Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2016, 09:22   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Icom 7300?

I've got my Icom 802 still in the box and now the 7300 comes along. Any comments on why I shouldn't trade up?
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 10:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,038
Images: 4
Re: Icom 7300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I've got my Icom 802 still in the box and now the 7300 comes along. Any comments on why I shouldn't trade up?
Yeah, you'd be trading across, not up!

The IC7300 is a ham radio, not a marine radio, and illegal to use on the marine bands.

The M802 is an excellent marine radio which also works well (and is legal) to use on the ham bands if you have a ham license.

Depends on what you plan to do with the radio.

Bill
WA6CCA
__________________

__________________
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 11:04   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Posts: 244
Re: Icom 7300?

Yeah, exactly what Bill said. Panbo has a weird article up about the 7300 that seems to be a misunderstanding of what the 7300 actually is: a standard HF + 6 meter Ham radio. The only thing new is that this marks the first time one of the big 3 (Icom, SH, Kenwood) have released a radio with a direct down convert receiver, i.e. SDR instead of an analog superhet receiver. So far it looks very promising in terms of performance but that has really nothing to do with marine SSB. I guess I will point out that there are MARS mods already up around the net for it so that TX can be opened up on marine bands. But as with any Ham radio transmitting on marine ham bands in anything other than an emergency is both illegal and potentially interference generating on adjacent marine channels. I doubt the TX performance of this radio is any better than other Icom radios. There is also no DSC. Stick with the 802.

Icom has announced a new SSB called the GM800 but I don't think it's shipping anywhere yet. There weren't a lot of details on it last I searched, but it appears to be aimed at GMDSS usage, i.e. commercial shipping. So it's possible it's not intended to replace the 802, but instead augment it for the commercial marine market. If that's true it's likely to be a lot more expensive than the 802.
__________________
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 12:03   #4
Registered User
 
ka4wja's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,033
Re: Icom 7300?

Roy,
Bill and gjorgensen are correct....
Stick with your M-802....
(and watch the videos and read the stickies)

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr


HF-DSC Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX


Offshore Weather Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY



Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use / proeprly-install SSB, & troubleshoot RFI, etc.)

Icom M-802 Instr Videos(basic-adv) & LIVE DSC-Distress Call

New HF-DSC Explanation and LIVE Demonstration Videos






Regarding the Icom GM-800....
Yes, it is a GMDSS compliant HF-DSC-SSB-Radiotelephone (which is what the M-801GMDSS was supposed to be, but when the EU changed some rules, Icom said WTF and stopped production of it)...
BUT....
But, understand that the GM-800 is a 24vdc / 110-250vac radio, NOT a 12vdc radio....and it has some GMDSS features that nobody on a cruising boat needs (or wants)!
(and quite possibly is not capable of out-of-band operation / ham band operation???)
So, for anything smaller than the MegaYacht crowd, it's the M-802 that is THE radio, not the GM-800...(not to mention that the GM-800 is > twice the price of the M-802...possibly even 3 times the price...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Icom has announced a new SSB called the GM800 but I don't think it's shipping anywhere yet. There weren't a lot of details on it last I searched, but it appears to be aimed at GMDSS usage, i.e. commercial shipping. So it's possible it's not intended to replace the 802, but instead augment it for the commercial marine market. If that's true it's likely to be a lot more expensive than the 802.



Fair winds..

John
__________________
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 18:42   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Posts: 244
Re: Icom 7300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Regarding the Icom GM-800....
Yes, it is a GMDSS compliant HF-DSC-SSB-Radiotelephone (which is what the M-801GMDSS was supposed to be, but when the EU changed some rules, Icom said WTF and stopped production of it)...
BUT....
But, understand that the GM-800 is a 24vdc / 110-250vac radio, NOT a 12vdc radio....and it has some GMDSS features that nobody on a cruising boat needs (or wants)!
(and quite possibly is not capable of out-of-band operation / ham band operation???)
So, for anything smaller than the MegaYacht crowd, it's the M-802 that is THE radio, not the GM-800...(not to mention that the GM-800 is > twice the price of the M-802...possibly even 3 times the price...)
Good point on amateur bands. My understanding is that SOLAS/GMDSS radios from other manufacturers are not capable of operating in ham bands, at least not without a heavy-handed modification. That makes sense given the use case for a GMDSS radio: continuous DSC watch keeping and operation for marine safety and rescue operations on the various marine SSB channels. It would probably be desirable to NOT allow their use on ham bands. The ships couldn't conduct any business on the ham bands, and marine safety would be carried out on the marine bands. I'm with you that I think that radio will be extremely expensive.

As an aside, I think if you want to carry a ham radio in addition to an SSB, the 7300 may turn out to be an excellent choice if it proves to perform as well as it appears to so far. It's compact, the receiver works quite well, although not nearly as good as SDR rigs from smaller manufacturers (e.g. Flex, which are much more expensive), it's easy to use, and the RX power draw is considerably less than most superhet radios including the 802. It's certainly not the first or best SDR rig on the market, but may fill a nice niche for boaters if you don't need the punch of a Kenwood TS-480hx.
__________________
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 14:06   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Camden, ME
Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Posts: 664
Icom 7300?

I would recommend an Elecraft K3S if you want a great ham rig to complement an M802. Compact, almost unparalleled receiver performance, and low transmit IMD. Its an SDR with knobs, but omits the flash of most of the "KenYaeCom" rigs. Lots of options you can install yourself or have the factory do it. Ongoing direct factory hardware support and regular firmware upgrades. Made in USA.

OK, Elecraft Fanboy mode Off. 😁

Chip


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 14:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,038
Images: 4
Re: Icom 7300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
I would recommend an Elecraft K3S if you want a great ham rig to complement an M802. Compact, almost unparalleled receiver performance, and low transmit IMD. Its an SDR with knobs, but omits the flash of most of the "KenYaeCom" rigs. Lots of options you can install yourself or have the factory do it. Ongoing direct factory hardware support and regular firmware upgrades. Made in USA.

OK, Elecraft Fanboy mode Off. ��

Chip


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chip,

The Elecraft K3S....like all Elecraft products...is a wonderful piece of gear. Unparalleled, really.

However, IMHO it's a poor choice for onboard use, because inter alia:

. it's cost is over $3,000
. it doesn't even have a general coverage receiver, without the option
. it's incredibly complicated and daunting for many hams, particularly new ones
. there are many other ham radio choices which have excellent performance and cost much less.

There are dozens of good ham rigs suitable for marine use, both new and used, priced from about $200 used to $1,500 new.

While I'd love to have the Elecraft K3S in my shack at home, I'd be very unwilling to put this great piece of gear on my boat.

By the way, I see we have somewhat the same taste in boats: I had a Catalina 22 for 10 years & loved it, and I lusted after the Valiant 40 for many years before settling on another Perry-designed boat with a similar underbody: the Golden Wave 42, which I've cruised for 25+ years.

Bill
WA6CCA
__________________

__________________
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
icom

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: ICOM HAM/SSB radio, GAM antenna and ICOM AH-4 tuner. All for $899.00 Jentine Classifieds Archive 0 04-07-2013 11:00
For Sale: ICOM M802 SSB, ICOM AT-140 Tuner, Pactor PTCIIpro with III Paul L Classifieds Archive 1 25-07-2012 19:34
Program for owners of Icom GP-270ML GPS NormR Marine Electronics 0 09-08-2004 13:36
Excellent Info' from Icom GordMay Marine Electronics 0 26-03-2004 04:28



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.