Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 20:03   #31

Re: Icom 710RT Cloning / Programming Software

If anyone could send me a copy of EX2144 I would be very, very happy!
Simon

s.k.clay@talk21.com
c152flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:35   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just to update this thread for future reference purposes:

I did finally track down the software (both EX1726 and EX2144). EX2144 is for the ICOM-710RT. The necessary cable you can find on eBay or other electronics sources.

Now for the potentially more difficult part. These are both MS-DOS applications which require direct access to COM port registers. This means they will NOT work under Windows (including Windows emulated MS-DOS). They will run under Windows emulated DOS, but their COM interface won't work properly. You must run them under native MS DOS on a machine with a physical serial (COM) port. Most newer machines don't have serial ports anymore. Just happened that in my case I had access to an old machine which had one.

To deal with the MS-DOS issue, what I did was create a bootable MS-DOS CD which also contained a copy of EX2114. There are several pieces of software readily available that will do this for you. I used Create Ms-Dos BootCD - Hiren's Bootable CD - www.hiren.info. Then it was just a matter of hooking it all up and booting the old machine using the MS DOS boot image.

The boot image I created was MS-DOS 5.0.

The change itself was quick and easy and I prefer it to making uncertain hardware modifications.

Re cutting diodes on the 710RT. I have not tried this solution and I have read conflicting reports about whether it works on the RT specifically.

Note I did not use this software to enable operation on any frequencies for which the radio is not authorized. I only used it to enable storing the TX frequency with user memory channels (a feature which I can't fathom why ICOM turned off in the first place).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:44   #33

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

When I got my M710 I checked it out by checking in on the 14.3 net and was able to check in so my ham band seemed to work. Now that I am on the boat and trying to operate on ham bands once again but am having no luck. I cant remember how I did it. When I punch in the freq's I always end up on duplex.
Anybody got a pointer?

Skip
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 18:10   #34

I'm also trying to track down this software to cloan an ICOM 710RT. It looks like the software I need is the EX2114. Can anyone provide a link where I can download this software?
Bill
MissPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38   #35

PM me your email address and I can send to you along with related info for use.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:49   #36

Sorry for reanimating an old thread.
I found a USB cable compatible at ebay.ca > affordableradio
with
"USB programming cable Icom IC-M710 IC-M700 OPC-552 GM-110DSC marine radio"

Has somebody used such a cable?
Otherwise I will use a Lenovo x61s docking station where the RS232 is COM1.
I have only found the software EX1726 for my M710 on some high virus risk sites.
Can somebody send me a PM.
I am familar with other cloning software from ICOM.
Thanks, Wilhelm
Old 20-12-2013, 03:08   #37

If anybody is searching these items:
I found the cloning software in ebay from a shop in Taiwan.
"NEW ICOM EX-1726 Programming Software only for IC-M710"
And I will use a RC232 cable connected to the docking station of my old X61s.
It has a RS232 with COM1.
Thanks, Wilhelm
Old 20-12-2013, 09:44   #38

I've got both EX2144 (for 710RT) and EX1726. Just PM me your email address and I will send to you.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:48   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk-an-bord.de View Post
Sorry for reanimating an old thread.
I found a USB cable compatible at ebay.ca > affordableradio
with
"USB programming cable Icom IC-M710 IC-M700 OPC-552 GM-110DSC marine radio"

Has somebody used such a cable?
Otherwise I will use a Lenovo x61s docking station where the RS232 is COM1.
I have only found the software EX1726 for my M710 on some high virus risk sites.
Can somebody send me a PM.
I am familar with other cloning software from ICOM.
Thanks, Wilhelm
The old EX software will NOT work with USB emulators. It will only function running under native MS-DOS (not Windows emulation...you must boot to MS-DOS) and a physical COM port.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:54   #40

Note also that many of the bit torrent and similar sites which claim to have this software are bogus...they will claim to have anything you search for and link you to more bogus adware sites and/or load you up with malware/viruses.

I have original virus free copies.
Old 20-12-2013, 10:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've got both EX2144 (for 710RT) and EX1726. Just PM me your email address and I will send to you.
I will send you a private mail.
Thanks,
Old 20-12-2013, 10:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by crui1948 View Post
That would be helpful.
My private mail is ...
The notebook X61s has in the docking station a COM1 and RS232.
Thanks, Wilhelm
Email sent.

Don't know how the docking station COM/RS232 is implemented, but I think the EX software uses direct UART register access. So unless there is a UART chip on the monther board I suspect it wont work, but no way to know till you try.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:31   #43

Boat: Valiant 40

This is an old post but I hope someone will be reading it. I currently own an old Icom M710RT radio. It was modified before I bought it ( software or hardware I dont know) to transmit on HAM frequencies. I almost never talk on HAM frequencies but I do use HAM mail all over the world.

Now I have purchased a NEW TO ME Icom 710RT and will likely need to get it to transmit on HAM frequencies. I wont recieve it for 10 days but then will need to sail off almost immediately, HAM frequencies or not...so hope someone can help. Ive dug all over the internet and from what i can tell I need to get the ex2144 software to do this. BUt i cant find it anywhere...can anyone help?

Rebecca Childress
sv Brick House
RTAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:44   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTAFT View Post
This is an old post but I hope someone will be reading it. I currently own an old Icom M710RT radio. It was modified before I bought it ( software or hardware I dont know) to transmit on HAM frequencies. I almost never talk on HAM frequencies but I do use HAM mail all over the world.

Now I have purchased a NEW TO ME Icom 710RT and will likely need to get it to transmit on HAM frequencies. I wont recieve it for 10 days but then will need to sail off almost immediately, HAM frequencies or not...so hope someone can help. Ive dug all over the internet and from what i can tell I need to get the ex2144 software to do this. BUt i cant find it anywhere...can anyone help?

Rebecca Childress
sv Brick House
PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:28   #45

Thank you everyone who responded. I now have a copy of the ex2144 software, and will save it on my computer for anyone who needs it in the future. Feel free to drop me an email at rebecca dot childress at yahoo dot com and I will send it when I am at a port somewhere. Thanks again Belizesailor and others who responded.

I have another question. If I read the 710RT user manual from Icom, it says I can use the RS232 plug on the FRONT of the tranciever box to my PC. The directions dont go in much detail. DO I need to custom build a cable or can I use a regular male/female DB9 RS232 cable to use the software?

Thanks again,

Also - I used a program called Rufus that boots my PC to DOS, and then also has the ex2144 software on it and everything works except it doesnt talk to my radio yet. I made a custom cable according to some other web site but it was for the REMOTE RS232 port on the back of the tranciever...which I can not pry my Pactor modem off of my old unit its so rusted on. Is there any reason a regular RS232 wont work on the FRONT RS232 port on the front of the 710RT? Hope that makes sense. There are direections to make custom cables for the REMOTE on the BACK of the tranceiver, but how about for the RS232 on the FRONT of the tranceiver? DO I need a special cable for THAT plug in? Icom says that this is the port to use to program it, but dont specify any special cable to do so, so I am assuming its a normal male/female DB9 RS232 cable???

Thanks! Rebecca

Rebecca
rchildress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom