been named distress & safety by ITU, not distress and signalling)
But, just for clarification, these videos were not, and are not, intended to be a study-guide for a GMDSS license/course, but rather are designed for the average sailor/cruiser (who probably has little knowledge of exact nomenclature, etc.)
And, in addition to the basic goal of my project, instructing M-802 owners/users how-to effectively use their radios, reducing confusion is/was a primary consideration of mine here...

So, in that vein, please understand:
The singularly most important reason I use the words "distress" and "signaling" is:
That is what most (all??) cruisers/sailors with M-802's are going to be doing with these GMDSS DSC and Voice frequencies.....
Either declaring a "Distress" (aka Mayday), or "signaling" ("calling") another vessel (or shore station) to coordinate something of importance, such as position / navigational assistance, weather information, medical advice/assistance, other urgent/safety issues like fuel , water, or food assistance, etc......and/or providing two-way communications for coordinating any rescue and/or assistance after a DSC call has gone out....

And, just for further confusion / clarification.....the GMDSS (and ITU), since the 1990's at least, refers to these (DSC and Voice) frequencies as "Distress", "Urgency", and "Safety" frequencies in some parts of their rules, as well as Icom using these terms in their manuals...(which corresponds to the decades-old standards of "Mayday", "Pan Pan", or "Securite").....as well as further referring to them in other parts of the rules as "Distress", "Emergency" and "Safety" frequencies.....
It all depends on where you're looking.... (which of course further adds to the confusion...
As well as referring to them as "calling" frequencies...but then also encourages regular/routine use of them!! (typical for rules/papers written by multiple members of a committee..)

You can read some quotes of the ITU regs in other threads of mine that highlight the nomenclature further....
But again, the singularly most important reason I use the words "distress" and "signaling" is:
That is what most (all??) cruisers/sailors with M-802's are going to be doing with these GMDSS DSC and Voice frequencies.....
Either declaring a "Distress" (aka Mayday), or "signaling" ("calling") another vessel (or shore station) to coordinate something of importance, such as position / navigational assistance, weather information, medical advice/assistance, other urgent/safety issues like fuel , water, or food assistance, etc......and/or providing two-way communications for coordinating any rescue and/or assistance after a DSC call has gone out....

I hope this helps clarify things a bit....

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 14-02-2014, 14:25   #24

I'm thankful I stumbled across these amazing videos. For a beginner the owners manual is opaque and nearly useless. After hours of frustration I now can't wait to get to the boat to play with the transceiver.

Jim L
jyleamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 15:52   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

A point of clarification. A DSC distress , urgency ,safety, or routine call, refers to the DSC part of the process , these are then followed by mayday , pan pan , securite calls by voice as appropriate. One nomenclature is not a substitute for the other.

The use of the term " signalling " has no meaning under GMDSS, it's too ambiguous.
Dave
Old 22-02-2014, 08:18   #26

Boat: Irwin, 43MKIII, 43

John,

I just went through your videos. I am very impressed with what you have done and it should help cruisers understand how the radio works. I spend a lot of time working with folks here in Mexico helping people understand the M802.

I would like to add a link on my web site to your videos. Even though my books provide detailed instructions of how to operate the radio, the videos provide a giant step in the learning curve.

Send me a note if you could p-t_on_sunyside@live.com
Regards
TL Sparks
Made Simple for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Thanks for the compliments and again, you are all very welcome!!!

And yes, minaret, DeepFrz, and Andrew....I also think it should be a "sticky", but I have no control over that, perhaps one of you guys will recommend that to the moderators / sys admin???

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
TLSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:11   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments and again, you are all very welcome!!!

And yes, minaret, DeepFrz, and Andrew....I also think it should be a "sticky", but I have no control over that, perhaps one of you guys will recommend that to the moderators / sys admin???

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
For the avoidance of doubt, this thread was made a sticky months ago! Great stuff, John!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 14:36   #28

Terry,
Thanks for the compliments....
I posted the videos to Youtube and they are available for all to see....

But, I'm hesitant to have "links" to them on sites where someone is selling/marketing some "thing" or some "service", as this starts to imply that I'm endorsing those 'things" or "services"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSparks View Post
I would like to add a link on my web site to your videos. Even though my books provide detailed instructions of how to operate the radio, the videos provide a giant step in the learning curve.
Please understand it is nothing personal....it is simply that this is something I did for fun, for FREE....for every sailor/cruiser/voyager to use in order for them to better understand how to use their M-802 (and how to choose the correct channel/frequency, etc.).

In the videos, I make no mention of who/what to use, etc. except for some of my personal comments about products/services I have used for years and have had excellent results from....
And, I have NO interest in making any money from any of this...nor do I have any interest / desire for anyone else to make any money from my videos...

My videos stand on their own, as-is....
They are FREE and they are there for everyone to view as often as they like, and they can come here (or the SSCA discussion boards) and ask any questions/clarifications.....rather than going to a commercial site/vendor/service, etc. where 'advice" tends to be skewed by what that guy is selling/promoting, etc...
Here it is open, free, un-biased (or as un-biased as you can get , and everyone can openly query/comment...

You are certainly well within your rights to recommend my videos to any/all of your customers / friends you want....
And, if you wish to "endorse" them, that's great...
But, if it is okay with you, I'd rather you didn't link to them directly, but rather linked to THIS THREAD RIGHT HERE...

Use this link on your website...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-114734.html

Linking to THIS THREAD, gives everyone access to all the videos and comments, and allows them to ask any questions/clarifications they have....and this further points them to Cruiser's Forum itself....

I'm sorry if this doesn't meet your desires, but I think it best to keep these FREE "public service" instruction videos free from any commercial entanglements, endorsements, etc...

Again, I appreciate the compliments, but I think it best to simply recommend that your customers come here to this non-commercial thread...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 24-02-2014, 15:28   #29

Dave,
Yes, you are correct that nomenclature is important...and yes, "signaling" might not be part of the official GMDSS master plan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A point of clarification. A DSC distress , urgency ,safety, or routine call, refers to the DSC part of the process , these are then followed by mayday , pan pan , securite calls by voice as appropriate. One nomenclature is not a substitute for the other.

The use of the term " signalling " has no meaning under GMDSS, it's too ambiguous.
But, I hope you don't mind if I defend myself a little bit here...

1) These videos are NOT designed to be a study guide for a GMDSS certificate, but rather are just what I stated up front (and in the videos themselves), they are designed to assist non-technical sailors in the operations of their Icom M-802's....
That's it....

(oh, and they are FREE....and anyone can comment on 'em, for free....and I'll try to address anyones' comments/queries....)

2) And, you do know that on this side of the Atlantic, we ignorant Americans sometimes "invent" our own language / nomenclature...

3) And, finally I was just "winging it"....speaking extemporaneously....
I had NO script, nor outline....
So, sometimes the words spewing out of my mouth, might not have been precise enough for 'ya....

Dave, thanks again for helping....and please take note of my use of smiley faces ....

Fair winds,

John
s/v Annie Laurie

P.S. One of the only comprehensive GMDSS videos I've seen on-line is from 1992!!! (and they even have the old, now defunct, INMARSAT-E beacons)....
The video is okay, but in addition to those old beacons, it has some errors / oversights....
Old 24-02-2014, 15:49   #30

Boat: Irwin, 43MKIII, 43

No Problem John,

I spend a lot of time here in Mexico teaching most of what you have in your videos. Unfortunately I only reach about 100 boats a year and there are so many that need to find out how easy it is.

I guess I just could reference this thread as something I think people should visit.

One question. When I did a similar Distress test, I was in DSC Watch when I pushed the button and it went through all 6 frequencies.

Your example of the simple showed only one, the 8M. I never tried that so that was good info.

Have you tried it just going to DSC watch and pushing the button. I am in a packed marina now and do not want to try it here.

Again great job it should help a lot of folks.

Kind Regards
Terry

Quote:
Terry,
Thanks for the compliments....
I posted the videos to Youtube and they are available for all to see....

But, I'm hesitant to have "links" to them on sites where someone is selling/marketing some "thing" or some "service", as this starts to imply that I'm endorsing those 'things" or "services"... Please understand it is nothing personal....it is simply that this is something I did for fun, for FREE....for every sailor/cruiser/voyager to use in order for them to better understand how to use their M-802 (and how to choose the correct channel/frequency, etc.).

In the videos, I make no mention of who/what to use, etc. except for some of my personal comments about products/services I have used for years and have had excellent results from....
And, I have NO interest in making any money from any of this...nor do I have any interest / desire for anyone else to make any money from my videos...

My videos stand on their own, as-is....
They are FREE and they are there for everyone to view as often as they like, and they can come here (or the SSCA discussion boards) and ask any questions/clarifications.....rather than going to a commercial site/vendor/service, etc. where 'advice" tends to be skewed by what that guy is selling/promoting, etc...
Here it is open, free, un-biased (or as un-biased as you can get , and everyone can openly query/comment...

You are certainly well within your rights to recommend my videos to any/all of your customers / friends you want....
And, if you wish to "endorse" them, that's great...
But, if it is okay with you, I'd rather you didn't link to them directly, but rather linked to THIS THREAD RIGHT HERE...

Use this link on your website...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-114734.html

Linking to THIS THREAD, gives everyone access to all the videos and comments, and allows them to ask any questions/clarifications they have....and this further points them to Cruiser's Forum itself....

I'm sorry if this doesn't meet your desires, but I think it best to keep these FREE "public service" instruction videos free from any commercial entanglements, endorsements, etc...

Again, I appreciate the compliments, but I think it best to simply recommend that your customers come here to this non-commercial thread...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
TLSparks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, distress, cal, dsc