Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42   #1

Icom 802 Circuit Boards - Source ??

I have/had an Icom 802 HF, 4 years agoI had some repairs done in Fiji, after a nearby lightning strike burnt out the higher frequencies. It worked fine for 4 years but has now given up the ghost and died.
Icom Australia wanted more than the cost of a whole new unit to replace the circuit boards.
So I can see a couple of options.
1. Throw the lot away and pony up for a complete new unit. $$$$$
2. Ask the good folk on CF if they know of a source for replacement boards at a reasonable price.
3. Ask the good folk here on CF if they know of a source for the tranceiver box and guts only as the head unit and speaker are fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49   #2

Re: Icom 802 circuit boards..source??

Option 1 may be your best bet. I'm a service tech and have repaired many radio's including the M802 damaged by lightning. Many times the gear comes back for later repair work. Static electricity can degrade electronic components to the point that they still function but the MTBF (mean time between failure) has been signicantly reduced. I repaired an 802 last summer that was damaged by a direct lightning hit to the boats mast and Iv'e since repaired it two more times, both due to leaky electrolytic capacitors. Once a tech repairs the radio and it has passed all the standard bench checks, there's not much else he can do to identify components that are near failure.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:17   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I agree with Eric, I am surprised that you got the 4 years out of it after the first repair, consider that you have had 2 or 3 years "free".
BTW, I assume you know that the M802 is not type approved in Aus; I understand that this may not worry you, just letting you know in case you weren't aware. The M801E is the Aussie variant.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I agree with Eric, I am surprised that you got the 4 years out of it after the first repair, consider that you have had 2 or 3 years "free".
BTW, I assume you know that the M802 is not type approved in Aus; I understand that this may not worry you, just letting you know in case you weren't aware. The M801E is the Aussie variant.
Yes the type approval is only necessary for commercial vessels in survey, as far as I know the only difference is a couple of listen only channels and 125w instead of the 150w. The M801E was passed certified by the European people and Australia followed this spec.

I just thought some where someone may know a cheaper source for the boards I was going to swap out all the electrics.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:32   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Perhaps you might get lucky on eBay and be able to purchase one from a boat or sailor who has swallowed the anchor, or from someone re-equipping the boat with sat phones.

A lot of people look at SSBs the way they looked at sextants in the early '90s: a technology ready for replacement.

Naturally, I just bought a 802 and own three sextants. The utility of broadcast, sailmail and cruisers' nets, not to mention weatherfax and news reports, etc. will mean near daily use.

The need to teach my son the sort of math they seem to think negatively affects self-esteem in schools means that the sextants will see use as well.

And yes, I love GPS. I don't love single points of potential failure. I carry a sounder, and a lead line. Why not?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Yes the type approval is only necessary for commercial vessels in survey, as far as I know the only difference is a couple of listen only channels and 125w instead of the 150w. The M801E was passed certified by the European people and Australia followed this spec........
Err... not quite technically correct although this is a common belief in Oz. It stems from the fact that surveyed vessels are the only ones that are checked for compliance.

All radio transmitters of any sort whatsoever that are used in Australia for any purpose are required to have the ACMA "C-tick" of approval permanently affixed to the unit. The M801E has this tick, the M802 doesn't. Icom Australia used to sell the M802 for export only (foreign flagged vessels etc) but whether they still do is uncertain (to me); I know they no longer advertise it as such. You are correct with the 125 watts, that is the maximum power allowed by ACMA in Oz (for private use anyway).

And yes, there are some (many?) in operation around the traps!

Good luck with finding the PCBs etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The need to teach my son the sort of math they seem to think negatively affects self-esteem in schools means that the sextants will see use as well.
sorry , its an aside, but addition and subtraction is regarded as negatively affecting their self-esteem.Ive never seen schools do that, Calculus maybe, sums no.

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

without knowing the provenance of 2nd hand radio boards, I say your wasting your time. Obviously the only source of spare parts is through ICOM, as manufacturers jealously guard such sources to prevent unauthorized rebuilding. ( especially where type certification is present). So unless you're extremely lucky its $$$$$

Dave

Tags
icom